Official pre-game thread Bills vs Dolphins, Oct. 20, 2013

Dan

Week 7: Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins

Sunday, October 20, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Bill Macatee and Steve Tasker

DirecTV: 710

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan; Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 128

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Coming off a bye week following consecutive losses, the Dolphins hope they've fixed some of their issues as they look for their best six-game start in 10 years Sunday against the visiting Bills.

Miami got off to a 3-0 start before losing 38-17 at New Orleans on Sept. 30 and 26-23 to Baltimore on Oct. 6. A win in their AFC East opener will put the Dolphins at 4-2 for the first time since 2003.

The Bills are expected to have leading rusher C.J. Spiller and hope receiver Stevie Johnson is available, while quarterback Thad Lewis is set to make his second start despite the signing of Matt Flynn on Monday.

With rookie starter EJ Manuel out at least another four weeks because of a sprained right knee, Lewis looks to build on a solid debut after he connected on 19 of 32 attempts for 216 yards with two fourth-quarter touchdowns to lead the Bills' rally last week.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 7 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

Bills' Focus: Coach Marrone DolphinsPreview

NFL.com Video Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats:   Bills          Dolphins

Total Yds/Game.... 344.2        316.6

Total Rush.............148.8          69.6

Total Pass.............195.3         247.0

Points/Game.......... 22.7           22.8

Time of Poss.......... 27.3           27.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 395.0         393.0

Rush Yards........... 124.2         105.4

Pass Yards........... 270.8         287.6

Points Allowed........ 26.2           23.4

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME                POSITION         INJURY    WED. THU. FRI.   GAME STATUS

Brooks, Ron           DB           Foot                        LP      LP    FP       Probable

Johnson, Stevie     WR           Back                        LP      FP    FP     Probable

Lawson, Manny      LB           Hamstring                LP      LP    FP      Probable

Lewis, Thad           QB           Foot                        FP      FP    FP       Probable

Manuel, EJ           QB           Knee                       DNP   DNP    DNP     Out

Spiller, C.J.           RB           Ankle                       DNP     LP    FP      Probable

Williams, Mario      DL           Hip                           LP    LP    FP         Probable

Williams, Kyle        DL    Achilles/Illness               DNP    FP    DNP    Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Miami Dolphins

Name                Position         Injury             Practice Status                           Game Status

Dion Jordan          DE            Ankle           Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Jason Trusnik          LB            Rib            Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Mike Pouncey           C            Ankle         Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Koa Misi                LB            Shoulder      Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Brandon Fields       P            Back             Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Nate Garner           T              Knee           Full Participation in Practice            Probable

Dimitri Patterson   CB            Groin           Limited Participation in Practice    Questionable

Dannell Ellerbe      LB            Shoulder    Did Not Participate In Practice          Doubtful

Will Yeatman           T            Shoulder    Full Participation in Practice              Probable

Brandon Gibson    WR            Hip            Limited Participation in Practice     Questionable

Cameron Wake     DE            Knee          Full Participation in Practice             Probable

Chris Clemons           S          Knee          Full Participation in Practice             Probable

Practice Status

DNP = Did not participate in practice

LP = Limited Participation in Practice - Less than 100% of a player's normal repetitions

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions

Out = Player will not play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available

Game Status

Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Dolphins -8.5

Over/Under: 42.5

Source: Rant Sports

Up to date... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

By the numbers, this week's game looks to be pretty evenly matched. Both teams are averaging close to 23 points per game; however, the Dolphins are holding their oppenents to 3 fewer points than the Bills' defense.  And therein lies the key to this game, the Bills D has to find a way to hold a well-rested offense.  

The Dolphins don't have a great running attack. But, you can bet they've spent the last two weeks working on that and stressing it in their meetings.  And we all know the Bills have a way of making very average players look like Pro Bowlers.  So, I wouldn't take their run game lightly.  If the Bills can hold them in check, they have a good shot at getting to Tannenhill. 

Tanny has looked good, at times, but he's also looked like the young player that he is.  Hopefully the Bills line can get after him and cause some of these mistakes.  If they do that, hold the Dolphins run game to their season average while forcing a few turnovers in the passing game, things will be looking good.

