The Bills Have Hired a Director of Analytics

I was in Cleveland for the Bills-Browns game as a guest of a friend who works in the analytics department there. I toured the front office and spoke with a few people about their team and their backgrounds. I can't divulge names, but several of them had come from either Bain or McKinsey; a new hire, not in the office yet, was a colleague of one of them at Bain. Front offices recruit heavily from the "Big Three" consulting firms. Sector-agnostic consultants are a huge asset and recruiting target to sports front offices. I'm not knocking the hire- I think Lyons will be ok- but I don't believe Brandon's claim that Lyons was their best candidate out of 1,000 applicants. Brandon looks to people from his network first for hires.

Edit: This is one of the best threads I've read on TBD. While some of us may disagree, I appreciate the civil discourse and informed opinions from many posters here.

You worried me when you first popped in declaring bad hire, but I appreciate some of the insights you've backed it up with. I don't know if its dumb luck, or our usual trolls all being one person who is busy this week, or people are still just well fed and slightly buzzed from visiting New Orleans - but a lot of threads have been both pleasant and informative with a variety of opinions this week.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You worried me when you first popped in declaring bad hire, but I appreciate some of the insights you've backed it up with. I don't know if its dumb luck, or our usual trolls all being one person who is busy this week, or people are still just well fed and slightly buzzed from visiting New Orleans - but a lot of threads have been both pleasant and informative with a variety of opinions this week.

It is still a reach to call this guy a bad hire just because he worried at Xerox and not McKinsey. You don't know anything else about his work or his background.

It is still a reach to call this guy a bad hire just because he worried at Xerox and not McKinsey. You don't know anything else about his work or his background.

I agree (and I think ny33 has come around to being a bit quick to the trigger) but atleast the guy had an idea what he was using as a jumping off point as opposed to those upset about using computers or that Xerox was for copiers. He's actually contributed to furthering the discussion of our guys background vs another front office he was familiar with. Far better than random grenade lobbing, and cordial even if you disagree with his analysis.

I don't think he's a *bad* hire. To reiterate, I simply don't believe Brandon's claim that he looked at 1,000 hires and determined that Lyons was the best available candidate.

This may or not be insignificant, but I cannot find a single snippet of information outside of the articles on the hire on Lyons. There is nothing on his background in any previous news articles; you would expect that someone employed at the same company for twenty five years would have some articles on his work for the firm.

I'm not hung on up the fact that he didn't work at a top consulting firm, but am concerned by the fact that he has been marketed by Brandon as "an East Aurora native." We have been told very little about his actual work for Xerox, which concerns me.

I don't think he's a *bad* hire. To reiterate, I simply don't believe Brandon's claim that he looked at 1,000 hires and determined that Lyons was the best available candidate.

This may or not be insignificant, but I cannot find a single snippet of information outside of the articles on the hire on Lyons. There is nothing on his background in any previous news articles; you would expect that someone employed at the same company for twenty five years would have some articles on his work for the firm.

I'm not hung on up the fact that he didn't work at a top consulting firm, but am concerned by the fact that he has been marketed by Brandon as "an East Aurora native." We have been told very little about his actual work for Xerox, which concerns me.

Yup - could be a variety of things. I hope geography wasn't really considered and is simply a perk on the marketing side that they decided to run with. "Local guy made good" sells better than "increased efficiency 6% in manufacturing in 1992 and "increased sales by targeting regionalized companies in the financial sector." In the long run hopefully the decision was "more wins" sells better than "good pr story" or "that guy I liked from an overlapping social circle"

I'll agree it seems coincidental that after all those applications we found a guy from our own neighborhood but we will see.

Ok. Time will tell if this guy is a good hire. Bottom line for me is that if this team has not found an elite QB in EJ they could set up Cray computers to crunch all the data they want and the Bills will not win. This is a QB led league and if you do not have a good one little else will get you "there."

I'll agree it seems coincidental that after all those applications we found a guy from our own neighborhood but we will see.

