Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

Did anyone watch hard knocks when the dolphins were on during Martins rookie year? They were really making fun of him a lot then too. He seemed like a different guy and they were always calling him Big Weirdo. Mike Pouncey seemed like the ring leader

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a mental issue, why is he out there making a profession out of hitting people?

I honestly think that playing at Stanford and playing for a random NFL team (which is what the Dolphins are now) are two entirely different things.

As for Mike Pouncey, he sounds like a grade-A thug: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-authorities-are-looking-at-mike-pouncey-as-more-than-a-witness/

Edited by dave mcbride

I honestly think that playing at Stanford and playing for a random NFL team (which is what the Dolphins are now) are two entirely different things.

As for Mike Pouncey, he sounds like a grade-A thug: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-authorities-are-looking-at-mike-pouncey-as-more-than-a-witness/

Add incognito and McKinney and it's quite the cast of characters.

I'll try to keep cool because this is a sensitive issue for me.

The profession is irrelevant. Maybe hitting people has been his outlet. Maybe because he was good at it he was able to "hide" his anxiety/ depression behind his talent.

Mental illness strikes anyone, no matter size, strength, talent or what have you. You could have all the advantages in the world, but if the brain chemicals are not firing correctly, they are not firing correctly. I've dealt with these issues myself. It doesn't make any sense. The biggest issue for people on the outside is attempting to rationalize irrational behavior. Even if you are dealing with it, you may be fully aware that your thoughts and behavior are irrational. I personally wouldn't wish a mental illness on anyone. Depression (in my case) is awful. Try to imagine feeling weak, cold, pounding headaches, blurred vision, feeling a million miles away from people just a few inches away and anytime someone speaks it either is mumbled and impossible to understand or sounds like thousands of screaming voices directly in your ear. Food loses taste, you can't feel anything. Your world just feels bleak, like no hope exists. On top of that, you are fully aware that nothing is wrong. There is no reason to feel this way. But you do, and it doesn't go away.

Its truly an awful awful place to be. Try locking yourself in a dark closet for 24 hours and you'll get a small taste of what its like. Then stretch that out for a few weeks or months in really severe cases.

Took me over a year of once a week therapy before I was able to deal with many problems. It may not make sense to you but its no joke and frankly, I one of the lucky ones to have had the support I did. Not everyone has that and they end up in far worse places than I ever was.

I hope he is ok. Sorry to rant

Just wanted to say that I thought this was a really great post and it didn't come off as a rant at all. Glad to hear you got the help you needed and I hope if Martin is going through anything like this he gets support as well.

I was thinking of the other Dolphins OL. (see above)

From a cold hard nuts and bolts of constructing a team standpoint - with 4 out of 5 guys up front having baggage at a position group that has to act as one.... It makes a lot of sense Miami is struggling. Add Wallace being a handful and you are essentially looking at half the offensive starters.

The profession is irrelevant. Maybe hitting people has been his outlet. Maybe because he was good at it he was able to "hide" his anxiety/ depression behind his talent.

I am not whatsoever mocking mental illness. But your proximity to it perhaps prevents you from being more objective. The profession absolutely matters. Who in their right mind would let their child, who may have had signs of mental illness (and yes, there are early signs) allow them to play a sport where they continually get head trauma? Plus, it's not like Martin came from an underprivileged background. If he is mentally ill, football is one of the last professions which he should be pursuing.

I am not whatsoever mocking mental illness. But your proximity to it perhaps prevents you from being more objective. The profession absolutely matters. Who in their right mind would let their child, who may have had signs of mental illness (and yes, there are early signs) allow them to play a sport where they continually get head trauma? Plus, it's not like Martin came from an underprivileged background. If he is mentally ill, football is one of the last professions which he should be pursuing.

Not knowing at all what's going on, I'd say speculating if football was a poor choice is putting the cart before the horse

Not knowing at all what's going on, I'd say speculating if football was a poor choice is putting the cart before the horse

I beg to differ. The worst thing a football player can do is quit on his teammates. If he left the team, he either can't handle the pressure of the game, or he has his own demons to fight. In either scenario, football is not the life for him. He should focus on himself first.

Edited by GG

Mental illness strikes anyone, no matter size, strength, talent or what have you. You could have all the advantages in the world, but if the brain chemicals are not firing correctly, they are not firing correctly. I've dealt with these issues myself. It doesn't make any sense. The biggest issue for people on the outside is attempting to rationalize irrational behavior. Even if you are dealing with it, you may be fully aware that your thoughts and behavior are irrational. I personally wouldn't wish a mental illness on anyone. Depression (in my case) is awful. Try to imagine feeling weak, cold, pounding headaches, blurred vision, feeling a million miles away from people just a few inches away and anytime someone speaks it either is mumbled and impossible to understand or sounds like thousands of screaming voices directly in your ear. Food loses taste, you can't feel anything. Your world just feels bleak, like no hope exists. On top of that, you are fully aware that nothing is wrong. There is no reason to feel this way. But you do, and it doesn't go away.

