Official Pre-game Thread: Week 8, Bills vs Saints

Dan

Week 8: Buffalo Bills at New Orleans Saints

Sunday, October 27, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf

DirecTV: 709

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 134

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The New Orleans Saints have had plenty of time to move on from their first loss of the season, which came in heartbreaking fashion.

Coming off their bye week, the Saints' focus shifts to trying to prevent the Buffalo Bills from moving back to .500 on Sunday at the Superdome.

Buffalo (3-4) avoided a third straight loss with a 23-21 victory at Miami last Sunday. Fred Jackson shook off a knee injury to total 85 yards with a rushing TD while ex-Dolphin Dan Carpenter kicked a pair of fourth-quarter field goals, including the 31-yard winner with 33 seconds left, to rally Buffalo from a four-point deficit.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 8 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

Jill of the Week: Emily

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats:   Bills         Saints

Total Yds/Game.... 333.3        397.7

Total Rush.............140.4          86.7

Total Pass.............192.9         311.0

Points/Game.......... 22.7           26.8

Time of Poss.......... 27.7           33.5

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 380.4         338.0

Rush Yards........... 123.6         114.0

Pass Yards........... 256.9         224.0

Points Allowed........ 25.4           17.2

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Jackson, Fred        RB               Knee             DNP     LP       LP         Probable

Lawson, Manny      LB               Hamstring     DNP     DNP   DNP       Doubtful

Manuel, EJ             QB               Knee             DNP    DNP    DNP      Out

Spiller, C.J.             RB              Ankle             DNP     DNP   DNP       Doubtful

Williams, Kyle         DL               Achilles         DNP     FP       FP         Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New Orleans Saints

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Graham, Jimmy      TE               Foot             DNP     DNP     LP        Questionable

Greer, Jabari          CB      Not Injury Related DNP       -          -                    -

Harper, Roman       S                 Knee            DNP     DNP    DNP      Out

Ingram, Mark          RB               Toe              DNP     DNP     LP        Questionable

Jenkins, Malcolm    S                 Back             FP        FP       FP         Probable

Jordan, Cameron    DE               Ankle           DNP     LP        LP        Questionable

Moore, Lance          WR             Hand            FP        FP        FP        Probable

Strief, Zach              T                 Ankle           DNP     LP        LP         Questionable

Sweeting, Rod         CB              Hip               FP        DNP    DNP      Out

Walker, Tyrunn        DE              Knee            DNP     DNP    DNP      Out

Source: NewOrleansSaints.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Saints -11

Over/Under: 49.0

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Why does it always seem the Bills are facing a well-rested team coming off their bye week?  I guess if they hadn't just beaten the Dolphins, we could complain more. But, this week, we face one of the better teams in the league with Drew Brees looking as good as ever.

It's difficult thinking the Bills can pull this game out.  Yes, they've scored over 20 points in every game for an average of 23 points per game. However, the Saints are averaging nearly 27 points per game.  And the Bills defense is allowing nearly 25 points per game. So, it's hard to see the Saints not getting their points.  

For that reason, the key to this game is for Thad and the Bills offense to score enough to keep pace with Brees and the Saints passing attack.  The best shot is going to be establishing the run game and keeping Brees off the field.  The Bills have one of the best rushing games in the league and even if they get behind early, they need to stick with it.  Defensively, it would be really nice for Super Mario to continue his dominating play from last week.  Pressure on Brees could be the additional push we need to keep our offense on the field.

I'll be watching:

1. CJ Spiller and the run game.  Will he play? If so, can he be effective with limited reps and a hurt ankle?  Can Freddie continue being the heart and soul or will his knee be too much this time? And finally, Choice should get increased reps this game. Let's hope he responds.

2. Thad the Impaler.  He needs to continue improving and be more accurate to the receivers.  He can also do some damage in this game with his feet.  Hopefully, he has the room and takes advantage of a defense that can give up some runs.

3. Super Mario and the defensive line.  With a truly great QB that can pick apart any secondary, it's imperative we get pressure on Brees with the defensive line.  Certainly, the Saints have seen the tape on Mario from last week and will have a plan to contain him. If they do, can the other guys pick up the slack?

4. Can we stop the run!  Once again, we're facing a team that's not great at running the ball.  Last week they let the Dolphins run for entirely too many yards.  If Sproles and Thomas get going, we could be in serious trouble.

5. Coaching.  Marrone and company have a full task this week. Matching game plans against the Saints will be a huge challenge.  Will they be up to the task? This is not the week to give Brees an extra last minute drive before the half.  Can they get the team fired up to play while minimizing the costly personal foul penalties?  It's going to be a bell weather game for our coaching staff and this young team, I hope they're up for the challenge.

Go Bills!!

On paper, we don't stand a chance. We're a double-digit underdog on the road against a team on a mission with a great -and likely- HOF QB coming off their Bye week. We're starting our 4th string QB with a crippled running game and a porous defense.

On paper.

But we've bore witness to a turnaround in chemistry and an upgrade in talent that has seen us be in every game so far, despite being decided underdogs. These guys believe in themselves and have found a way to bring the games to a final possession. Is this the game that knocks 'em back to the Same Ole Bills or does that legacy die today? I know many Bills fans who will be there -who wouldn't want to be in The Big Easy at Halloween?- and the team will hear them!

It's tough to predict a win, but I expect us to continue to believe in themselves and show we're a competitive team. Paper be damned.

