Is the season about to go into a downward spiral?

Like typical Bills seasons, they haven't won a game in a division. Losing close games like in previous regimes. With a potential loss to the Dolphins they will be 2-5 at the end of next week and 0-3 in the division.

Then we are due for the potential blowout losses to the Saints and perhaps the Chiefs. This Marrone team (just like Gailey's) got smacked around in the trenches against Jets. Then we play a similar type team in the Steelers.

The first year of Marrone is looking more and more like Gailey's first year. Yet Marrone inherited a MUCH better roster. Night and day better.

I have a hard time seeing us anything other than 2-9 3-8 before we play the bucs.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like typical Bills seasons, they haven't won a game in a division. Losing close games like in previous regimes. With a potential loss to the Dolphins they will be 2-5 at the end of next week and 0-3 in the division.

Then we are due for the potential blowout losses to the Saints and perhaps the Chiefs. This Marrone team (just like Gailey's) got smacked around in the trenches against Jets. Then we play a similar type team in the Steelers.

The first year of Marrone is looking more and more like Gailey's first year. Yet Marrone inherited a MUCH better roster. Night and day better.

I have a hard time seeing us anything other than 2-9 3-8 before we play the bucs.

Reminds me of those Gailey and Jauron coached teams that beat the defending Super Bowl Champs with a rookie QB.

Oh wait...

It's not that hard at all, though you can choose to look at it any way you like.

They have not played the Dolphins yet. That makes it, by definition, too early to claim they are 2-5 and 0-3 in the division. The Dolphins are solid this year, but are not the 1972 version of their team. This Bills team has a lot of talent and potential, and has been in every game this year. If they can pull it together, they can certainly win in Miami. If they do, the season can turn around.

That is an example of the use of the subjunctive in the service of positive thinking.

Before the EJ injury i thought they'd go 1-1 vs Cleveland and Cinci. Didn't happen. I'm very high on this team and coaching staff though. They seem to be tougher to play against than recent Bills teams.

That said i'd be surprised if they get a win at Miami or New Orleans. I'd be stunned if they won both. Maybe we will get lucky and Jimmy Graham's injury will extend a couple weeks. KC is due to lose a game and they are not (in my opinion) as dangerous offensively as Cincinnati. I think when KC comes to Buffalo (with the Bills possibly on a 3 game losing streak)...it will be a bit of a hornets nest for KC.

No. Only been a play or 2 away from a fantastic season. Everyone knew this would be an up and down year..

Just like with Gailey. If Johnson doesn't drop that pass, fitz doesn't throw that interception in the final drive, Jackson doesn't fumble in overtime.

The majority of games come down to a few crucial plays. No different than a lot of the Jauron games, Mularkey etc.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

So much cynicism towards a team we all purport to love. I'm a fan who struggles with the self-identity crisis Bills fans endure. The 13 straight seasons of no playoffs, after an era of brilliance. It's difficult to keep the faith during these dark times. Every time we as fans get upset, could it not be the fact that we fill voids in our life loving this team? The past few years I've slowly begun to appreciate this. I revel in the mediocrity, and apparent lack of progress. The quagmire of ineptitude the Bills find themselves in really reflects the lives of the majority of the Bills fan base. When you think about it the fair weather fans gave up on this franchise long ago.

Disagree, but hard to argue with this line of thinking.

Well, that's one way to look at it.

Or, the Bills, seething after letting a game slip away against the Bengals, put a pasting on the Dolphins that starts them on a roll and they reel off 8 straight to sit at 10-4 going into their final two games against the Pats* and Dolphins, which they go on to win, knocking both division foes out of the playoffs in the process, and they finish 12-4.

GO BILLS!!!

I did not have illusions of playoffs at the start of the season as this is a VERY young team top to bottom. So far this is about what I expected and I am not that disappointed. I would love them to be 6-0, however, just not realistic. We competed yesterday with Thad Lewis against a defense that held Tom Brady to no touchdowns. What gives me hope is that Marrone was disappointed that they did not get the W. That is the difference...he expects to win and I think they will come.

Edited by buffalopdc

If the playoffs started today, a 3-3 team would capture the final wild card spot. That means Buffalo is only 1 game out at this point (not withstanding tie-breakers). Too early to give up on this season. They could easily have a much better record. This team needs to learn to WIN and decide they will NOT walk off the field losers. They can be good enough to earn a wild card spot, but they have to understand no more moral victories -- that's just not good enough.

Edited by ChasBB

Already gotta start rooting for division leaders NE, Cinci, Indy and Denver to start steamrolling other AFC teams that are battling for the wild card spots. Bills can only afford 2-3 more losses tops. I'm still not 100% buying KC but they have put themselves in a great position to buffer against some losses....and they will be losing some games soon.

They are still on pace for 5 wins, about what was expected to start the season. Good base talent, but no depth. A good draft and key FA signings and it's playoffs next year. But as far as this year, it's difficult to downward spiral with no expectations of being good...

Just like with Gailey. If Johnson doesn't drop that pass, fitz doesn't throw that interception in the final drive, Jackson doesn't fumble in overtime.

The majority of games come down to a few crucial plays. No different than a lot of the Jauron games, Mularkey etc.

It is hard to argue with this...I felt this way yesterday and still do. I try to be optimistic, but I have been fooled by this team way to many times....

Our D is close to being at a level it should be at, our STs suck and our offense is putrid. Yes I know we are the 3rd team in the NFL in rushing, but we go 3 and out way to much with Spiller up the middle, spiller up the middle and either an incomplete or a pass short of the first down marker. Or yesterday's 4th and goal play who made that call Killdrive or Mularky?

The Bills have played 4 out of 6 games at home, and have only 3 home games left (Toronto is decidedly not a home game given that they're playing a dome team -- Atlanta -- there). One of those home games is against the Chiefs. So yes, it looks pretty bleak. I expect either 4-12 or 5-11. The question is whether they'll be able to land a true blue chip player with their first pick next year.