American Indian group wants the Cleveland Indians name changed

Story: http://cleveland.cbs...n-indian-group/. Group says mascot, potentially name racist.

Obama now wants the Skins name changed. Look out Braves, Seminoles, Chiefs, Blackhawks...

Also wonder about the Vikings name/mascot. It's apparently racist to depict an indian, but not a viking.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I am getting so tired of all the traction this story is getting.

How long before PETA sticks their noses in this debates and convinces the masses that Lions, Tigers, Broncos, Bears, Falcons, Panthers and all the rest are abusive and hurtful to the animal world?

Man, I am getting so tired of all the traction this story is getting.

How long before PETA sticks their noses in this debates and convinces the masses that Lions, Tigers, Broncos, Bears, Falcons, Panthers and all the rest are abusive and hurtful to the animal world?

Not to mention having a team share a name with the biggest animal rights absuer of them all: Buffalo Bill.

I'd also like to know how midgets feel about the insensitively named New York Giants.

And environmentalists about the NY Jets. Do you guys know what the carbon footprint is of a jet plane??

Nonsense. Again, a simple logo change would put an end to it.

sikh-festivals.jpg

Isn't Kahn going to make that Jacksonville's new logo?

Not to mention having a team share a name with the biggest animal rights absuer of them all: Buffalo Bill.

and don't forget his unforgivable exploitation of Sitting Bull and other once-proud native americans.

Don't forget team that uses the exploitation of simple miners in San Francisco, the teams that glorify rapists, thieves and murderers in both Oakland and Tampa Bay, the celebration of oppressors/murders/racists by both Dallas and Houston and the clearly scary nicknames invoked by the Minnesota team's ghastly color scheme (not to mention that team's penchant for bringing to light all of the atrocities committed against the peoples of western Europe 1,000+ years ago).

Don't even get me started on the violent imagery perpetuated by the teams in the WNBA and NHL. Evil racist corporatist bastards exploiting everyone and everything.

Why a drawing of a person depicting ethnicity is considered "racist" is something I will never understand. Firmly believe PCers have deep seeded bigotry within and compensate with this mindless crap. We can take their views and extend it to 30 - 40 percent of the teams out there (seriously what about the Vikings?). Before it's done, we'll have a generic, faceless, soulless and politically correct brand for each team like the Warriors image above. WTF is that thing, anyway?

Why a drawing of a person depicting ethnicity is considered "racist" is something I will never understand. Firmly believe PCers have deep seeded bigotry within and compensate with this mindless crap. We can take their views and extend it to 30 - 40 percent of the teams out there (seriously what about the Vikings?). Before it's done, we'll have a generic, faceless, soulless and politically correct brand for each team like the Warriors image above. WTF is that thing, anyway?

I think the issue is power and control and the image portrayed. I am not sure where the Natives stand on teams like the BlackHawks, Illini, and Seminoles. I know the Illini are very active in the image the UofI portrays.

I think the issue is power and control and the image portrayed. I am not sure where the Natives stand on teams like the BlackHawks, Illini, and Seminoles. I know the Illini are very active in the image the UofI portrays.

So what's wrong with the way the Redskins imagine is portrayed? That's not a strong and dignified image???

I'd also like to know how midgets feel about the insensitively named New York Giants.

And environmentalists about the NY Jets. Do you guys know what the carbon footprint is of a jet plane??

Isn't Kahn going to make that Jacksonville's new logo?

That made me laugh. Pretty much any joke involving midgets is high percentage. Ive always liked both the Indians and the Redskins logos. Never considered them negative just kind of cool. Edited by Dante

So what's wrong with the way the Redskins imagine is portrayed? That's not a strong and dignified image???

As far as Redskins go, calling attention to skin color is the problem in my opinion. A vote should be taken at all reservations across the nation to determine how American Indians feel about the name.

Then honor the outcome...

As far as Redskins go, calling attention to skin color is the problem in my opinion. A vote should be taken at all reservations across the nation to determine how American Indians feel about the name.

The 'we know what you should think/feel better than you do' crowd would never agree that.

Somehow "Fools rush in where wise men never go" just flashed through my brain.

You are an intelligent and erudite poster, and we are lucky to have you here.

No, it doesn't. If you want to espouse nanny Bloomberg's latest crusade you won't get much sympathy here. Now, don't you have an under side of a rock to protect?

but it may appeal to American Indians, so why not name a team after the pale face?

Hell, while we're at it, lets honor the Chinese with a team called the yellow bellies...

Edited by dog14787