Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets offense is way more sophisticated than ours with multiple formations, personnel groupings,motion, misdirection, and high percentage pass plays that keep the defense off balance and guessing which increases their probability for success. It has more to do with the design of the offense then the QB.

Marrone had great success running for 300 yds against a POS wv defense. Unfortunately hacketts run up the middle plays with spiller dont cut it when wilfork is on the other side.

True WVs defense was crap. That doesn't mean Geno played well in those games or that the Syracuse D was loaded with NFL prospects. He didn't and they weren't.

Should they have taken Geno?

No. He'd probably do worse here with what he has to work with. EJ is better suited to Bills. Pretty similar talent wise. Just different personalities. I like our guy and so did sportscience. Pretty much a crapshoot after that. Not exactly a Manning vs Leaf thing and the Jets have 1 more win than Bills. We probably win last week if EJ finishes game. We also beat Ravens and Geno sucked vs Titans. Pretty even so far.

The Jets offense is way more sophisticated than ours with multiple formations, personnel groupings,motion, misdirection, and high percentage pass plays that keep the defense off balance and guessing which increases their probability for success. It has more to do with the design of the offense then the QB.

Bingo. Put EJ on the Jets. How would he look? This isn't like when there is a huge difference in QB ability, like say 2004 where we get JP and Steelers get Big Ben. That's an obvious talent difference there.

I just wish EJ could show some prowess on mid to deep passes. Geno hit on them tonight.

He has. You just choose to remember his worst game vs Jets. TD pass to SJ vs Pats was a thing of beauty. Nice ball to Woods vs ravens. Great sideline pass to Chandler (but SC didn't get both feet down). Great throw to Woods vs Ravens that was overturned because the DB made the ball move (Woods had control though)was an excellent throw. What's the common denominator? Good protection due to play action and allowing him to set his feet. Watch G Smith's throws and his good ones are when he can set his feet. The design allows it. They have a better OC that puts him in these situations more often. The deep balls he hit vs Bills were run 5 or six yards from the sideline to give GS plenty of room to drop the ball in. Great design that lets a rookie QB just air it out. Ours that you remember so well? Tight against the sideline requiring a perfect throw or probably an INT. EJ was too cautious. Watch the plays and see what goes into them. EJ throws a great ball. Our scheme is lacking, though. He could have better numbers with his talent.

Why even talk about it. What is done is done and no they should not have in my opinion

Because every game the Jets win means the Bills got the wrong guy, don't you know. I didn't want Smith then and still don't. Jets staff is doing a better job with him, though.

Geno beat EJ?

Yep week 3. A long time ago, I know. But I have an amazing memory.

He has more wins than EJ?

Yep, they're 3-2. We're 2-3. Plus that week 3 thing.

What, were they in some caged fight or something?

No but they did play in ancient times. Also known as week 3

Let's see how this plays out over the years.

We could. But...week 3? Seriously. Where were you week 3?

The Falcons are making Geno look great tonight. 17-7 Jest

The Falcons without that dominate running game have made several teams look great. At 1-4 they have forgotten what made them so good in running and let Matty ice manage the game.

Plus their defense is ranked 25th in yards allowed so far, and WR Roddy White has had injury problems all year. This is what can happen when your team is reduced to one good WR.

Geno did look good on that last drive by the Jets. Running the 2 min drill well enough to allow the winning field goal. Again, not much QB pressure and weak coverage by the Falcons #26 pass defense.

Lets face it, the Jets defense is far better and not suffering holdouts or the injuries the Bills have. They also don't have the very worst LG in the league on their team. Comparing EJ to Geno is lame at this point because of the disparity of talent between the two teams. Jets have the 5th ranked defense. 17th ranked offense passing, Bills 27th.

BTW, who was the NFL rookie of the week for week two & four? Answer, EJ & Kiko

Edited by FeartheLosing

Five games. That's all that's been played.

Vince Young was rookie of the year and made two Pro Bowls. How'd his career turn out?

Sam Bradford was rookie of the year yet has never really improved in the years since.

Yet we want to make a determination about who was the better draft pick after 5 games? Geno could very well end up being the better QB but who the hell knows after 5 f'in games?

Geno is better than EJ so far. That doesn't mean it'll continue, but I'd be pretty encouraged if I were a Jets fan right now.

Also, I grossly underrated the Jets coming into the season and even before the Atlanta game. Ryan is still a hell of a coach and they can flat-out defend, lack of Revis be damned.

Edited by Heisenberg

FOOTWORK.

That is what Geno has over EJ. If you go back and watch Geno last nite, you'll see great footwork in the pocket.

Ball up, and when his head/eyes move, his feet move. Hence, his whole body moves in ready-position to fire the ball accurately.

I dont know who is smarter, can learn an offense, can inspire a team, etc. But I had a nagging feeling last week (watching Both Geno and EJ), and confirmed it this week. We've all seen those NFL FILMS archives of Joe Montana in a teaching video coached by Walsh, stressing Footwork. And young Peyton Manning. And old Peyton, post-surgery, going back to his college coach who first, before anything else, worked on Peyton's footwork. Footwork is everything.

EJ is lazy with footwork. Does not consistently step into throws if there's pressure. Is too willing to leave the pocket. He wants to do it all on "natural ability." Sucks that EJ has a leg injury: he wont be able to work on crisp footwork while he's out.

(and as you can see from my SIG, I wanted EJ in the worst way. I still do. But right now Geno is a better passer because of his Footwork).

Edited by maddenboy

The Falcons are making Geno look great tonight. 17-7 Jest

Agreed. Falcons are delivering who they really are, a very soft team. So lets not get to high or low on how a rookie, unless its Randy Moss's rookie year. Geno had an awesome game so good for him.

The AFC East is becoming a very physical division again which is why the Falcons have lost three straight over last three weeks to our division. I like the Jets Defense and whether we like Rex or not (I do), he is a great coach. Did you all see him whooping it right back to the Falcons fans at the end of the first half? That was awesome.

Add to that the Falcons have been to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years which affects their draft position and the players available to draft, including trading a number of picks to grab Julio.

Like I said, lets not get to high or low on rookies, including our rookie. I do love it however how Rex and Marty M are letting Geno be Geno and that includes dealing with the mistakes he will make.