Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

I'd take him on this team at left guard any day. I think some of the leaders in the Bills locker could keep his butt in check.

That's pretty shortsighted. As NoSaint wrote in the Jonathan Martin/AWOL thread:

So he was booted mid season from Nebraska, the rams and now Miami, and despite an option to keep him for cheap we passed.

Good track record.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know its a Veterans jobs to ride the Rookies and second year players so they learn the system and how the team functions.

we still haven't heard what this guy did to Martin.

is it something physical emotional racial?

whatever it is Martin kind of sounds like a candy ass to me. you're a offensive lineman for god sake you're supposed to knock things over.

That's pretty shortsighted. As NoSaint wrote in the Jonathan Martin/AWOL thread:

Ok, so you have a locker room with 53+ guys and not one of them can stand up and say knock it off in a not so friendly kind of way? 53 men, can't keep 1 in check? Really? 53 tough as nails football players cant keep 1 alleged bully in check?

I don't buy that for a minute. The entire NFL knows Incognito is a grade A douche. I just don't think that we are getting the whole story.

This situation is about to get completely crazy. Rumors of Martin paying $15k for Vegas trip he didn't even go to. Other rookies paying thousands to other veterans for social outings, etc. Way above the norm of the "rookie tax" that everyone knows exists as an unwritten rule in NFL lockerrooms.

Now word has come out that Martin went to Philbin this spring about the same concerns, and was even contemplating leaving the team. Philbin told him he would "handle" the situation.

What makes that critical is that the Dolphins are claiming that they "never new about any issues until this week". Secondly, I found it galling that one of their players left for reasons that SOMEONE on that team had to know of, especially coaches (especially Philbin) and then they come out with a statement saying they have no knowledge of any bullying going on and that no one was being investigated, and that Martin had not brought anything to their attenition? That's almost as if the Dolphins were baiting Martin, daring him to "break the code" of a player such as Incognito who it was written was well respected on the team, one of the 6 captains, and won the "good guy of the year award" in 2012.

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Hostile work environment. Doesn't matter if it's at a grocery store or involving a bunch of millionaires. Harassment is harassment.

I take that as the Dolphins were on the side of Incognito, knowing the situation. Incognito makes another boneheaded move by threatening sports writers who broke the story such as Adam Schefter ala a bully by saying "you know where you can find me" and to "bring it". Idiot.

In the end, I predict that more Dolphins are going to be implicated. I also predict that Philbin (and maybe other coaches) will be fined, suspended or even terminated for what happens. This is going to shake this team to the core, and what seemed to be a great 3-0 start is going to turn this season into a nightmare. I also think this is going to change the culture of NFL lockerrooms moving forward. For better or worse. After this season, new guidelines will be in place. Based on the barometer of social consciousness, the locker room will never be the same.

Edited by dezertbill

I read that Richie I. made Martin pay $15K towards some party that he wasn't even going to, and there is more regarding this type of thing.

I think that stuff really is bullying and BS. I remember listening to Jon Corto, who had a show with Brad Riter.........He said that the day before, Kawika Mitchell and the vet linebackers made the rookies pay for steak dinners.................In NYC! They had probably a private jet to get them there, as well as a top of the line Manhattan steak house...........Corto said "I don't make that much money."..........I thought it sucked because you knew he was a guy who would maybe only play a few years, so he really couldn't afford that crap.

This is going to blow up nationwide. Word is Martin originally spoke to Philbin back in April after paying the $15K for trip to Vegas that he didn't go to. Philbin said he would handle it yet it still went on. Then Dolphins release statement saying they weren't aware of anything and needed Martin's statement today to act?

A strong rumor swirling is that Martin is gay.. His nickname is "Big Weirdo" and people are associating that name with his sexual orientation. If that's the case, WOW! This is going to get much uglier before it's settled. Dolphin vets crossed the line harassing him and other rookies forcing them to pay for trips, nights out, dinners etc that went above and beyond what other teams were doing....and it could cost the coaches , Incognito and maybe other coaches/players their jobs.