Offensively, I expect the Bills to do what they've done.  Be average.  Expect Thad to look a little more comfortable, but he's still going to have his moments.  Hopefully having Stevie back in the lineup will give him another option to look for rather than running and looking confused.  Stevie, gets open and I expect he will today.  The big question marks for me are... can Thad avoid some of the poor decisions he made last week? And can Hackett avoid those situationally poor decisions that he's done every game (run right, run right, short pass, punt).

I expect a close game.  However, I expect the better rested, home team to win.  But I'll be watching:

1. The Bills D-line.  Can they get some decent pressure on a young QB for once?

2. Kiko.  

3. Will the Dolphins target the one-armed Gilmore like the Bengals did?

4. Thad. Can he continue to look as good as his last showing?

5. CJ Spiller's ankle is supposedly feeling better. Let's hope he finds some open space.

6. The punt coverage unit. Will they blow another game and face the wrath of Kiko as he eats their heads one by one?

Go Bills!!

Week 7: Buffalo Bills at Miami Dolphins

Sunday, October 20, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Bill Macatee and Steve Tasker

DirecTV: 710

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan; Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 128

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Coming off a bye week following consecutive losses, the Dolphins hope they've fixed some of their issues as they look for their best six-game start in 10 years Sunday against the visiting Bills.

Miami got off to a 3-0 start before losing 38-17 at New Orleans on Sept. 30 and 26-23 to Baltimore on Oct. 6. A win in their AFC East opener will put the Dolphins at 4-2 for the first time since 2003.

The Bills are expected to have leading rusher C.J. Spiller and hope receiver Stevie Johnson is available, while quarterback Thad Lewis is set to make his second start despite the signing of Matt Flynn on Monday.

With rookie starter EJ Manuel out at least another four weeks because of a sprained right knee, Lewis looks to build on a solid debut after he connected on 19 of 32 attempts for 216 yards with two fourth-quarter touchdowns to lead the Bills' rally last week.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 7 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

Bills' Focus: Coach Marrone DolphinsPreview

NFL.com Video Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats: Bills Dolphins

Total Yds/Game.... 344.2 316.6

Total Rush.............148.8 69.6

Total Pass.............195.3 247.0

Points/Game.......... 22.7 22.8

Time of Poss.......... 27.3 27.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 395.0 393.0

Rush Yards........... 124.2 105.4

Pass Yards........... 270.8 287.6

Points Allowed........ 26.2 23.4

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS

Brooks, Ron DB Foot LP LP FP Probable

Johnson, Stevie WR Back LP FP FP Probable

Lawson, Manny LB Hamstring LP LP FP Probable

Lewis, Thad QB Foot FP FP FP Probable

Manuel, EJ QB Knee DNP DNP DNP Out

Spiller, C.J. RB Ankle DNP LP FP Probable

Williams, Mario DL Hip LP LP FP Probable

Williams, Kyle DL Achilles/Illness DNP FP DNP Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Miami Dolphins

Name Position Injury Practice Status Game Status

Dion Jordan DE Ankle Full Participation in Practice Probable

Jason Trusnik LB Rib Full Participation in Practice Probable

Mike Pouncey C Ankle Full Participation in Practice Probable

Koa Misi LB Shoulder Full Participation in Practice Probable

Brandon Fields P Back Full Participation in Practice Probable

Nate Garner T Knee Full Participation in Practice Probable

Dimitri Patterson CB Groin Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Dannell Ellerbe LB Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

Will Yeatman T Shoulder Full Participation in Practice Probable

Brandon Gibson WR Hip Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Cameron Wake DE Knee Full Participation in Practice Probable

Chris Clemons S Knee Full Participation in Practice Probable

Practice Status

DNP = Did not participate in practice

LP = Limited Participation in Practice - Less than 100% of a player's normal repetitions

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available

Game Status

Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Dolphins -8.5

Over/Under: 42.5

Source: Rant Sports

Up to date... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

By the numbers, this week's game looks to be pretty evenly matched. Both teams are averaging close to 23 points per game; however, the Dolphins are holding their oppenents to 3 fewer points than the Bills' defense. And therein lies the key to this game, the Bills D has to find a way to hold a well-rested offense.

The Dolphins don't have a great running attack. But, you can bet they've spent the last two weeks working on that and stressing it in their meetings. And we all know the Bills have a way of making very average players look like Pro Bowlers. So, I wouldn't take their run game lightly. If the Bills can hold them in check, they have a good shot at getting to Tannenhill.

