Is Tom Brady in decline?

How much of this is lack of support from receivers? I hope he's in decline, but really i think he'sm just missing Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch & Lloyd. Edelman has been his best receiver and I wouldn't consider him anything special.

More than a few here said that Brady would still put up Madden-like numbers despite a lack of proven WR's. He's on-pace for his worst-ever season as a pro. And Branch, Lloyd, Hernandez, and Welker aren't coming back.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. End of the season the Bills beat him.

He's winning the division

He's going to the playoffs

And he's doing it with perhaps the worst 52 man cast around him in quite some time

Even if we win a game, there's some saying about battles vs wars and it looks like he's about to coast into winning the AFCE again, even if we split the head to head.

I don't think you can bury him quite yet.

He definitely is in decline. The lack of weapons thing is severely overblown. Of course he had a lot more last yr. But how many QBs have 2 stud TEs and a historically great slot wr? The guy we played last week was elite long before Graham showed up and he has had a glorified TE in Colston as his #1wr for 7yrs. Rodgers right now has Nelson and a bunch of guys. And NEs OL is vastly superior to those teams.

It's only natural for a player's abilities to decline. I said last off-season that at best he had 1, maybe 2, more good years. I guess I was giving him too much credit.

That doesn't really hold true for a lot of the elite QBs. I don't think Brady's game would truly decline due to age until he's 40 or even older.

As others have said, he is surrounded by garbage or injured players. Seems pretty obvious why he's been off so far this year.

Look, I don't think that anyone is saying Brady is bad. There's a reason his team is still the division leader, and it's because he's the strongest QB in the division.

That said, I don't think that you can ignore that this is not the Brady we're used to seeing. Yes, he's lost a few people. But that didn't used to matter. It didn't matter when the Pats run game sucked, Brady was just that good.

He's still good, and still a top 10 QB (at least), but injuries rack up. Remember Favre left Green Bay at 38 and people were talking about how he should retire with grace. He still played three more seasons, but he clearly wasn't the same man for the Jets and Vikings than he was for Green Bay. I doubt Brady plans to retire, but I think that within a few years he will, right around the time Tannehill, EJ and Geno will have a few years of seasoning.

Age catches up with EVERYONE sooner or later - (unless you are Barry Sanders or Jim Brown and retire early).

Remember Jerry Rice's last year in Seattle? Not many people do. He played 11 games and had less than 400 yards. Remember LaDainian Tomlinson's last few years in the league, splitting time with Shonne Greene?

Talking to "experts" back in August, they would have expected the Patriots/Tom Brady to have absolutely no drop-off. This was the same guy that won Super Bowls with Troy Brown, Deion Branch and David Patten. Before this season, people said Brady could succeed with anyone catching passes. Now they want to blame his supporting cast for his struggles.

I've watched enough Patriots football this season to know it's definitely not just the receivers. People don't want to admit it, but Brady's accuracy is way off. Sure they are still scraping out wins. And thanks to another year of no competition in the AFC East, they will certainly win the division. But I still think the end is in sight.

He's winning the division

He's going to the playoffs

And he's doing it with perhaps the worst 52 man cast around him in quite some time

Even if we win a game, there's some saying about battles vs wars and it looks like he's about to coast into winning the AFCE again, even if we split the head to head.

I don't think you can bury him quite yet.

Can you say that they're winning games because of him?

Can you say that they're winning games because of him?

Frankly, I think you are selling short what hes done on the field and focusing on the stat line too heavily. While it isnt his best year, he isnt making terrible mistakes, receivers are dropping some great passes, and they are winning and no position in sports contributes more to that than qb.

are you arguing the rest of the roster is covering for him?

Tom Brady on the decline? He is literally the only reason that team is winning games. If the decline means the best player on your team, that is currently winning its division, and also Top 3 players in the league, at your position, where all of you are going to the HoF, then yes, Tom Brady is on the decline.

Tom Brady is feeling the pressure: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/26/tom-brady-is-feeling-the-pressure/

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is struggling with the blitz this season.

Brady is usually among the best in football at getting the ball away quickly and accurately when opposing teams blitz him, but as former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski demonstrated this week on ESPN’s NFL Matchup, that hasn’t been the case this season. Jaworski showed game film of a badly underthrown pass by Brady against the Bengals and showed how Brady could have hit either Julian Edelman or Aaron Dobson but instead completely missed as he felt the Bengals’ pass rush.

He definitely is in decline. The lack of weapons thing is severely overblown. Of course he had a lot more last yr. But how many QBs have 2 stud TEs and a historically great slot wr? The guy we played last week was elite long before Graham showed up and he has had a glorified TE in Colston as his #1wr for 7yrs. Rodgers right now has Nelson and a bunch of guys. And NEs OL is vastly superior to those teams.

I just had a similar discussing with my aunt this past week, who is from NO. I am under the opinion that with the abismal season last year from the Saints, Peyton and Brees should not both be considered HoF. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning win more than 7 games last year with that Saints team. I know that those guys are considered the best in the business, but we are talking Hall of Fame. Manning makes every coach he has had look like an elite coach, when the fact of the matter is each one was extremely mediocre pre-Manning.

If Brees is elite, NO wins more games. Period. Brees can be remembered as a very very very good QB, but he seems to be a function (to a certain extent) of Peyton at this point. So I don't buy into the look at Brees as an example for Tom Brady nonsense