Is Tom Brady in decline?

The team is still 6-2 and missing two of their best three defensive players. Their remaining 8 games are as follows:

Steelers at home (probable win)

Carolina on the road (toss up)

Broncos at home (probable loss)

Texans on the road (probable win)

Browns at home (probable win)

Dolphins on the road (probable win)

Ravens on the road (toss up)

Bills at home (probable win)

They're going to wind up 11-5 or 12-4 and probably win the division with relative ease.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed

thanks

The team is still 6-2 and missing two of their best three defensive players. Their remaining 8 games are as follows:

The green are what I expect are wins. The red, losses. The blue - I imagine they will lose 1 of the 3. Carolina is getting better by the week and they have a good front 7 D. 11-5 Patriots record.

Kraft and Belicheat should be embarassed at the surrounding cast they've given brady.

I hate the guy and i feel sorry for him. Rookie WR Kenbrel thompkins will be out of football within two years he is SO awful.

Too bad donald jones wasnt healthy. That catch n run offense they run was tailor made for his style of play.

They're going to wind up 11-5 or 12-4 and probably win the division with relative ease.

That's all true - is anyone arguing that? Benefitting from a nice schedule and no good QBs in their division isn't the most ringing endorsement. They haven't had those injuries on D all year - if they did they'd probably be 4-4.

They'll likely be a slight favorite or underdog vs Indy or Cincy in round 2 depending on homefield, then a big dog @Denver. I know, tough life, we'd love that for the Bills. Still its a big step back from their usual spot as a massive 2nd RD favorite.

Edited by BuffOrange

Kraft and Belicheat should be embarassed at the surrounding cast they've given brady.

I hate the guy and i feel sorry for him. Rookie WR Kenbrel thompkins will be out of football within two years he is SO awful.

Too bad donald jones wasnt healthy. That catch n run offense they run was tailor made for his style of play.

Fully agree. I am still shocked they gave him this staff of receivers. Even Amandola, if the Bills signed an oft injured receiver the media would be tearing them apart. Having this cast of characters to throw to will hurt them in January

MY THOUGGHTS:

Carolina on the road (loss)

Broncos at home ( loss)

Texans on the road (loss--because its at Houston)

Browns at home (likely win--but it will be close 4th quater 3/4 pt lead by Pats)

Dolphins on the road (loss--at miami--Buffalo needs them to lose here)

Ravens on the road (loss--because its at Baltimore and they play alot better at home and at this time they likely have somethin to play for)

I have New england 9-6 entering this game if they win one of those games they are 10-5

Bills at home

I see Buffalo enter at 9-6 and thus winner gets the division. If they lose to Miami and Buffalo beats Miami then buffalo would have second tie breaker of division record

New England has not impressed---they have survived.

Doubting Tom Brady brings with it the risk of looking foolish, but my guess is by the end of next season he will be done as a force at the all important position and the Pats are probably concerned about it. He may want to play until he's 40, and maybe he can but in terms of being elite HOF QBs seem to pretty much hit the wall at his age, Marino, Kelly, Montana, Aikman - why should Brady be any different?

Sure he has not had the supporting cast this year what with all the changes and injuries but his accuracy this year is a lot less consistent than it has been in the past - everyone understands that his O-line has not been as good and that his rookie receivers have made rookie mistakes in route running but Tom has also badly missed wide open receivers and made uncharacteristicly poor decisions. The slow decline has been setting in almost imperceptibly the last couple of years (despite what the stats say) but it is in sharper focus this year.

Pats still know how to win that's for sure but take away that last second win over the Saints and they were on a three game losing streak and if the Fins had a sack it would be four. Still a good but hardly a dominant team. 11-5 but 1and done post season. Next year the Division is up for grabs IMO.

Oh and someone mentioned that Thompkins was no good. Looks plenty good to me. I think the Pats won the UDFA receiver prize instead of us.

Doubting Tom Brady brings with it the risk of looking foolish, but my guess is by the end of next season he will be done as a force at the all important position and the Pats are probably concerned about it. He may want to play until he's 40, and maybe he can but in terms of being elite HOF QBs seem to pretty much hit the wall at his age, Marino, Kelly, Montana, Aikman - why should Brady be any different?

Sure he has not had the supporting cast this year what with all the changes and injuries but his accuracy this year is a lot less consistent than it has been in the past - everyone understands that his O-line has not been as good and that his rookie receivers have made rookie mistakes in route running but Tom has also badly missed wide open receivers and made uncharacteristicly poor decisions. The slow decline has been setting in almost imperceptibly the last couple of years (despite what the stats say) but it is in sharper focus this year.

Pats still know how to win that's for sure but take away that last second win over the Saints and they were on a three game losing streak and if the Fins had a sack it would be four. Still a good but hardly a dominant team. 11-5 but 1and done post season. Next year the Division is up for grabs IMO.

Oh and someone mentioned that Thompkins was no good. Looks plenty good to me. I think the Pats won the UDFA receiver prize instead of us.

Who do you think Brady is? Roger Clemens?!? :lol:

i don't think the drop-off has been that great, its been more about communication with his receivers. next year will be another story, expect improvement. that said, he's probably got 3-4 decent years left, then the decline will be much more evident

Yeah, sure he has had plenty of drops, miscommunications, etc with his young receivers but he's also had plenty of very poorly thrown passes as well...

I heard it described perfectly on the radio the other day...as they cross over that age line, they can still make plays but the number of great plays goes down, good plays go down and the average to below average plays go up...

Time catches up to us all...many times its a sudden, dramatic drop and not a slow decline..those throws they used to make into tight windows for big plays now either get picked off or knocked down cause their reaction time and arm strength can't get the ball there in the split second faster it used to that resulted in completions...so either they recognize their new limitations and adjust, altering their ability to be great or they continue thinking they can still pull it off and hastening their departure as an NFL QB

Edited by matter2003

I think Webster Guy meant Aaron Dobson, their 2nd round pick. As for Thompkins, he's on pace for 46 receptions for 668 yards and 8 TD's, which is good for an UDFA. But even there, they thought so little of him, they gave him just a $5K signing bonus, which is low.

I’ve got to imagine his swollen throwing hand has something to do with the accuracy issues. His o-line isn’t what it used to be either. He’s getting hit a lot more than he ever used to. The way to throw Brady off his game was always with pressure and now that pressure is getting to him with more regularity and less blitzing. I think these have more to do with it than his lack of supporting cast…although I believe that also plays a part.

Is he in decline? Probably yes but he’s still pretty darn good for a QB pretending to be a supermodel.

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

i don't think the drop-off has been that great, its been more about communication with his receivers. next year will be another story, expect improvement. that said, he's probably got 3-4 decent years left, then the decline will be much more evident

I think the dropoff has been noticeable this season. I believe he had only 26 yards passing in the first half last week, 113 total I believe. Far cry from a few years ago when he was setting all kinds of records with Moss & Company.

I think Webster Guy meant Aaron Dobson, their 2nd round pick. As for Thompkins, he's on pace for 46 receptions for 668 yards and 8 TD's, which is good for an UDFA. But even there, they thought so little of him, they gave him just a $5K signing bonus, which is low.

its good because they are normally not forced on the field so extensively. i dont think hes running better routes or making better catches than most - simply taking far more snaps.

im curious to see if they go "all in" next year and sign some big contracts that might bankrupt the post-brady era in order to take one last shot, or if they continue to try to build long term..