Is EJ's mild injury a blessing in disguise?

GG

I know that it's the fans' nature to expect immediate results from players, but the main knock on EJ coming in was that he perhaps was not ready to be an NFL quarterback, and that sitting and learning for a year would be a good move for his development. To me, there's no doubt Bills had that in mind with whichever QB they were going to draft, and I firmly believe their plan was to have Kolb start the year.

So I'm hoping that Kolb's injury doesn't derail EJ's progress and now I'm thinking that the mild knee sprain can work to his advantage for next year.

EJ has shown flashes, but to me there are still many aspects of the game that need coaching and observing outside game situations. I think this time off will give him the opportunity to slow things down and hopefully refocus on the fundamentals, instead of game day preparation. I don't think that he's had a chance to do that since he arrived. The preseason injury came at a bad time, because you could sense they were trying to rush him back into the line up with Kolb out. If Kolb was not hurt, there's no way that EJ starts the opener.

I think the pressure is off him for a couple of weeks. There should be no reason to rush EJ back into the line up now. If Lewis bombs, then the Bills would be out of playoff contention. If Lewis does well, then you can also ease EJ back on a slower schedule. I think over the long term, this mid-season break will work to EJ's favor.

Its a blessing for Lad Thewis, he gets atleast $22K this Sunday.

Its a blessing that the Bills maybe figure out a serious backup QB situation.

Its a blessing for EJ if he learns how to freaking Baseball slide, and really practice baseball sliding seriously.

Not so much a blessing for EJ's development imo.

I see the point you're trying to make, but its a bit of a stretch.

No. EJ will develop more quickly by playing. An unfortunate rookie mistake is now magnified by the FO's missteps. Nothing good can come of this. The sooner Manuel is back on the field the better. A polished product like an Andrew Luck only comes around every couple of decades. We didn't suck enough to get him. Most guys need to play to improve their game. EJ was doing fine before he got hurt.

Run the ball, play action passes and play defense. Always been a recipe for success in the NFL. No different now. That's what they need to do. And win turnover battle. then you win, regardless of who the QB is.

I'd agree with this if it were 2003. In 2013? Not so much. You need a decent QB in this league.

No. EJ will develop more quickly by playing. An unfortunate rookie mistake is now magnified by the FO's missteps. Nothing good can come of this. The sooner Manuel is back on the field the better. A polished product like an Andrew Luck only comes around every couple of decades. We didn't suck enough to get him. Most guys need to play to improve their game. EJ was doing fine before he got hurt.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? If a QB is not polished enough you're doing him a disservice by throwing him into action before he's totally ready and you magnify the possibility that his development will be ruined. No one wants to talk about the time that Rodgers spent on the bench, and there was a reason that he got picked well behind Alex Smith. Patience paid off very well for Packers. I know that Bills don't have the luxury of sitting EJ for a year. But keeping him off the field for 3-4 weeks during the regular season may actually be a good thing right now.

[quote name=G

G' timestamp=1381253825' post='2939199]

I know that it's the fans' nature to expect immediate results from players, but the main knock on EJ coming in was that he perhaps was not ready to be an NFL quarterback, and that sitting and learning for a year would be a good move for his development. To me, there's no doubt Bills had that in mind with whichever QB they were going to draft, and I firmly believe their plan was to have Kolb start the year.

So I'm hoping that Kolb's injury doesn't derail EJ's progress and now I'm thinking that the mild knee sprain can work to his advantage for next year.

EJ has shown flashes, but to me there are still many aspects of the game that need coaching and observing outside game situations. I think this time off will give him the opportunity to slow things down and hopefully refocus on the fundamentals, instead of game day preparation. I don't think that he's had a chance to do that since he arrived. The preseason injury came at a bad time, because you could sense they were trying to rush him back into the line up with Kolb out. If Kolb was not hurt, there's no way that EJ starts the opener.

I think the pressure is off him for a couple of weeks. There should be no reason to rush EJ back into the line up now. If Lewis bombs, then the Bills would be out of playoff contention. If Lewis does well, then you can also ease EJ back on a slower schedule. I think over the long term, this mid-season break will work to EJ's favor.

