Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he was, by all indications, odd man out. That teammates didn't recognize this makes me wonder why he was odd man out.

his HS coach says the simple answer is as a guy that was raised by harvard lawyers, went to an elite high school, stanford, etc... of course he would be the odd man out. hed likely stand out in many locker rooms at that point. he didnt go to some football factory high school come from a football family and go to an SEC college or anything. hes from a different world.

You are so smug and presumptuous, it just makes me laugh out loud.

Is that because I'm not jumping on the easy band wagon of dumping on Incognito? The guy has been a PoS his whole career. But why is there silence from the Miami lockerrom and other former players? This is not the thin blue line. A lot of former players shouldn't be afraid to cross that line, but haven't yet. Why is nobody bringing up the conversation that Wood had with Jay Skurski, where Wood had ample opportunity to throw Richie under the bus and refused to do so?

It's very easy to dump on Incognito and deservedly so. But that still doesn't answer the Martin question. No one is discussing that the inflammatory voice mails that RI left in April were the result of Martin being completely absent from OTAs and apparently nobody knowing his whereabouts. To me it sounds like the OL and the Miami staff were perfectly comfortable in having RI reach out to Martin. Obviously, that was a bad idea. But it also puts more of the context behind the relationship between Martin and his team mates.

If there's smugness in my tone, it's because I don't live in a hyperfantasy that football players are model citizens. My cognitive dissonance is removing the person from the sport. If I didn't do that, I couldn't stand to be a fan.

PS - any reason you singled that post to respond to?

Edited by GG

do we have any indication that martin hasnt tried telling him to stop?

This is the last I'll say on the topic, at least for now, but it's not what you say, but how you say it. He probably never had to learn how to stand up to a bully b/c he probably never got picked on. I have been picked on and learned how to deal with bullies. Now it seems obvious to me, but I had to learn and develop that strength and ability that apparently Martin & many here never did.

because you are glad that you think that our guy might be straight and their guy might be gay?

id hope our team wouldnt act like a bunch of idiots regardless of which side of that draft pick we ended up on.

Look.

First Martin is not very good from what i have seen. Forget about all this stuff

Second i could care less if Martin is gay or straight, but i am not one of his team mates.

Third you are living in a fantasy world if you think being gay(if Martin is) is an easy thing to have for an NFL locker room.

And yes i am glad the Bills picked Glenn for many reasons. No not because Martin may be gay, but if he is it will be a huge issue. Causing all kinds of distractions. Sorry it just will and you know it. Divisions will occur, they do when something like this enters into a locker room. Unfortunate yes, but reality none the less. In a perfect world anyone gay or straight could play football and not have to fear taunting or harrasment. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. While players may say one thing during an interview because their agent tells them they better say it, how they really feel can not be disguised in the heat of the moment.

Is that because I'm not jumping on the easy band wagon of dumping on Incognito? The guy has been a PoS his whole career. But why is there silence from the Miami lockerrom and other former players? This is not the thin blue line. A lot of former players shouldn't be afraid to cross that line, but haven't yet. Why is nobody bringing up the conversation that Wood had with Jay Skurski, where Wood had ample opportunity to throw Richie under the bus and refused to do so?

It's very easy to dump on Incognito and deservedly so. But that still doesn't answer the Martin question. No one is discussing that the inflammatory voice mails that RI left in April were the result of Martin being completely absent from OTAs and apparently nobody knowing his whereabouts. To me it sounds like the OL and the Miami staff were perfectly comfortable in having RI reach out to Martin. Obviously, that was a bad idea. But it also puts more of the context behind the relationship between Martin and his team mates.

If there's smugness in my tone, it's because I don't live in a hyperfantasy that football players are model citizens. My cognitive dissonance is removing the person from the sport. If I didn't do that, I couldn't stand to be a fan.

PS - any reason you singled that post to respond to?

Well, the NFL and its teams apparently live in a fantasy land where laws that apply to everyone else do not apply to them...

This is the last I'll say on the topic, at least for now, but it's not what you say, but how you say it. He probably never had to learn how to stand up to a bully b/c he probably never got picked on. I have been picked on and learned how to deal with bullies. Now it seems obvious to me, but I had to learn and develop that strength and ability that apparently Martin & many here never did.

I also grew up dealing with bullies, and I have also had some experience dealing bullying in a professional environment. I was smart enough not try and apply what I learned in high school at my office. Just because they're playing a game doesn't mean that professionalism should be thrown out the window.

Well, the NFL and its teams apparently live in a fantasy land where laws that apply to everyone else do not apply to them...

Considering it's legal in the NFL to knock out another person unconscious, I'd say it's not a fantasy.

Basic question: why is quitting a job you don't like because the work environment is intolerable somehow considered "not standing up for yourself"? Seems like a category error to me.

Was that the real reason he quit? Or did he quit because of the pressure put on him by his teammates because he wasn't good at his job?

Was that the real reason he quit? Or did he quit because of the pressure put on him by his teammates because he wasn't good at his job?

I don't know. I also don't know how good he was. He was a starter, which suggest he was moderately decent at least. Lots of players are below average in the NFL -- 40 percent by my reckoning, if you assume a middle ground of 20 percent. He was only a second year player, and lots of average-tier linemen get better over time.

I don't know. I also don't know how good he was. He was a starter, which suggest he was moderately decent at least. Lots of players are below average in the NFL -- 40 percent by my reckoning, if you assume a middle ground of 20 percent. He was only a second year player, and lots of average-tier linemen get better over time.

He could have improved. But as I recounted earlier, this meltdown occurred a week after the team traded for Bryant McKinnie. Are the two related? I don't know, but the timing is odd. What exactly happened in the cafeteria that made him snap? And a cafeteria is a very public team space and it's doubtful that it was just Martin and Incognito there. So why aren't more Dolphin players saying anything, even off the record? Why did it take a week for the team to cut Incognito? There's a lot more to the story than what's being written.

If the story was as cut and dry as being reported, there would be an avalanche of "team sources" talking to ESPN right now.

I think I will go down the hall tomorrow at work, knock on the door of the guy who continually underperforms at his job, and see if threatening to take a dump down his throat will help matters. Or maybe I will just suggest that I am going to track down this guy's family and hurting them.

kj

The fact that he never went to his HC says something.

Martin is a very intelligent guy. he knows he should go to his 'boss' if something is not right at work. The fact he did not says Martin has another agenda. what that is we shall see.

It also may say that he did not think his "boss" would do anything about it.

Also, after the cafeteria incident (which apparently was the straw that broke the camel's back), he probably did not do that much thinking other than say to himself "!@#$ this ****. I am not taking this **** anymore."

He could have improved. But as I recounted earlier, this meltdown occurred a week after the team traded for Bryant McKinnie. Are the two related? I don't know, but the timing is odd. What exactly happened in the cafeteria that made him snap? And a cafeteria is a very public team space and it's doubtful that it was just Martin and Incognito there. So why aren't more Dolphin players saying anything, even off the record? Why did it take a week for the team to cut Incognito? There's a lot more to the story than what's being written.

If the story was as cut and dry as being reported, there would be an avalanche of "team sources" talking to ESPN right now.

I forgot about McKinnie's arrival on the scene. Now there's an upstanding individual!

Christ - between Pouncey (free Aaron Hernandez!!), McKinnie, and Incognito, why would any intelligent (35 on the Wonderlic) and apparently nice guy ever want to leave???

Edited by dave mcbride