Thanks for the info and analysis. I would disagree that the key for the Bills is Thad though. Thad needs to avoid turnovers for sure. But even on his best day he cannot compete with Drew Brees. My key would be Mario Williams and the pass rush. They do have an advantage here, especially with OT Zach Strief questionable with an ankle injury for NO. If they can hit Brees multiple times and force some turnovers, I can see a way the Bills can win. The Bills lead the NFL with 12 interceptions. If the Bills are going to be 4-4 by tonight, I bet they will also pad their number of interceptions to 14 or 15.

Edited by Right Manuel for the Job

Our only chance is to get TURNOVERS. We won't score enough to keep pace unless we get some points off turnovers or big plays on special teams. We wouldn't have won last week without Robey's pick 6 and Mario's strip-sack. We need more plays like that today or we simply won't score enough points. If we win expect it to be a nailbiter all the way to the end so it's going to be a stressful day!

Thanks for the info and analysis. I would disagree that the key for the Bills is Thad though. Thad needs to avoid turnovers for sure. But even on his best day he cannot compete with Drew Brees. My key would be Mario Williams and the pass rush. They do have an advantage here, especially with OT Zach Strief questionable with an ankle injury for NO. If they can hit Brees multiple times and force some turnovers, I can see a way the Bills can win. The Bills lead the NFL with 12 interceptions. If the Bills are going to be 4-4 by tonight, I bet they will also pad their number of interceptions to 14 or 15.

Yes. Mario won the game last week, forcing the early pick 6 and singlehandedly handing the team the final winning points. He is the difference maker today for the Bills . He is playing at an all world level right now.

The Key to the Bills "keeping it close" b/c I don't think there is any way we could win, is the defense. Don't let the Saints score on huge plays which we have been giving up to much lesser opponets. If they can keep the Offense in front of them and get a few sacks and hits on DBrees, then we might be able to hold them to around 30, in which we should hopefully score 20 or so and keep it close! I really hope we do b/c the bills get no love as it is and if we get blown out it will look "nationally" that a good team destroyed a crappy team...even tho we know the truth!

Jay Glazer ✔ @JayGlazer

Partially torn plantar fascia is extremely painful and makes it hard to run and cut. No way to predict until he runs this AM

8:14 AM - 27 Oct 2013

24 RETWEETS

Retweet

Favorite

Jimmy Graham that is

Well C.J. is out but so is Jimmy Graham. So that hurts both teams big time.

Drew Brees is one of my fav QB's to watch. But he does throw INT's at times. But if he gets hott, we in trouble.

Key to game, turnovers by Saints, stopping the Saints on the ground.

Really wanna see Special teams score either from McLovin or Goodwin. If we can get another pick 6 and a ST touchdown the game will be close.

But I don't see how the Bills can stop Brees . Hope I'm wrong.

I think us losing CJ for the game is less of a hit than Brees losing Graham. So, in that regard, we come out on top. And with luck, CJ is healthier for another big game next week. The secondary still has their work cut out for them with their big WRs and Brees, but Graham being out should make it just a bit easier.

MUST get pressure on Brees, especially right up gut. Hopefully they blitz kiko and use Robey on Sproles.. Too quick for a lb and Robey is perfect matchup for him.

Must get a TD on either ST or D AND 1 big play TD. Missing CJ will hurt us with later cuz Freddy doesnt break big ones and finish them. Hopefully we can get Goodwin or TJ "Featherstone" one that hits him in facemask and gets stuck on deep route and runs in endzone with ball stuck in facemask cuz his hands are bricks!

Thad needs turnover free game....

This is alot to ask but is necessary in order to upset Saints... Just a really bad matchup for us.. hopefully loss of Graham wil be huge cuz just having him on field whether healthy or not requires attention. Watson can easily be covered by LB or SS

I kept scrolling around trying to find this thread. Why'd you have to hide in plain sight by pinning it :angry: .

Anyway, Go Bills!!!!!

BTW, Graham is officially active and CJ is officially not active.

Edited by Rockinon

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills1m

#Bills O: WR Johnson LT Glenn LG Legursky C Wood RG Urbik RT Pears TE Chandler QB Lewis RB Jackson FB Summers WR Graham

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills2m

#Bills D: DE Branch DT KWilliams DT Dareus DE MWilliams LB Hughes LB Alonso LB Bradham DB McKelvin DB AWilliams DB Byrd DB Gilmore

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 25s

Terrific gesture. RT @gggaughan Saints PR has left a seat in the press box for Larry Felser. The Big Easy was Larry's favorite town on road

:beer:

Classy move.

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills1m

#Bills O: WR Johnson LT Glenn LG Legursky C Wood RG Urbik RT Pears TE Chandler QB Lewis RB Jackson FB Summers WR Graham

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills2m

#Bills D: DE Branch DT KWilliams DT Dareus DE MWilliams LB Hughes LB Alonso LB Bradham DB McKelvin DB AWilliams DB Byrd DB Gilmore

Hope Bradham came to play. really worried about not having Lawson pick up the slack for the LBs.

Jerry Hughes to start

Posted by Chris Brown on October 27, 2013 – 11:52 am

Bills LB Manny Lawson is inactive with a hamstring injury today. He’s going to be replaced in the lineup by another veteran linebacker.

Jerry Hughes will start in Lawson’s place. Look for Nigel Bradham to fill Lawson’s role as well in certain packages.

If the Bills win with a practice squad QB and with their 1st round RB inactive, on the road against one of the best NFC teams, then there is absolutely no waiting for the new era to dawn. It will have emphatically and enthusiastically arrived.