Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

It seems like a bit more than that. Character assassination in a business where these things are important (accusing him of being a drug addict) and harrassing someone on the phone including the claim that you are going to sh-- in their mouth seem like a bit more than just "the N word." It's all part of a larger story. Deadspin is just spitting out the most culturally provocative bits of an inherently juicy story.

Was it s*** or was it a more disgusting three letter word?

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Obviously that is an inapropriate word, but to focus on that here misses the entire point. The point is Incognito is a maniac and there are other idiots in the locker room who are now defending this. Time these kids, and they are kids, in the NFL learn a bit about the real world and how to act in society.

To an extent I understand that it will never be like a normal work enviroment there...but these guys needs to be given a lesson is real world adult behavior. This is shameful, and it isn't about the N-word.

Exactly.

Like someone else said above - try this sh-- at your workplace and see how long you last. Unless you work somewhere like VICE magazine where it's hip to be a mysogynist a--hole and racism is A-OK as long as you're joking about it, it's not going to end well for you.

What deserves acting like an a-hole in retaliation? Two rights don't make a wrong. Who cares what Martin said to Incognito - Incognito's response is not appropriate in hindsight. If it would have been a spur of the moment one time type attack then maybe it'd be easier to rationalize but that RI continued this type of treatment makes me wonder a lot about what was going on with Martin. Some people like to be bullied and picked on, some people just play that role too well and it's all they know.

That was my point. It seemed like you were defending incognito earlier by suggesting there was more to the story.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I'm kind of surprised Martin didnt stand up to Incognito. Even more surprised a teammate(s) didnt stand up and say...enough is enough. I think Martin is bigger than Incognito. It takes a certain personality but I'm surprised he didnt say...tomorrow...at this time we go at it and I'm gonna break your nose in front of this entire football team.

I realize it wouldn't be the right thing to do but in the "salty" confines of a locker room mentality...not entirely out of line. A good ole fashioned 55 gallon drum ass-whoopin is probably just what Incognito needs.

It probably doesn't help that incognito was on philbins leadership council. Also, we're talking about a Stanford grad, maybe a bit smarter than your average lineman.

This story is getting weirder by the minute. I'm sure some of it is just speculation, but if Martin is being hassled as alleged, then there's definitely a leadership problem in the locker room. Nobody should have to put up with that at their job.

I do believe this is why the Bills let the guy go.

He was in therapy for anger management, and probably still needs help. Both players have mental problems it seems.

Incognito throwing a fit at a bar shirtless. Nsfw language (including the "n-word" for rob). Nothing too shocking from him, but certainly not normal behavior either and I think it helps give a face for the types of fits the dude can throw.

Edited by NoSaint

And of course:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/richie_incognito_easiest_teammate_to_scare_was_jonathan_martin_according_to_gameday_program.html

"Two things Ritchie incognito doesn't like taxes and rookies" sign in his locker (go dolphins!)

And "easiest teammate to scare?" "Martin" in the team program.

Add that to the hard knocks clips and maaaaaybe were seeing some signs the dolphins should be totally shocked he was a bit of pain to the young guys on the team and not leadership council material

Before making the Dolphins, Incognito could be fairly described as a journeyman. Where the F does this guy get off acting like like some premier veteran?

Seems to me like he enjoys the power trip and feeling like a big man by virtue of nothing but a few extra years in the game. To me, it's a HUGE red flag when someone who has been through what should have been some humbling situations responds like this.

Before making the Dolphins, Incognito could be fairly described as a journeyman. Where the F does this guy get off acting like like some premier veteran?

Seems to me like he enjoys the power trip and feeling like a big man by virtue of nothing but a few extra years in the game. To me, it's a HUGE red flag when someone who has been through what should have been some humbling situations responds like this.

Probably not a perfect comparison, but remember the BB.com video of an OL outing when Wood & Levitre were rookies? They all treated Seth Kinney as a respected veteran, and there's no better definition of a journeyman than McKinney. I know what you're saying, but a lot of times, the journeyman is a perfect mentor. Richie Incognito was an ass the first moment he stepped onto any football field. Has nothing to do with whether he was an all-pro or a journeyman who bounced around the league.

Probably not a perfect comparison, but remember the BB.com video of an OL outing when Wood & Levitre were rookies? They all treated Seth Kinney as a respected veteran, and there's no better definition of a journeyman than McKinney. I know what you're saying, but a lot of times, the journeyman is a perfect mentor. Richie Incognito was an ass the first moment he stepped onto any football field. Has nothing to do with whether he was an all-pro or a journeyman who bounced around the league.

Fair enough. Your point is better - being a vet doesn't earn you the right to be a dick; but Incognito has been one for the duration of his career.

My main point was that even in a world where being a vet earns you... something, this guy would do well to act like someone who has been given many second chances. Not so.

So ... it looks like Richie Incognito's dad is as much of a reprehensible human being as his son! I wonder if any parents of Bills players haunt this board: http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230

I just read this story and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. What a couple of idiots.

My dad and I were talking earlier and he was saying how there are a few people that sports would just be better off without and Incognito is one. I couldn't agree more, dirty player on the field and an idiot off. Here's hoping he just goes away...

Dolphins officials are basically saying he's done with the team.

http://deadspin.com/report-richie-incognito-will-never-play-another-game-a-1458305554

Will be interesting to see if any other teams would indeed pick him up. I could imagine there are teams that privately have no problem with what he does, that wouldn't sign him because of the PR repercussions.

I've been listening to sports talk radio on and off the entire day. I've heard a lot of opinions on this incident, but only a few people have questioned the leadership in the locker room. This was my question. The coaches can't watch every player and everybody's behavior. That's where the team leaders step in before things get out of hand, and it sounds like this got way out of hand a long time ago. During training camp and pre season, there's always a lot of pranks/hazing etc. But once the season gets underway, things should be a little more serious. Lunch room pranks like the one that set Martin off should be at a minimum at this point in the season.

I've been listening to sports talk radio on and off the entire day. I've heard a lot of opinions on this incident, but only a few people have questioned the leadership in the locker room. This was my question. The coaches can't watch every player and everybody's behavior. That's where the team leaders step in before things get out of hand, and it sounds like this got way out of hand a long time ago. During training camp and pre season, there's always a lot of pranks/hazing etc. But once the season gets underway, things should be a little more serious. Lunch room pranks like the one that set Martin off should be at a minimum at this point in the season.

The problem is the coach named incognito one of the locker room leaders.

If he knew and decided to name him a leader - he should probably be canned.

If he was so far out of touch that he had no idea RI was a head case he should probably be canned.

Organizational ignorance is the obvious card to play here but it's not good for philbin

Edited by NoSaint

This reminds me a little bit of the Penn State situation (obviously nowhere near as egregious). I am referring more to the lack of institutional control and all of his ridiculousness going on right in front of their faces. To No Saint's point if Rihie Incignito is one of your leaders this situation should not come across as a surprise. What a terrible organization.