Only two NFL teams have scored 20+ points in each game

I think we have some positives on both sides of the ball, and areas that need to be improved. Clearly, C. Brown situation on the O-line has been resolved. Gillmore coming back is huge, esp. when the huge cast is gone. The pass rush could be more consistent (is awesome at times, non-existent at others), but it's been above-average so far. Given the QB and WR merry-go-round, the passing game has actually been decent. Imagine if we had a QB start a bunch of games in a row with the same WR's. That would be something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree as well. But then again we played a lot of close exciting game with Dick Jauron too. Hopefully they will start turning into wins soon and get us over the hump and into better times.

Go BILLS !!!

I honestly remember very little of the Dick Jauron era as being "exciting". Way more frustrating, and boring, than exciting, is the way I remember it. I won't blame it all on DJ, but his teams, offensively, were just painful to watch...painful. The philosophy seemed to be, during that time, "lets just not take any chances and hope the other team makes a mistake we can capitalize on, and steal a win"...he was the ultimate "play not to lose" guy, who, ironically, lost quite a few more than he won.

Gailey, and Hackett are not perfect, mind you, but Gailey had twice the balls that Jauron had with his offense (I realize Gailey was HC/OC, while DJ was just the HC), and Hackett has been erratic...Hackett benefits, because he has more talent to work with than either of the other two guys...

Not to go off on a tangent (here comes a tangent), but I was very pleased with Thad Lewis' performance on Sunday (as many were), but I think lost in all of that is that Hackett called a pretty good game, for his QB. I am not so sure he has called a game as well for Manuel.

Our biggest problem: Kick coverage, specifically, Punt coverage! . . . I think you hang the last two games on poor executions of the punting coverage unit.

You're right, as frustrating as I have been with Hackett at times, at least he has been getting results.

And the Defense is a work in progress, and while not consistent at times (that's the price you pay with an aggressive blitzing approach), it is still much improved.

Punt coverage is shoddy but kickoff coverage has been excellent pinning teams inside the 20 with regularity

Offense not bad, but it means nothing when the defense give up more. That is how they keep score, so what is your point?

Would you rather have a loss at 51-48 or a win 10-9?

I'd rather have a loss at 51-48. If I'm putting up 48 points a game, that means I have my franchise QB, and a good supporting cast to go around him. Give a good GM a few years to focus on defense, and he will put together a defensive unit which can keep teams to much less than 51 points! That's when you start winning Super Bowls.

It's very hard to win Super Bowls 10-9. Unless you're the Ravens of 2000, it's very hard to hold good postseason opponents to 9 points.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I honestly remember very little of the Dick Jauron era as being "exciting". Way more frustrating, and boring, than exciting, is the way I remember it. I won't blame it all on DJ, but his teams, offensively, were just painful to watch...painful. The philosophy seemed to be, during that time, "lets just not take any chances and hope the other team makes a mistake we can capitalize on, and steal a win"...he was the ultimate "play not to lose" guy, who, ironically, lost quite a few more than he won.

Gailey, and Hackett are not perfect, mind you, but Gailey had twice the balls that Jauron had with his offense (I realize Gailey was HC/OC, while DJ was just the HC), and Hackett has been erratic...Hackett benefits, because he has more talent to work with than either of the other two guys...

Not to go off on a tangent (here comes a tangent), but I was very pleased with Thad Lewis' performance on Sunday (as many were), but I think lost in all of that is that Hackett called a pretty good game, for his QB. I am not so sure he has called a game as well for Manuel.

Actually Jauron was the HC, and defacto GM / partial OC. Remember he took the heat for OC Turk Schonert by stating he called that roll out play for JP Losman against the Jets that lost them the game. For some inexplicable reason Jauron didn't want an experienced NFL offensive coordinator. Reflecting back on it Jauron / Schonert & AVP actually did better with Losman / Edwards then Gailey did with an experienced QB in terms of wins.

You guys need to remember that Nate Hackett is also a rookie OC, calling plays for a QB that didn't even play more then 2 pre season games because of injury. The other two young QB's, an un drafted free agent and Kid off the practice didn't get many reps in camp or in the pre season.

That said, now looking at the total offensive rankings so far this season to last year. This 2013 season Buffalo is 15th in yards, 26th passing (with 3 rookie QB's), #3 in rushing.

2012 19th in total offense, 25th in passing, 6th in rushing.

EJ is currently ranked 28th which is better then Locker, Henne, Ponder, Freeman, Foles, Fitz, Cassell, Gabbert, Glennon, Matt Flynn, Thad lewis.

I gotta disagree with this too. Marrone is using a hurry up, no-huddle offense with first a rookie, and then a guy from the practice squad...not very Jauron-ian. This team is nothing like a Dick Jauron team.

Wasn't it Jauron (with hacket on the offensive staff) that signed off on the no huddle with van pelt at OC?

The streak stays intact with a load of help from the defense with a pick six and the strip sack by Mario.

We had 20 before the sack, didnt we?

I think people are making way too much about averaging over 20. It's inflated because there are more plays in bills games due to the hurry-up.

I'm sorry to say, but I suspect when D is the strength of the team it's stupid to hurry up on O. Think of it like this, hurry-up tends to make a game higher scoring, so it becomes more about the offenses

Bills have historic 20/20 outlook through seven games

Football Outsiders assistant editor Scott Kacsmar pointed out the Bills are just the sixth team in NFL history to score and allow at least 20 points in each of their first seven games. The others were the 1967 New York Giants, the 1985 Cincinnati Bengals, 2000 St. Louis Rams, 2000 San Francisco 49ers and 2002 New Orleans Saints.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Bills have historic 20/20 outlook through seven games

Football Outsiders assistant editor Scott Kacsmar pointed out the Bills are just the sixth team in NFL history to score and allow at least 20 points in each of their first seven games. The others were the 1967 New York Giants, the 1985 Cincinnati Bengals, 2000 St. Louis Rams, 2000 San Francisco 49ers and 2002 New Orleans Saints.

So what does it mean?

The offense is good?

The defense is bad?