For those of you missing Levitre

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point was that they could have gotten a better player for $8m/yr. The fact that they didn't bothers me, but it is the fact they didn't use the money on any player, rather than the fact that they didn't use it on Levitre, that bothers me.

The real problem is the Bills had no 'Plan B' here and the value of Levitre is relative to the alternatives the team has available. Which given what we've seen from the play at the LG position all season was nothing much. Maybe he wasn't worth $8 Mil per season but facing the alternative of a substandard offensive line (with a rookie QB) it might have made sense in that situation. Especially when you have no cap issues to contend with.

If you've got another player ready that will give you the same or close to the same level of play then making the decision solely based on money might make sense. Look at the Steelers for example. They've let players walk (LB, WR etc.) during the course of time because they had other players on the bench being groomed that could fill the spot. The mistake the Bills have consistently made is not re-signing players at a position where they have no viable back up on the roster and then they fail to acquire legitimate alternatives. Letting players go based on a proven system of roster and cap management is one thing but letting them go and having it result in your team being weaker or creating a hole is a good way to 'run in place' forever.

Let's see if this Brandon/Whaley/Marrone team approaches this differently or not.

Levitre was this team's MVP for the last 4 years. Durable, versatile, good.

That we have failed so spectacularly to find his replacement proves how badly the FO did on this one.

I don't miss levitre but I do miss having someone reliable out there, regardless of name

when are people gonna learn the key to a great offense is 4 pro bowlers on the offensive line.

Will Wilford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, John Davis, House Ballard = 4 trips to the Super Bowl

things get easier when you have 10 seconds to throw or holes you can run a truck through.

when are people gonna learn the key to a great offense is 4 pro bowlers on the offensive line.

Will Wilford, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, John Davis, House Ballard = 4 trips to the Super Bowl

things get easier when you have 10 seconds to throw or holes you can run a truck through.

John Davis deserved Pro Bowl honors as well. I doubt we'll ever a group like this again.

GO BILLS!!!

In today's NFL? What team has that level of talent on the OL this season?

Play at the LG positon was a difference maker. I am not saying Levitre is worth $8M for every team, but that really isn't the point. His most value was to the Bills right here and right now. The Bills have been paying about $20M per victory in payroll over the last decade so an argument certainly could be made that just one more win would have justified Levitre's contract. In a couple years, if his skills eroded it releasing him wouldn't be a hindrance. The salary cap will jump significantly in a couple years when the new TV money kicks in.

Lastly, for all the apologists.........I gotta say if the replacements for Levitre have been so bad is it fair to assume is that those defending the Levitre decision think that the "braintrust" of Nix/Whaley/Marrone are just complete idiots who accidentally got it right by not signing Levitre. :doh:

You can't possibly be serious about that statement. I'd say a few key fumbles, interceptions, and the continued inability to stop anyone from catching a pass downfield had everything to do with it...

The real problem is the Bills had no 'Plan B' here and the value of Levitre is relative to the alternatives the team has available. Which given what we've seen from the play at the LG position all season was nothing much. Maybe he wasn't worth $8 Mil per season but facing the alternative of a substandard offensive line (with a rookie QB) it might have made sense in that situation. Especially when you have no cap issues to contend with.

If you've got another player ready that will give you the same or close to the same level of play then making the decision solely based on money might make sense. Look at the Steelers for example. They've let players walk (LB, WR etc.) during the course of time because they had other players on the bench being groomed that could fill the spot. The mistake the Bills have consistently made is not re-signing players at a position where they have no viable back up on the roster and then they fail to acquire legitimate alternatives. Letting players go based on a proven system of roster and cap management is one thing but letting them go and having it result in your team being weaker or creating a hole is a good way to 'run in place' forever.

Let's see if this Brandon/Whaley/Marrone team approaches this differently or not.

At the time I thought over paying Levitre was a bad idea, but in retrospect the lack of plan B is alarming. The Bills had to know they were drafting a QB and that the rookie QB would be starting at some point. Having a good o line that had played together was key. They should have paid Levitre. The protection has not been great and the run blocking has been bad. Manuel, as with all QBs, is much better with a running game.

The line now needs a LG and a RT. I hope they can address at least one of these in free agency. What happened with Hairiston? It was a non football injury. Is he done?

At the time I thought over paying Levitre was a bad idea, but in retrospect the lack of plan B is alarming. The Bills had to know they were drafting a QB and that the rookie QB would be starting at some point. Having a good o line that had played together was key. They should have paid Levitre. The protection has not been great and the run blocking has been bad. Manuel, as with all QBs, is much better with a running game.

The line now needs a LG and a RT. I hope they can address at least one of these in free agency. What happened with Hairiston? It was a non football injury. Is he done?

I'm hoping Hairston comes back as well. He showed promise and would be an immediate upgrade over Pears at RT. Pears is having an abysmal season. I think Gailey's scheme didn't expose him as much.

GO BILLS!!!

They actually raved about how fitz came in and brought the team back... all I saw were the crippling interceptions...

Well, that is Fitz...a gambler who will dazzle you, but more often than not, will come up short... I like the guy a lot, and he is easy to root for, but he will break your heart at every turn... that int in OT last week was just brutal...and "so Fitzy!" Would still love him as a backup...I will say, after watching Trent Edwards for a few years, and now EJ, and their tentative, overly catious ways, Fitz willingness to chuck it up is kind of refreshing.

Edited by Buftex

Well, that is Fitz...a gambler who will dazzle you, but more often than not, will come up short... I like the guy a lot, and he is easy to root for, but he will break your heart at every turn... that int in OT last week was just brutal...and "so Fitzy!" Would still love him as a backup...I will say, after watching Trent Edwards for a few years, and now EJ, and their tentative, overly catious ways, Fitz willingness to chuck it up is kind of refreshing.

Last year's offense with this year's defense. Think about it, Bills fans. Now think about how quick we are to bash EJ. Notice a pattern?

Fitz would have been the perfect backup/ mentor to EJ. I laughed at those trying to say Kolb was an upgrade over Fitz. fitz gets every ounce out of physical ability he has out.

Chris Johnson is averaging 3.7 ypc. He averaged 4.5 last year. Good thing the Titans paid Levitre big money and drafted a G in the top 10. Guards don't win games.

Can you go one post without citing stats to defend your opinion? It's more nuanced than numbers.

Fitz would have been the perfect backup/ mentor to EJ. I laughed at those trying to say Kolb was an upgrade over Fitz. fitz gets every ounce out of physical ability he has out.

we have the perfect backup now, his name is EJ.....now go get a Franchise QB with 5 all pro lineman.....RB's & WR's are dime a dozen. other than QB, stop investing in guys who weigh under 290.

we have the perfect backup now, his name is EJ.....now go get a Franchise QB with 5 all pro lineman.....RB's & WR's are dime a dozen. other than QB, stop investing in guys who weigh under 290.

Easy as pie...I mean, look at how many teams have done it in the last 20 years!

There's no possible way that this is a serious post.

Easy as pie...I mean, look at how many teams have done it in the last 20 years!

There's no possible way that this is a serious post.

oh i am serious........you start by drafting LT Jake Mathews or LT Taylor Lewan......assuming a QB is not worthy at our pick (around 10th). put that rookie at RT and move Pears to LG.