Is Brad Smith still on the team?

Wattdogg35

We could use all the help we can get on offense right now. I'd even venture a short while with Smith at OG. The guy is not an all star at one position but average at several. He can hang in with the first team units and pull off some great catches, too.

If anyone on IR could come back I might take him over Kolb.

We could use all the help we can get on offense right now. I'd even venture a short while with Smith at OG. The guy is not an all star at one position but average at several. He can hang in with the first team units and pull off some great catches, too.

If anyone on IR could come back I might take him over Kolb.

I believe you have to designate the "player able to return" at the time you make the IR designation. You can't just look at your IR list and say "let's bring back this one". Not 100% on this, though.

I believe you have to designate the "player able to return" at the time you make the IR designation. You can't just look at your IR list and say "let's bring back this one". Not 100% on this, though.

He's aware of that I think. He's just smelling the lavender and wishing upon a star.

When practically every other receiver went down a couple years ago, he was out there catching passes. He was always prepared and always willing to do whatever he was asked to do. He was a heck of a lot more than just a wildcat guy.

When practically every other receiver went down a couple years ago, he was out there catching passes. He was always prepared and always willing to do whatever he was asked to do. He was a heck of a lot more than just a wildcat guy.

I made the wildcat reference earlier in the thread. That's what he did as a QB.

I think Smith was a decent 3rd-4th WR, an asset on special teams, and seemed to be a good veteran presence. He might be worth a roster spot based on the specific competition and salary pressure. This year I preferred the young guys over him.

All that said, there's no way he should be our starting QB from what I've seen. I'd much rather play Thad. I'd even rather give Tuel another shot if Thad goes down. I think Smith only qualifies as an emergency QB for a part of a game.

I think Smith was a decent 3rd-4th WR, an asset on special teams, and seemed to be a good veteran presence. He might be worth a roster spot based on the specific competition and salary pressure. This year I preferred the young guys over him.

All that said, there's no way he should be our starting QB from what I've seen. I'd much rather play Thad. I'd even rather give Tuel another shot if Thad goes down. I think Smith only qualifies as an emergency QB for a part of a game.

Totally agreed on 100% of your points.

smith was never a legit qb option but i think many neglect simply the vet presence on the field, in practice, meetings, etc....

say the qbs and wrs sit down with hackett - at the start of the season it wouldve been:

Hackett: 0 games NFL OC experience

EJ: 0 games NFL experience

Tuel: 0 games NFL experience

Goodwin: 0 games NFL experience

woods: 0 games NFL experience

TJ: 15 games NFL experience

Hogan: 0 games NFL experience

Easley: 3 games NFL experience

Stevie: 64 games nfl experience

granted some of those guys have hung around teams on practice squads, injured, or inactive.... but thats a really young group from the coach all the way through the players. something to keep in mind when discussing the route trees or reads being kept very simple so far.

Edited by NoSaint