2014 Season to feature 3 games in London

Big C

They are having games over there so that they can feel better about calling the Superbowl winners "World Champions".

Every time I hear some football commentator say "World Champions" I lose respect for them. It is stupid and arrogant when every single team is based here in the states.

I know why they do it. They do it because they want to export the NFL brand to the world and to sell NFL products and to build the Superbowl into an even bigger spectacle than it already is.

It is good business from a purely business perspective.

Personally, I think it is (edited) wrong It makes me want to throw beer cans at people.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the NFL belongs in America, but I like the concept of trying to make Football international. Soccer is boring, rugby is a joke, and cricket...well...

Who knows, maybe if it gets popular enough over there they can have not just their own team, but their own division. It would make less traveling back and forth.

As far as next year's games go...WTF why are they giving London a peek at our worst teams? Jags and Raiders? Really? You've gotta give them a game that's actually fun to watch.

The way to make football international is to bring back NFL Europe. That seemed to be a pretty nice developmental league, which gave some players a chance to develop into NFLers (e.g., Brian Moorman).

until they figure out that whole teleporting thing, i think the travel to and from is too much to have a team there

It's only a little bit further for east coast teams to go to London than it is for them to go to the west coast. I think with a bit of schedule tweaking it could work just fine.

We play at Oakland (and at Jax if we each finish 4th). I would love to make the trip to London for a road game. In addition, it would take away a little sting if the Bills play 7 home games (plus Toronto) and 7 road games (plus London).

I would loathe that. Since I live in the Bay Area and it's the one game I can make it too next year.

We play at Oakland (and at Jax if we each finish 4th). I would love to make the trip to London for a road game. In addition, it would take away a little sting if the Bills play 7 home games (plus Toronto) and 7 road games (plus London).

I would loathe that. Since I live in the Bay Area and it's the one game I can make it too next year.

The host team tends to chose non-conference opponents (7 of 9) times. So it's not likely that Oakland or Jacksonville would choose to face Buffalo in London.

The host team tends to chose non-conference opponents (7 of 9) times. So it's not likely that Oakland or Jacksonville would choose to face Buffalo in London.

This is true. I'm sure the odds are against.

Still, I'll wait for the official announcement.

They are having games over there so that they can feel better about calling the Superbowl winners "World Champions".

Every time I hear some football commentator say "World Champions" I lose respect for them. It is stupid and arrogant when every single team is based here in the states.

I know why they do it. They do it because they want to export the NFL brand to the world and to sell NFL products and to build the Superbowl into an even bigger spectacle than it already is.

It is good business from a purely business perspective.

Personally, I think it is gay. It makes me want to throw beer cans at people.

I agree Dave except that I'd rather drink the beer than throw them at people. The term World Champions shouldn't be used because it's not applicable. The phrasing North American Champions would be more appropriate. But then Canada would need a few full time teams to make this a sure thing.

If Amerigo Vespucci / Americus Vespucius were alive today he would have a thing or two to say about this matter. But then again he might not care about sports or the naming of continents.

Is there a sport practically exclusive to one other country that is considered a world sport? I suppose World Series could be brought up for debate too.

United States Football is pretty much half a North American sport. World sport? Not yet, but someday perhaps.

Edited by Pilsner

The home team also picks teams that are lesser draws. If you have noticed the teams that end up with the London games are the ones that have attendance problems. It may make more sense for someone like Jacksonville to send the Bills game over there then say a home game against someone like Dallas or Washington (not sure what NFC division they play).

I just read the ESPN article that the NFL has expanded to 3 games in London with Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Oakland each playing a home game there. We are scheduled to play Oakland as an away game, and currently we are on pace to play Jacksonville away as we'll.

2014 season

The Toronto game is considered a home game.

Maybe a team playing two games internationally in one season could be some sort of international test for the eventual London franchise.

The Jags should just lease the jet for one way travel next season... :lol:

Edited by judman

I just read the ESPN article that the NFL has expanded to 3 games in London with Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Oakland each playing a home game there. We are scheduled to play Oakland as an away game, and currently we are on pace to play Jacksonville away as we'll.

2014 season

that would be cool but I think the NFL should use a flex game strategy. England may not be aware of which teams are good but you know when you see a good product or not. The Jags and Raiders have been dismal for a while and surprisingly Atlanta is bad this year, whose to say they wont be next year, which is why a flex game would be ideal. Maybe not the best game of the year but a good one with teams with winning records.

unfortunately a Bills/Jags or Bills/Raiders game isn't exactly what the NFL will want to showcase in London. Ever perhaps.

I actually think thats the point as they will most likely sell out any game over there so why not take a Jags game vs the Bills that wouldnt sellout here and bring it over there for a sellout there

for the record though i am completely against these games