Tanny has looked good, at times, but he's also looked like the young player that he is. Hopefully the Bills line can get after him and cause some of these mistakes. If they do that, hold the Dolphins run game to their season average while forcing a few turnovers in the passing game, things will be looking good.

Offensively, I expect the Bills to do what they've done. Be average. Expect Thad to look a little more comfortable, but he's still going to have his moments. Hopefully having Stevie back in the lineup will give him another option to look for rather than running and looking confused. Stevie, gets open and I expect he will today. The big question marks for me are... can Thad avoid some of the poor decisions he made last week? And can Hackett avoid those situationally poor decisions that he's done every game (run right, run right, short pass, punt).

I expect a close game. However, I expect the better rested, home team to win. But I'll be watching:

1. The Bills D-line. Can they get some decent pressure on a young QB for once?

2. Kiko.

3. Will the Dolphins target the one-armed Gilmore like the Bengals did?

4. Thad. Can he continue to look as good as his last showing?

5. CJ Spiller's ankle is supposedly feeling better. Let's hope he finds some open space.

6. The punt coverage unit. Will they blow another game and face the wrath of Kiko as he eats their heads one by one?

Go Bills!!

Can the DL get pressure??? Mario has 8.5 sacks, Hughes has 2, Kyle has 2.5 and Dareus has 4?? These are our 4 main pass rushers in passing situation. Branch or Bryant tends to be off field in those situations... On top of the sacks, they have all have solid ammounts of QB pressures as well. How can u say they FINALLY show up??? Cant get pressure on EVERY single play!

Can the DL get pressure??? Mario has 8.5 sacks, Hughes has 2, Kyle has 2.5 and Dareus has 4?? These are our 4 main pass rushers in passing situation. Branch or Bryant tends to be off field in those situations... On top of the sacks, they have all have solid ammounts of QB pressures as well. How can u say they FINALLY show up??? Cant get pressure on EVERY single play!

Couldn't agree more. How many sacks do the Bills need to capture before they are considered a high pressure team? They also until last week were leading the NFL in interceptions. Play to our strengths and run the ball down their throats for a 200 yd day. Eat clock, be careful on that up tempo stuff as it could kill us. If we go no huddle again lots of rushing. That will balance time of possession issue.

Go BILLS!

With nothing to support my perdicion...Bills in a 3 touchdown win....as the the Bills coaching staff finally finds a way to get both freddie and CJ on the field at the same time, putting CJ in motion with a LB covering creating mismatches...getting screens back in the game plan for CJ and freddie with a healthy dose of Freddie up the gut opening up play action to stevie et al....is this to good to be true? My prediction stands.

PS Swarming Defense with lots of sacks caused by great coverage...Monday morning the NFL passes the rule that the Bills can only field 10 players on defense which will come to be known as the Kiko rule. It will be a blood bath. The law of averages says it has to happen at some point...doesn't it? I still hate the dolphins.

Go Bills!

My peonic, couch-gating, arm-chair analysis to winning this game is:

-Pressure and beat up on Tannehill. Early, often. Make him uncomfortable in the pocket.

-Take advantage of their aggressive defense (and they are good) by looping it over their heads to Freddy / CJ. Please offense, use the screen pass.

- Keep fresh legs in the game. Its gonna be in the 90's in Miami today.

- No silly penalties negating 1st and 3rd down big gains.

Not only is Tannenhill getting sacked a ton, its not like they have just 1 game they struggled in pass protection. EVERY game this yr he has a minimum of 4 sacks. Teams have been getting to him every week. If we can get pressure and win turnover battle we will win this game.

MUST stop run EARLY cuz Dolphins are very quick to trigger to just abandon it completely. If we can get early lead and shut rushing attack down, Williams, Hughes, Kyle and Marcel will feast on him. Dont need to over blitz today.

I expect to see them try and copy what Cinci did to us that torched us, throw WR screens. We must not get creamed on those plays.

I say finally show up... meaning at the right time. 3rd and longs, they need to get pressure and get off the field. What good does it do to hold the early down run game, if tou just let the QB get comfortable on 3rd? I just hope we get pressure when it counts.

Thanks for all the thanks. If anyone things of any info I could add/include for future weeks, just let me know.