I don't think it was entirely coincidental. The fact that he is a local and probably a big bills fan was probably a factor in the hire. And it should be a factor; if it were me hiring, someone who is already passionate and excited about the team would probably be a good separating difference.

ive seen him mentioned before and was always surprised he didnt get more media attention. i couldnt even tell you his name, but recall reading a passing article on their analytics department a few years ago and the guy that was, in theory, really changing the way teams were looking at the game.

I forgot the guy in the pats* organization that is their rainman numbers guy that no one really knows what he does but he's always with the hoodie. I think he was their rainman numbers guy/signal stealer during their spygate era

I believe the name you're looking for is... Ernie Adams.

Linky thing

I don't disagree about advertising the "East Aurora native" bit. Still, he's probably ten times smarter than Buddy Nix (in the book-learnin' sense), so I'm willing to give him a chance before passing judgment.

Ok. Time will tell if this guy is a good hire. Bottom line for me is that if this team has not found an elite QB in EJ they could set up Cray computers to crunch all the data they want and the Bills will not win. This is a QB led league and if you do not have a good one little else will get you "there."

My take from this whole thing is that this franchise wants to think up new ways to save / make money!

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I thought it would be wiser to hire an actual known talented football mind, and still think so. Again thinking of a proper consultant brings to mind the man who tutored QB Peyton Manning, in Tom Moore. Since leaving the Colts as OC in 2009, senior offensive assistant in 2010 to consultant for the Jets 2011, Titans 2012, and now assistant HC / offensive consultant for Arizona.

I didn't say hire him pre se, just someone qualified to teach all these new / young QB's on the roster. I mention this because of the recent apparent lack of ability for both EJ & Thad Lewis to handle heavy blitz situations in setting protections, calling hot reads and making the proper progressive reads.

Read the entire thread and have only one thought. I'll believe it when I see it. When we go for it on 4th and 3 at our own 46 in the second qtr leading by 4... I'll believe analytics are a factor.

I think if thats how you define the impact of analytics then you may be waiting for quite a while for "proof".

That's a shame. I'd like to hire whoever has been spiking Ron Rivera's drinks the last few weeks.

I don't disagree about advertising the "East Aurora native" bit. Still, he's probably ten times smarter than Buddy Nix (in the book-learnin' sense), so I'm willing to give him a chance before passing judgment.

My GUESS id that the key factoid here is not that he is a local, but that based on what OBD folks are saying he will work primarily for Overdorfer whose primary role seems to be negotiating contracts with players. My sense would be that the football analytics collected and used by the Bills will be data that helps them argue tp [ay an FA like a Byrd less money rather be used in game decision-making. If Merrone had been the push behind his hiring or he had a job like asst coach for quality control I would expect more of a game impact. However, the fact he is a Brandon hire and answers to Overdorfer means to me his analytic powers will used to help them in a Levitre or that situation where Parker won a huge contract in Philly for his LT client rather than game situations.

From this morning's article in the News -- Lyons is a long-time Bills ST holder and "has been analyzing football as a hobby for years."

I think it's great that a smart, experienced analytics expert who is also a Bills fan is the guy pegged for the job -- supposedly out of about 1000 applicants.

My concerns are the fact that a) Brandon is emphasizing the fact that Lyons is a WNY native; the above article mentions how he'll work with a former Syracuse "administrative football assistant," Stephen Brown, who joined the team with Marrone.

I'll get flamed for this, but Brandon is clearly engaging in significant cronyism.

How exactly did Brandon emphasize Lyons' WNY roots, other than mentioning it in response to a question?

How is this hire engaging in cronyism? Brandon stated that he first met Lyons when he interviewed for the position.

Your posts sound like sour grapes. Did you submit a resume?

From this morning's article in the News -- Lyons is a long-time Bills ST holder and "has been analyzing football as a hobby for years."

I think it's great that a smart, experienced analytics expert who is also a Bills fan is the guy pegged for the job -- supposedly out of about 1000 applicants.

Exactly. All thing equal, I would go with the guy who is knowledgeable and passionate about the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he came into the interview and wowed everyone with a lot of bills-specific stuff.