Bullying is a toxic word in society these days, and if the rumors of his sexual orientation are true this is going to hit a level that is going to touch all sports, pro...college, or high school.

It could also end up in the courts. This whole issue could be a huge black eye for the Dolphins

Edited by dezertbill

This is going to blow up nationwide. Word is Martin originally spoke to Philbin back in April after paying the $15K for trip to Vegas that he didn't go to. Philbin said he would handle it yet it still went on. Then Dolphins release statement saying they weren't aware of anything and needed Martin's statement today to act?

A strong rumor swirling is that Martin is gay.. His nickname is "Big Weirdo" and people are associating that name with his sexual orientation. If that's the case, WOW! This is going to get much uglier before it's settled. Dolphin vets crossed the line harassing him and other rookies forcing them to pay for trips, nights out, dinners etc that went above and beyond what other teams were doing....and it could cost the coaches , Incognito and maybe other coaches/players their jobs.

Bullying is a toxic word in society these days, and if the rumors of his sexual orientation are true this is going to hit a level that is going to touch all sports, pro...college, or high school.

It could also end up in the courts. This whole issue could be a huge black eye for the Dolphins

The Dolphins actually used his extremely bad reputation in an ad to promote fan responsibility, seriously...

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/2013-Fan-Conduct-with-Richie-Incognito/4c34855f-79e3-4157-bb5d-9e99590af666

guy is seriously mentally weak, Allegedly Incognito was "Bullying" him, if so kick his ass and then you'll be best friends, every generation is getting softer and softer.

Seriously you are gona quit one of the most lucrative and sought after jobs in America because people are picking on you :doh:

edit: I can see I'm gona get grilled on this but I have my own mental issues (which i'm sure most of you think anyway) which got me Harassed every friggin day as youngster, but when I stood up for myself the treatment go a whole lot better. But as an adult it also caused problems with my bosses but I learned real quick that if I wanted to keep my job I better do what the boss says even if he is a moron or completely wrong.

Don't know what his problem is but walking away from the team is not the way to do it, If you need help keep working and get help at the same time.

There may the likely hood that he is gay and Incognito being the total jerk he is may have been harassing him for weeks with others also jumping on board. We do not have enough info to suggested any illness, mental or other wise. If he is gay this may be the event that allows the NFL to change it's culture. I say more people like Martin and less idiots like Incognito would best for everyone

welllll then.... this is going to go down long term in nfl history and not be soon forgotten it looks like. Richie may have cemented a legacy that will last generations to come if this plays out as ugly as it has potential to.

I found it pretty telling when he was coming across as trying to bully the media into clearing him yesterday. i also enjoy that his dad in those posts (assuming its him) is defending that he was just joking around when picking on a guy that he in the same sentence claims has tried to kill himself 3 times. reasonable fellow.

Edited by NoSaint

Didn't a number of posters take Bills front office to task for not doing all they could to keep Incognito ?

Not this one. And I know I wasn't the only one glad to dump a dirty player. If I recall correctly, it was a little puzzling that the Bills chose not to tender Incognito as an RFA, but then Kawika Mitchell made some incendiary remarks about him on twitter that cast a little more light on the situation. I.e., that Incognito was a royal douche whose teammates hated him, or at least some of his teammates hated him.

Ok, so you have a locker room with 53+ guys and not one of them can stand up and say knock it off in a not so friendly kind of way? 53 men, can't keep 1 in check? Really? 53 tough as nails football players cant keep 1 alleged bully in check?

I don't buy that for a minute. The entire NFL knows Incognito is a grade A douche. I just don't think that we are getting the whole story.

I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately, there are enough impressionistic young men playing football that tend to fall in line behind douches like Incognito, like kids on a playground, that the lockerroom will get out of control pretty quickly. The constant effort needed to dissuade a guy like Richie cannot possibly be worth it when there are Kraig Urbiks with potential out there on other team's practice squads.

I'd say at the very least, the fact he's been dumped by every team he's played on is a sure enough sign that his talent isn't deemed irreplaceable so it's just much easier to replace him.