Interesting idea.

Where I see it as a blessing in disguise is his inability to realize the negative consequence of taking unneccesary hits only cost him ~4 games. He's supposed to be a smart guy. Smart guys learn lessons quickly. If he learned this one, it's probably worth it.

I'd agree with this if it were 2003. In 2013? Not so much. You need a decent QB in this league.

Yes, you need a decent QB. You need a running game, though not like in the past. Just enough to keep 'em honest. But you absolutely need the play action passes to hold the DB's, LB's. Not nearly enough of this from Hackett. What the heck is he setting up with all those 1st down runs? You need play action and 1st down passing in this league today.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? If a QB is not polished enough you're doing him a disservice by throwing him into action before he's totally ready and you magnify the possibility that his development will be ruined. No one wants to talk about the time that Rodgers spent on the bench, and there was a reason that he got picked well behind Alex Smith. Patience paid off very well for Packers. I know that Bills don't have the luxury of sitting EJ for a year. But keeping him off the field for 3-4 weeks during the regular season may actually be a good thing right now.

I'm not contradicting myself. I never said EJ wasn't polished enough to play. He may have been less polished than others, but guys play right away in the league today. having Favre might have had something to do with Rodgers sitting. How much "better" he got by watching is debatable.

EJ has shown flashes, but to me there are still many aspects of the game that need coaching and observing outside game situations. I think this time off will give him the opportunity to slow things down and hopefully refocus on the fundamentals, instead of game day preparation. I don't think that he's had a chance to do that since he arrived.

I think the pressure is off him for a couple of weeks. . . . I think over the long term, this mid-season break will work to EJ's favor.

EJ's main problem as a QB is FOOTWORK. And he cant work on it while Out with a leg injury.

That is what Geno has over EJ. If you go back and watch Geno last nite, you'll see great footwork in the pocket.

Ball up, and when his head/eyes move, his feet move. Hence, his whole body moves in ready-position to fire the ball accurately.

I dont know who is smarter, can learn an offense, can inspire a team, etc. But I had a nagging feeling last week (watching Both Geno and EJ), and confirmed it this week. We've all seen those NFL FILMS archives of Joe Montana in a teaching video coached by Walsh, stressing Footwork. And young Peyton Manning. And old Peyton, post-surgery, going back to his college coach who first, before anything else, worked on Peyton's footwork. Footwork is everything.

EJ is lazy with footwork. Does not consistently step into throws if there's pressure. Is too willing to leave the pocket. Almost never "climbs" the pocket to step up - he always steps out instead. Seldom fires "lasers" even though he has a big arm because he's not stepping into throws with both feet planted. He wants to do it all on "natural ability."

Sucks that EJ has a leg injury: he wont be able to work on crisp footwork while he's out. He needs to develop "muscle memory" that kicks in when he's making his reads and throws.

(and as you can see from my SIG, I wanted EJ in the worst way. I still do. But right now Geno is a better passer because of his Footwork).

Edited by maddenboy

I don't know that it's a blessing in disguise, but I do think what transpires for EJ the rest of this season has a great deal to do with how he approaches this time away from the games....will he treat it as an incredible opportunity to learn and become more mentally prepared, or will he simply drown in his own pool of self-pity and become frustrated....much about the mental aspect of the game for QBs is knowing the situtation and maximizing it's opportunities....let's see how EJ emerges (assuming he does) from this respite from game play....

EJ's main problem as a QB is FOOTWORK. And he cant work on it while Out with a leg injury.

That is what Geno has over EJ. If you go back and watch Geno last nite, you'll see great footwork in the pocket.

Ball up, and when his head/eyes move, his feet move. Hence, his whole body moves in ready-position to fire the ball accurately.

I dont know who is smarter, can learn an offense, can inspire a team, etc. But I had a nagging feeling last week (watching Both Geno and EJ), and confirmed it this week. We've all seen those NFL FILMS archives of Joe Montana in a teaching video coached by Walsh, stressing Footwork. And young Peyton Manning. And old Peyton, post-surgery, going back to his college coach who first, before anything else, worked on Peyton's footwork. Footwork is everything.

