Here's a Stat I Thought We'd Never See for the Bills' D

It seems like it's been ages since the Bills D could stop opposing TEs. All the way back to the Bledsoe to Ben Coates days teams seemed to be able to send the TE down the seam and pile up big yards against the boys from Buffalo.

Imagine my surprise when I found this piece of info in an ESPN article about Cleveland TE Jordan Cameron:

"His Week 5 opponent, the Buffalo Bills, have allowed the fifth-fewest fantasy points per game (4.6) to tight ends this season."

I know the D isn't a finished product yet, but by eliminating the threat of the TE, Pettine has gotten them somewhere that decades of Defensive Coordinators have failed to do here.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Unfortunately he (like many of out past coaches) can't stop the damn run.

I have to say it again. I know I sound like a broken record here, but the one constant on our DLine throughout the years as we've sucked against the run... Kyle Williams. Not saying he's bad but he's definitely more of a pass rush penetrator than a run stopper.

It seems like it's been ages since the Bills D could stop opposing TEs. All the way back to the Bledsoe to Ben Coates days teams seemed to be able to send the TE down the seam and pile up big yards against the boys from Buffalo.

Imagine my surprise when I found this piece of info in an ESPN article about Cleveland TE Jordan Cameron:

"His Week 5 opponent, the Buffalo Bills, have allowed the fifth-fewest fantasy points per game (4.6) to tight ends this season."

I know the D isn't a finished product yet, but by eliminating the threat of the TE, Pettine has gotten them somewhere that decades of Defensive Coordinators have failed to do here.

It's funny how dumping a no talent waste of space like "Dumb-te Whiffner" improves this category...

I'd love to see how much San Fran improves if they benched him too.

I've noticed that when TEs are thrown to, they're often covered by CBs (who seem to do a reasonable job of preventing a completion). One can also theorize that when the TE isn't seen, they too, are usually covered (well) by a CB & therefore seldom considered an option by the QB.

I have to say it again. I know I sound like a broken record here, but the one constant on our DLine throughout the years as we've sucked against the run... Kyle Williams. Not saying he's bad but he's definitely more of a pass rush penetrator than a run stopper.

This^ still get gashed on the ground and make average QBs look like HOFers.. Dalton, Geno.. etc. Even Weeden looked good.

Yes injuries...

I haven't looked at the actual yards we've given up to TEs but fantasy statistics don't necessarily mean anything. For example, when examining lamar miller vs. the bills next weekend:

"Buffalo has given up the 7th fewest fantasy points to Running Backs this season"

That's probably because teams just run it all day down the field against us and lob one into the end zone for a touchdown instead of running it in. That will make a run D look good in fantasy.

I disagree slightly on the run. The Bills are 28th in yards allowed, but that doesn't tell the whole story. YPA tells a little better of a story, with the Bills currently ranking 14th at 3.9 YPA. And even with all those yard given up they've only surrendered 2 rushing TDs, compared to Cleveland who has given up 8. Also, the longest run of the year against the Bills is 34 yards, which is 11th I'm the league.

I just don't think total yards tells you everything about the run defense.

I've noticed this trend as well since back in Week 1. I'm surprised we are only #5.

We blanked Zach Sudfeld in Week 1. Kellen Winslow and Dallas Clark were putting up good numbers until we played him in Week 3. Jordan Cameron was putting up Pro Bowl numbers until Week 4. The Bengals have two good tight ends in Jermaine Gresham and Tyler Eifert. Neither did much on Sunday.

Greg Olsen scored a touchdown in Week 2, but didn't dominate. He was about the only TE that did anything against us this year.

Anybody with All-22? I'm curious who has been handling the majority of coverage on tight ends. Alonso? Moats? Searcy? Williams?

Although Alonso is clearly helping contain opponents' TEs, I think Manny Lawson has added alot in TE pass coverage as well, which was one of the chief reasons we acquired him this past offseason from Cincy. I'm not sure about the ability of CBs to cover TEs, at least not the best ones. The Fox broadcast crew gave alot of credit to Haqib Talib of NE shutting out NO TE Jimmy Graham on Sunday afternoon, but I think Graham wasn't 100% healthy. A 6'6" TE against a 5'9" conner seems like a mismatch to me, no?

I disagree slightly on the run. The Bills are 28th in yards allowed, but that doesn't tell the whole story. YPA tells a little better of a story, with the Bills currently ranking 14th at 3.9 YPA. And even with all those yard given up they've only surrendered 2 rushing TDs, compared to Cleveland who has given up 8. Also, the longest run of the year against the Bills is 34 yards, which is 11th I'm the league.

I just don't think total yards tells you everything about the run defense.

it doesn't tell you everything. But just looking at stats makes you look like your not watching the games. The runs have been horrendous at the worst times.

I half suspect you are correct. On a positive note, here's more confirmation that Branch is a stabilizing force against the run.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/15/bills-offseason-pickups-producing-on-d/

I half suspect you are correct. On a positive note, here's more confirmation that Branch is a stabilizing force against the run.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/15/bills-offseason-pickups-producing-on-d/

unfortunately I fear I'm correct as well. I've never been shy about my opinion of Kyle as a football player. IMO, he's over rated. I've stated it's because he's a country white bit, who brings his lunch pal to work, with a blue collar attitude and he's got a high motor. That's all great. And I believe he's good. But I seriously doubt his ability beyond good. I personally don't think he's pro bowl caliber and he might be very effective in the pass rush, he's putrid against the run most of the times. There's nothing wrong with that. But it's not what we need him to do. It's like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Usually when I see Branch, he's in there with Kyle. (At least what I've noticed) I'd actually like to see him with Marcell a bit more (and he might be and I'm just not paying attention).

In fact, I'd like to see Kyle play DE with MD and Branch in at the DT positions and Mario in the other side. Not sure I've seen that at all but it sure would be scary. I'd dare teams to run on us at that point.

Good thought, maybe time to move on from ol Kyle to another big body to place next to Dareus.

What's it called, "Borrowing from Peter, to pay Paul"?

unfortunately I fear I'm correct as well. I've never been shy about my opinion of Kyle as a football player. IMO, he's over rated. I've stated it's because he's a country white bit, who brings his lunch pal to work, with a blue collar attitude and he's got a high motor. That's all great. And I believe he's good. But I seriously doubt his ability beyond good. I personally don't think he's pro bowl caliber and he might be very effective in the pass rush, he's putrid against the run most of the times. There's nothing wrong with that. But it's not what we need him to do. It's like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Usually when I see Branch, he's in there with Kyle. (At least what I've noticed) I'd actually like to see him with Marcell a bit more (and he might be and I'm just not paying attention).

In fact, I'd like to see Kyle play DE with MD and Branch in at the DT positions and Mario in the other side. Not sure I've seen that at all but it sure would be scary. I'd dare teams to run on us at that point.

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said basically that Kyle would be a great situational rotation player, but having a blue chip DL next to 99 on first and second down would be great.

More early draft picks please...

• 2 weeks later...

Bills D has risen to number 1 against TEs in the NFL. Check this out from ESPN:

But it's a little surprising Buffalo's defense might be capable of shutting New Orleans down. The Bills' defense ranks sixth in FO's numbers, just like New Orleans' offense. And it's almost like their scheme was designed especially to stop this particular offense. The Saints' leading receiver is tight end Jimmy Graham, and Buffalo is the best team in the league at covering tight ends. The Bills are allowing just 5.2 yards per target to tight ends (league average: 7.6), with three interceptions in 43 throws. And this is assuming Graham can even play. He's questionable with a leg injury. If Graham can't get open or isn't even on the field, whom will Drew Brees target next?