boyst

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many words.

And nah. Not top 5. Not top ten.

If you're starting a franchise, not hardly. If you've got one game and can choose any back, not hardly. If you're deciding who to Franchise Tag, not hardly.

He's good. Which is why he's fortunate enuf to still be getting an NFL paycheck as the oldest RB in football. In no danger of getting cut. Getting the absolute most out of his talent, body, age, etc. But put the pipe down, sir.

Love Freddie. But not hardly.

you probably didn't even read most of, if not any of the post.

But, sure... I will play. Who is better? Who is your top 10? This was not a thread to say you'd start a team with FJ - at his age, no way. Heck, any back over 27 is not one I'd build a brand new team around.

Jackson puts more product on the field then backs like Bush, Morris, Gore, Bernard, etc. He has all the tools. His breakaway runs are limited, but he can move the ball 30 yards still.

I think most people here love Freddie, so I can't imagine you'll get a lot of backlash. Maybe at the suggestion he's a top 5 back, but even that isn't terribly controversial. Just perhaps a bit inflated.

Personally, I love having both CJ and Freddie. I think Freddie should still be the featured back, and have CJ coming in periodically for a change of pace. I'm comfortable with a 60-40 split between Freddie and CJ.

I like CJ, but I think he needs a top line and a strong FB to succeed. I see a correlation between the loss of Swamp Boy (Corey Mac), the decrease in the quality of LG, and the decrease in Spiller's production.

Fred, on the other hand, give him the ball and he'll give you 3 yards and change, every time. Give him a block or two, and he'll give you more. He's Money man, Money. If you're trying to build your franchise and you need someone who can get the most with the minimum help, FredEx delivers.

And yeah, I thought Pierre-Paul woulda been a better pick.

Edited by Hopeful

I agree and I didn't read 98% of the post. Fred Jackson is a running backs running back. If he had a longer career and wasn't constantly fighting for playing time he would be a first ballot hall of famer.

That's going too far IMO.

It has been a real pleasure getting to see Fred play over the years because he does just about everything his position requires very well. He is a high end tailback. For those who say he is to explosive I would disagree. Although arguably Chan's system was conducive to it, before he got hurt a couple of years ago he was proving to be a gamechanger and plenty explosive.

Although as someone has said he is perhaps getting the most out of his abilities now he is the poster child for a player that has not gotten the most out of his talent over his career, through no fault of his own.

No question that if he had gotten his opportunity sooner and especially had he developed with the right team, o-line and scheme he would be a household name in every NFL city, not just Blo.

Having said all that, it's not as though he has failed to earn cudos. He is generally regarded in the business as a very good football player and a consummate professional.

wait, what? an opinion backed up with real numbers and facts?

how refreshing. seems like we've had a lot of ridiculous posts lately (ie: "Kyle Williams is the reason our run defense sucks" thread)

I agree mostly. certainly a top 5 back in terms of completeness and team value when factoring in pass protection, work ethic, leadership, toughness etc. I think you might have underestimated some other back as far as protection goes (for example I think AP is a tremendous pass protector) but that was a solid post Jboy.

as far as a pure runner, he isn't in the top 10, but I sure love the guy. Our best Bill and the reason I have forgiven Levy for his weak performance as GM here.

I agree and I didn't read 98% of the post. Fred Jackson is a running backs running back. If he had a longer career and wasn't constantly fighting for playing time he would be a first ballot hall of famer.

Oh my g-d... i really hope u are kidding???

This thread is a bit over the top... Spreading the love for Freddie... Yes... is he a top 10 RB???? NO CHANCE!! Be realistic guys...And if he played longer he would be a FIRST BALLOT HOF?????

Fred is a solid RB and a great complement to CJ when CJ is healthy. He does everything pretty well but is excellent at nothing. Great teammate and great leader and a guy ANY Football team should want to have on their roster but he is not a game changer.

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

LeSean McCoy

Matt Forte

Jamaal Charles

Alfred Morris

Marshawn Lynch

Okay, so which one/s is Fred better than?

for sure Morris. He is neck and neck with Foster. He is arguable with Charles....but not enough to say better. None of those guys can block and none bring to the table what Fred does. Edited by jboyst62

It's hard to be considered a top-5 RB if you aren't the hands-down feature back. It's not fair to compare Fred to guys that carry the ball 25-30+ times every week.

That said, Freddy has Jedi running skills that transcend what you see from 95% of RBs in the NFL. He's truly amazing to watch.