EJ is lazy with footwork. Does not consistently step into throws if there's pressure. Is too willing to leave the pocket. Almost never "climbs" the pocket to step up - he always steps out instead. Seldom fires "lasers" even though he has a big arm because he's not stepping into throws with both feet planted. He wants to do it all on "natural ability."

Sucks that EJ has a leg injury: he wont be able to work on crisp footwork while he's out. He needs to develop "muscle memory" that kicks in when he's making his reads and throws.

(and as you can see from my SIG, I wanted EJ in the worst way. I still do. But right now Geno is a better passer because of his Footwork).

I think he does need to develop his footwork, but I really think the advances in that department are going to be VERY incremental in-season, especially if he's favoring anything (and perhaps has been already) due to injury.

I expect it'll be a lot more crisp in season 2 after he's had some time to analyze it and work on it with a coach / trainer in the offseason.

Rookie burnout is a pretty real thing, and he's been working to get into this position without stopping, for a long time. I'll wager that this kid hasn't had a true break -- aside from healing from injury -- since the spring of 2012.

I agree with the topic, and was actually going to start this but for a different reason.

Most of us don't expect them to make the playoffs, let alone make a deep run.

But with a back-up QB, they may lose more games giving them possably a top 5-10 draft pick, while the rest of the team gets more experience.

Also gives coaches a year to evaluate the talent they have.

Edited by bonechiller

Run the ball, play action passes and play defense. Always been a recipe for success in the NFL. No different now. That's what they need to do. And win turnover battle. then you win, regardless of who the QB is.

this, this, this.

The big passing games are a thing of the now and possibly the future. But those things yiu just pointed out to has and will always work. A strong running game, teamed up with a strong defense will always make yiu a strong contender. The teams in the past that have followed this, even recently, have won. Look at the Steelers last few SBs, the Ravens (yeah, Flacco got very hot in the playoffs, but they're year was based on D and the run). Even the Pats of the early 2000s. They were anything but a good QB on those teams. They were good because of defense. They were good because Tommy Boy played not to lose. The Giants last few SuperBowls might have been more pass happy but they surely had strong running games and they definitely had dominant defenses.

More times than not, the better defense will win over the pass happy QB.

Actually, Manuel had outplayed Kolb in the preseason and would have been the starter even if Kolb didn't get concussed. Not having Manuel play is waisting another football season for Bills fans. We need evidence EJ can be the guy long term. The question is no where near to being answered.

Help EJ? Maybe. Help the Bills decide if EJ is a potentially Elite/Franchise QB or if they should go back to the well in round 1 of a strong QB draft? No.

To me, EJ playing 8-10 games this year is the worst case scenario for the Bills organization going forward. If he had just blown out his knee in preseason it would have been a much easier decision to take a chance on another prospect than EJ giving you just a few good and bad performances in s shortened season.

I wanted to see Manuel play a full season and see if he progresses and how he reacts to teams gameplanning for him. Specifically divisional opponents in their second meeting.

The last part is critical, because game footage allows opponents to identify weaknesses in an opposing player and attack them accordingly. We have seen intially successful starts for Bills QB's get turned into nightmares repeatedly.....ever since Bill Belichick showed teams that if you keep Doug Flutie in the pocket he can't beat you...effectively dooming his late blooming NFL career. JP Losman, Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick all had similarly encouraging beginnings turn to mush when opponents took away what they did well and forced them to play to their weaknesses that they had identified on film.

When EJ returns, there won't be much of a sample size for teams to game plan for......and thus even if he learned more from the sideline......which is highly debatable......the Bills organization(and us as fans) will not get a complete look at him to help make a decision going forward on their QB situation. Maybe EJ's long ball accuracy issues will sink him? Maybe he won't be able to read disguised defenses? Maybe he will be a guy who makes bad decisions late in games? We have seen these things sink previous Bills QB's and we had no idea they were issues until there was a good full season of film on those guys.