Realistic expectations for Tuel on Sunday?

KikO M G

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire team hopefully steps up.

The Oline answers the call and opens lanes and gives the kid enough time to go 15-25 175 1 t.d. 1 int's.

IF the line plays good and Hackett calls up some good plays and does not become predictable, Tuel has a chance. This is one where if the Bills are going to win they will have to decieve the Chiefs.

I would run 2 TE sets alot. And not naming the starter this week is going to have helped (whatever help we get from that any little bit has to help). If it stays close to the end though...... Let's just hope that we can open a decent lead and try to keep it.

GO BILLS!

I would run 2 TE sets alot. And not naming the starter this week is going to have helped (whatever help we get from that any little bit has to help). If it stays close to the end though...... Let's just hope that we can open a decent lead and try to keep it.

GO BILLS!

Yeah, the more chances to get Lee Smith on the field the better. JK, if they are going to have any chance with Tuel they are going to have to play great defense and make a few big plays. A bomb, pick six, big kick return, etc... They are not going to be able to sustain drives with ball control. That just requires them to make too many plays. I don't see Tuel going on stretches where he completes 6 or 7 straight 10 yarders.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You must not watch a lot of football... he did not have a successful 3 quarters that night for sure, but it barely cracks the top 25 of worst QB performances I have seen in the last 2-3 years and that is just the NFL.

Just to put things in perspective. There are 32 starting quarterbacks each weak(baring a bye week). At 16 weeks per team that is 512 QB performances per year. 3 years worth of those in the NFL is 1536 QB performance put up between all teams over the course of the regular season.

To be within the worst 25 of those is historically terrible. That means 98.4% of all quarterback play is better than Jeff Tuel. That's your solace in the whole situation. Being better than 1.6 percent of all quarterbacks....

It's not the absolute worse.

Jesus. I've been screaming for the screen pass at the top of my lungs for about three weeks.

If that kid drops three good screens on target on Sunday, you people will be barking his name like poodles in heat.

For Tuel, a screen pass will be a pick six waiting to happen. He is better throwing slants or post routes.

On game rewind I just watched every throw Tuel made in the Cleveland game. Yes, he was bad. He was rushed and off target a lot. But he made a number of accurate throws, in particular one long one to Woods that was broken up by the coverage. He threw a screen to Freddie that took the Cleveland rush (which was all out) by surprise and gained a dozen yards or so. He also seemed to be mobile in the pocket and aware of the rush.

This doesn't tell me he's going to have a great game, but with a week of preparation with the first string, and some adjustment of the game plan (screen passes, please) to counter a stacked box and heavy rush, I think he can play well enough for the Bills to win.

I also think that Marone and Hackett want to win this game (duh) and therefore would not play him if they he did not present the best chance for them to do so. I expect he will play much better than he did being thrown into the Cleveland game with no prep.

I find it very hard to believe that Tuel puts the team in a better chance to win than Flynn. Flynn will at least be decent. He's proven that. Tuel might be dreadful. The team probably has a 25% chance of making the playoffs if they win this game and a 1% chance (if that) if they lose. You can't leave it up to Tuel in this spot, IMO.

I have very few reasons for saying this, but I think Tuel will be at least okay Sunday (if he's the starter). I don't much hold the Cleveland game against him mainly because I don't think he should have even been in the backup slot to begin with. You need an experienced guy in that spot, a "game manager" type, not an inexperienced rookie taking his first NFL snaps.

So the few reasons for thinking Tuel will be okay Sunday come down to this: he showed some real promise in the pre-season; I have confidence in Marrone and Hackett as evaluators and they like him a lot; he's had a week with the first team; the mess in Cleveland likely snapped him into greater focus, maybe cranking up his competitive juices; he should have SJ and FJ on the field and in decent health, and he's capable of getting the ball to Woods, who's been MIA with Lewis.

I don't know if this adds up to a win for the Bills but I don't think it will be a disaster at all with Tuel under center.

My expectations for Tuel:

1. The same level of field general skills as Peyton Manning. Being able to audible at the line and make the perfect adjustments to beat the defense.

2. The arm strength and accuracy of Tom Brady

3. The touch of Drew Brees on his throws

4. The scrambling ability of Micheal Vick

you forgot:

5. Coolness under pressure like Joe Montana

6. The quick release of Dan Marino

7. The ability to extend the play of Ben Roethlisburger

8. The fearlessness of Brett Farve

9. The toughness of Jim Kelly

This is actually humorous. I remember in pre-season seeing threads " Tuel should start" and "Trade EJ". Tuel had a great pre-season and played crappy on short notice for a quarter .5. I don't think they are doomed if Tuel starts. I live in KC and really this is the same team sans Alex Smith that the bills have beat the crap out of the last 2 years. Not saying the Bills are going to win but KC hasn't played many tough road games and most of the games they have played have been close. Think about the role Mike Pettine might have in helping any QB on the team understand KC's defense considering it's similar to the Bills. Probably not as much reason for doom and gloom as one would think.

This is actually humorous. I remember in pre-season seeing threads " Tuel should start" and "Trade EJ". Tuel had a great pre-season and played crappy on short notice for a quarter .5. I don't think they are doomed if Tuel starts. I live in KC and really this is the same team sans Alex Smith that the bills have beat the crap out of the last 2 years. Not saying the Bills are going to win but KC hasn't played many tough road games and most of the games they have played have been close. Think about the role Mike Pettine might have in helping any QB on the team understand KC's defense considering it's similar to the Bills. Probably not as much reason for doom and gloom as one would think.

Tuel had a decent day against the Colts playing 3rd/4th stringers and guys who aren't in the league at present. He did absolutely nothing the rest of the pre-season and looked very poor doing it.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice work JR. Tuel was about as expected. Inaccurate, no arm strength 1 play and a couple of hug mistakes but pretty smart. He was a 3rd string QB

I was surprised by the lack of arm strength. I don't remember him throwing those floaters in the preseason.

Overall, he did what we thought we would do. The problem was the pick on the 1 had more of an impact on the game.