Edited by skibum

for sure Morris. He is neck and neck with Foster. He is arguable with Charles....but not enough to say better. None of those guys can block and none bring to the table what Fred does.

One thing to consider on that list is # of carries. The SeaSnakes last year were a run-first team, as were the Texans and the 49'ers. The Bills under Gailey, on the other hand, were so skewed in favor of the pass that their # of attempts ranked up there with GB, NO, NE - in other words, teams that had tip-top QB talent

One thing to consider on that list is # of carries. The SeaSnakes last year were a run-first team, as were the Texans and the 49'ers. The Bills under Gailey, on the other hand, were so skewed in favor of the pass that their # of attempts ranked up there with GB, NO, NE - in other words, teams that had tip-top QB talent

The bills were 13th in the league in rushing attempts, and ran more than league average. They were correspondingly 23rd in pass attempts. (From pro football references counts, which I assume accurate)

Edited by NoSaint

Is he a homerun threat every time you hand it to him? Otherwise I agree he does it all, but that is a big one that's hard to say yes to. He's a bit more welker than Calvin Johnson for another position that often gets rankings debated -- super reliable, smart, productive but is he top 5? Without a truly elite dimension it's hard to put those hard workers that high for me atleast.

No he isn't. But I would rather have the guy who hits .300 with 2 home runs 40 doubles, steals 25 bags, yet still drives in 80 and does it all opposed to the guy who hits .225 with 25 homers and not much else.

No he isn't. But I would rather have the guy who hits .300 with 2 home runs 40 doubles, steals 25 bags, yet still drives in 80 and does it all opposed to the guy who hits .225 with 25 homers and not much else.

So which are you implying does that? I'm pretty sure guys like Peterson, foster, McCoy, forte etc.... Are getting shortchanged on blocking and intangibles because they aren't easily quantified - and those are being weighted too heavily additionally.

Maybe your Jackson stat line vs a .290, with 30 hrs, 100 rbis and only a handful of steals would be closer to where i think the discussion falls. Fred's very good but lets not act like the others are bums that just occasionally get a long run.

Edited by NoSaint

I think part of the problem is people only consider the value of an RB as a runner and Fred isn't top 5 in that category...or top 10. If you put it all together though, blocking, receiving, leadership, then the discussion gets interesting. The guy does it all and does it all at a high level. Even splitting carries there aren't many RBs who are more valuable to their team than Freddie.

With all Fred has done he must even do more. The next ten games will tell if he's a candidate for the wall in ten years.

I got toasted a bunch of times over the off season in a thread where this debate came up.....

Though I wasn't part of that debate(at least I don't think I was), I tend to think that your view should have been disputed in the off-season if you were claiming that FJ was(at that point) a top 5 RB.

IMO he clearly was a top 5 RB in 2011.....but he got injured. His 2012 performance was not as stellar. It might have been that he was needing a year to come back from the injury, or it could simply have been him hitting the wall due to age. At that point I would have thought it fair to say that he had been a top 5 RB......but claiming that he was still one last off-season was perhaps wishful thinking.

As it's panned out, that wishful thinking has IMO turned out to be correct(to a point). He is again producing at a very high level(top 5) when he plays.....but perhaps he couldn't maintain the same level as a feature back, thus discounting him from the top 5 list. Perhaps he could though.....unless CJ gets majorly injured I figure we will never know.

All that said, I am a huge fan of FJ. I rue the fact that he got injured in 2011. Had that not occurred, his story would have been stuff of legend.

Edited by Dibs

If I was a moderator I'd ban you for that.

I have nightmares that in a few years we will not retain Jackson and I know 100% he will go to NE and perform well. Belichick will squeeze the last drops out of him and Jackson will give his all, because that's what he does...and he'll go to the ProBowl. He'll have tons of yards catching...gosh. I do not want to think of it. That's why I'd ban you. You fueled those nightmares again. :censored:

my sincere apologies :rolleyes:

Fred Jackson is awesome and I think you could make an argument he is one If the most under appreciated players in the league.

If he played for cowboys/pats*/giants etc...he would be a star with more media exposure.

He's the heart and soul of the team. It seems how fred goes the team goes.

He is also very good in the community and super down to earth. I actually saw him at my sons schools open house last week and he was just hanging out with his family and visiting with teachers. Super cool to see.(and no I didn't bother him, that would have been tacky and rude) all the other parents let him do his thing too so It was nice to see everyone respectfully giving him his space just like anyone else.