The Quarterback situation

There are comments all over this board right now on the current QB situation of the Bills. I thought that it would be wise to have a place to talk about this group.

IMO, the jury is out on EJ he may end up being the guy. I have seen positives and negatives and we will see over the second half of the season. In terms of everyone else we need to remember that we were really playing our 3rd and 4th options (if you factor in Kolb). Taking all that into account I liked what I saw from Thad and Tuel was not horrible. Neither is great but neither was the worst guy to ever take a snap. Each of them may have a future as a back up.

What EJ does the 2nd half of the year will be crucial to our future. This team is missing a TE, a WR, an OG and maybe an OLB but there are not tons of holes. They have every bit the talent that KC has.

I wanted to see what people think. If EJ improves, stays the same or regresses what should be done? IMO, he will get another year but this team does not have many other holes to fill. I would probably stand pat and keep Thad as the back up, part ways with Kolb and keep Tuel as my third. I may draft a late round project to compete with Tuel. What would you guys do?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

...we need to remember that we were really playing our 3rd and 4th options (if you factor in Kolb). Taking all that into account I liked what I saw from Thad and Tuel was not horrible.

When the opposing team defensive coordinators don't know which QB they're going to face from the Bills it makes game planning against Buffalo difficult.

But only for about the first half. After that the Bills LOSE the game!

We should still draft a QB, like my Boy Pachall, who is as big and talent as EJ but better accuracy. With his rehab and broken arm we could get him easy mid rounds. He would be the top QB (except maybe Manziel) if not for his time off. EJ could be good or not but Dallas had Aikmen and Walsh no reason why we shouldn't do the same.

EJ is this teams QB...People need to stop with the "Draft another QB". EJ has done plenty to believe he is worth building around. Im so tired of "this years draft class will be the best since 83" when you guys say this on the board EVERY SINGLE YEAR and then the draft comes and you same people say we better not take a QB because now next years draft class is the best ever. Its absurd.

EJ has shown enough that the team needs to invest time in him and develop him, not put him on the hot seat with another high draft pick at QB. We need to get the kid OL help and a TE...you don't build teams loading up at one position when you have holes else where and promising rookies at the same position.

This is EJs team this year and NEXT. If he doesn't continue to improve next year, then you look QB the following year. I will bet anyone that we will not take a QB in the first 2 rounds next year...name the amount.

We should still draft a QB, like my Boy Pachall, who is as big and talent as EJ but better accuracy. With his rehab and broken arm we could get him easy mid rounds. He would be the top QB (except maybe Manziel) if not for his time off. EJ could be good or not but Dallas had Aikmen and Walsh no reason why we shouldn't do the same.

A talented mid round QB would be OK. I mean, our backups are two UDFA's. Keep one on PS and probably Flynn then. Nothing wrong with a value mid rounder.

This team's weakest position is still QB (an O-lineman can be found without a high pick). I won't be happy until I KNOW they have a QB. If there is a nice prospect in the first 3 rounds, take the QB. They can always trade him later (or EJM) if they have a "log jam at QB" :lol: .

They need to draft another RB too, cuz FJ can't do it forever (2nd or 3rd round).

EJ has shown enough that the team needs to invest time in him and develop him, not put him on the hot seat with another high draft pick at QB. We need to get the kid OL help and a TE...you don't build teams loading up at one position when you have holes else where and promising rookies at the same position.

Serious question...why do we worry so much about a QB's psyche? Do we ever think "no, can't draft a RB, we got a good one." Why can you have only one good young qb on a roster?

Primary backup = 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft. Or EJ, if that guy is better.

I'm with you. I've said it elsewhere, but I'm afraid we'll have a top QB prospect available when we pick, and we'll pass on him b/c we went all in on EJ, & then we find out EJ is more Jason Campbell than Juice Newton and we're back at square 1.

To this point EJ hasn't shown me that he is hands down the future at the position for the team, if there is another QB at our pick next year in the draft like a Boyd, or McCarron we need to grab them .

TJ Graham has shown nothing but you can't count on him in the clutch C ya !!

Tuel didn't do terrible fro his very first game although his arm strength lacks some, his decision on the goal line was absolutely a rookie mistake !!

Thad isn't terrible either but what needs to happen is the coach getting in peoples S**T when they screw up way to many mistakes ...

The Chiefs didn't win this game we gave it to them !!

Serious question...why do we worry so much about a QB's psyche? Do we ever think "no, can't draft a RB, we got a good one." Why can you have only one good young qb on a roster?

Because it's a much harder position to master - and beyond psyche you are stealing both practice reps and a first round talent that could be helping that qb succeed from him.

To this point EJ hasn't shown me that he is hands down the future at the position for the team,

I'm curious which QBs, in the history of the NFL, proved that they were hands down the future at the position for their team after 4.5 games?

If the Bills want to pick up a QB in the mid rounds next year I'm all for it but they most certainly shouldn't blow a high round pick on one until EJ has a chance to improve and get a feel for the pro game. What's the point of drafting EJ if you're not going to give him the playing time to develop?

The front office knew the QBs that were coming out this year and still pulled the trigger on EJ. If they have any confidence in their own abilities as talent evaporators (and I'm sure they do) they won't be selecting a QB early next year.

More than anything I want to see a veteran brought in to shore up the backup spot and be someone EJ can rely on in the film room and the sideline.

I think a lot of people on this board have unrealistic expectations for a rookie QB. If the guy is not like Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick (who was a 2nd year QB), then many folks think we should draft another one. I've liked what I have seen from E.J. and hopefully he gets back and starts the last 5 games of this season. His stats for his first 5 games are comparable to the first 5 games for Roethlisberger and Flacco. He has shown that he can be a capable QB in the league and has the skills to grow into a good (and possibly great) starter. If he doesn't get hurt, the Bills' record is likely 2 - 3 wins better at this point. You don't give up on a QB who has played as well as he has after one year.

Edited by need therapy

Big to remember that just because the season is about over with regards to playoffs, there's a lot of time left and a lot we can learn. We aren't likely playing in January but this is a good team that you can likely accomplish a lot of evaluating talent with.

I'm with you. I've said it elsewhere, but I'm afraid we'll have a top QB prospect available when we pick, and we'll pass on him b/c we went all in on EJ, & then we find out EJ is more Jason Campbell than Juice Newton and we're back at square 1.

Juice Newton? Is EJ our Angel of the Morning?

We don't. Not sure if NFL teams do, but it's more in the NFL culture. You go all in on a guy, and once he's failed you absolutely cannot go back to him. That gets expensive and time consuming. You have to develop one guy, but it sucks EJ is hurt. Anyway, what we fans think isn't going to change NFL culture. The Bills will not take a QB with a high pick in 2014. maybe the middle rounds as neither backup has distinguished himself much.