Should the Bills Lock in Thad Lewis?

patfitz

If Thad continues to perform at or above the level he did for the Bills vs. Bengals do you think the Bills' Front Office should lock him in with a contract extension that would be comparable to that bestowed upon the "average" NFL backup QB, compared to a contarct for a practice squad promotion? I wonder what the current Bills FO actually offered or would have paid Ryan Fitzpartick to stay on as the backup QB? Would Thad Lewis even be in that ballpark? Or even in Matt Flynn's signing range? What say you?

Edited by patfitz

If he continues to perform like he did against Bungles for 3 or 4 more weeks, there will be suitors in the off season. We won't be able to offer him some low ball figure. If he has performed well enough to be a real back up for us, he'll probably be lookin' for 3 - 4 mil and could get it. Heck, that's what Tyler Pigpen got.

If he has a few more good games, yes, extend him before he hits the FA market to a INCENTIVE based contract, unlike the contract that Fitz got. And I think the comparisons to Fitz are unfair to Thad. Thad has tools that Fitz never had (ability to throw down-field, etc.)

Knowing the Bills, he will play very well, they won't sign him to anything based on the Fitz Fiasco, and then he will sign w/ another team in the off season and be a perennial pro-bowl player. ha.

I believe we all remember the last "knee-jerk" QB contract the Bills put out there. I also believe it is safe to say that will not be happening again anytime soon. If Thad continues to perform well then offer him a contract at season's end, a reasonable contract if he is worth it.

So Thad is a RFA at the end of this year, not a UFA. No need to rush into anything.

it weird, but i think from a financial perspective, best thing that could have happened to Hoyer was getting knocked out for the year. Guarantees himself at a minimum a job next year..and maybe even an extension with some guarantees thrown in.No chance for flaws to be exposed, only positives on the film.

Thad prolly in a similar boat..

despite all the emotional fans posting here, I believe lewis is a solid back up. He wouldnt have performed as well as he did without preparing everyweek prior to his call to start. He seems to understand his role and understands the team aspect of the game. This guy deserves a roster spot. I hope he backs up EJ, He has a better skillset than Fitz and Tuel. Every deep ball he threw, whether its a completion or not was right there. Only thing id criticize thus far is he holds on the ball too long.

If Thad continues to perform at or above the level he did for the Bills vs. Bengals do you think the Bills' Front Office should lock him in with a contract extension that would be comparable to that bestowed upon the "average" NFL backup QB, compared to a contarct for a practice squad promotion? I wonder what the current Bills FO actually offered or would have paid Ryan Fitzpartick to stay on as the backup QB? Would Thad Lewis even be in that ballpark? Or even in Matt Flynn's signing range? What say you?

Absolutely! If there's one thing Rob Johnson taught me it is that a QB should be offered a big multi-year deal based on his performance in one game.

Ger 'er done, Russ! :doh:

Edited by ChevyVanMiller