Its truly an awful awful place to be. Try locking yourself in a dark closet for 24 hours and you'll get a small taste of what its like. Then stretch that out for a few weeks or months in really severe cases.

Took me over a year of once a week therapy before I was able to deal with many problems. It may not make sense to you but its no joke and frankly, I one of the lucky ones to have had the support I did. Not everyone has that and they end up in far worse places than I ever was.

+1

Real teammates would get behind Martin and support him.

You are trying to rationalize this. It is not a rational illness in any way shape or form. There are not always early signs and if they are they are often attributed to "being a teenager". I was a happy kid with lots of friends that was a good athlete and went on tons of vacations. I had my own car, a girlfriend and then one day I woke up and my entire world had changed. All of sudden, I couldn't keep friends, my grades started to suck, and my days got darker and darker.

I'm not trying to mean but you just don't get it. There is no place to be objective when it comes to anxiety or depression or bi-polar syndrome. They are totally irrational in every way you can imagine. Trying to be objective about it and say oh well they should have known is well, silly honestly. You are never "cured" of a mental illness. There is no prevention. It just happens. Treatment helps you learn how to cope and a cocktail of meds can keep you from being impulsive, but you are never "cured".

You can call him a quitter if you want. But I'd rather see a PERSON take care of themselves before I read about something far more tragic.

You are trying to rationalize this. It is not a rational illness in any way shape or form. There are not always early signs and if they are they are often attributed to "being a teenager". I was a happy kid with lots of friends that was a good athlete and went on tons of vacations. I had my own car, a girlfriend and then one day I woke up and my entire world had changed. All of sudden, I couldn't keep friends, my grades started to suck, and my days got darker and darker.

I'm not trying to mean but you just don't get it. There is no place to be objective when it comes to anxiety or depression or bi-polar syndrome. They are totally irrational in every way you can imagine. Trying to be objective about it and say oh well they should have known is well, silly honestly. You are never "cured" of a mental illness. There is no prevention. It just happens. Treatment helps you learn how to cope and a cocktail of meds can keep you from being impulsive, but you are never "cured".

You can call him a quitter if you want. But I'd rather see a PERSON take care of themselves before I read about something far more tragic.

Again, where did I write what you think I wrote? If he has a mental illness, football is the last thing for him.

Again, where did I write what you think I wrote? If he has a mental illness, football is the last thing for him.

I don't disagree. My contention with your post was saying they should have known he had a mental illness and kept him out. IMO thats just impossible to predict. Especially in a sport where the coach, parents and teammates tell you to "toughen up". Perhaps he has been trying for years to "toughen up" and it finally came out a few days ago.

It may be best for Martin to pursue another career path. But this may be the first time in his life that it has come to this point, where it has manifested itself in ways where he is finally getting the help he needs. For years my family and friends dismissed my cries for help to me being a teenager and simply growing up and it nearly killed me as a result. Like I said earlier, I was lucky to have the support I got. But it almost came too late.

Isn't the league filled with borderline and full-blown psychotics? I recall a special from way back when about the Cincy DBs from the late 80s when their careers ended: David Fulcher and Lewis Billups. We're talking psychopaths. Greg Lloyd comes to mind too.

Edited by dave mcbride

Isn't the league filled with borderline and full-blown psychotics?

That's the subtext of this thread. There's a lot of sympathy for Martin, but willful avoidance of the other guys with serious issues. At the end of the day, it's a blood sport.

But cordy is a guard... So...

Stop it. Martin could have just as easily been a Bill if Glenn was off the board when the Bills picked. I hope the kid is ok. We all cope with stress differently and it can be very debilitating to be depressed.

I attribute my depression and anxiety to being a lifelong Bills fan. :P

But seriously...I applaud your openess. Life's a rollercoaster. I battle my demons and understand first hand the plight of depression/anxiety issues.

I wish him well.

Hey thanks for that Cap. I some times get a "why do I care about my life" attitude and think maybe I'm depressed. But I never endured the symptoms you described. You are very much to be admired for making the symptoms of true depression as you experienced available to all of us.I Know it made me fell better. Guess I just get the ordinary "blues" from time to time. Edited by Jim in Anchorage