Punter Brian Moorman signed

Punch

The thing is, Moorman wasn't kicking the ball out of bounds or knocking them inside the 20 or 10 like he used to for a long, long time. I wasn't worried about booming 70 yarders at all. Moorman was shanking punts and not delivering when you needed him the same way Powell wasn't.

Got to agree with you on this one. The reason Moorman as cut because he was getting lousy in pinning the opponents inside their 20 or not shanking punts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

5m

In addition to working out QBs Pat White and Dennis Dixon, I hear exBills P Brian Moorman is in the building. Hmm, they just cut a punter...

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora1m

I think they might end up playing some Peaches and Herb while eating chicken wings at the Bills' facility today with Moorman

that's funny I was thinking the other day we should sign Moorman and then I checked my phone in the morning and lo and behold we signed him.

Now at QB I want Johny Football so when I check my phone next spring we will have drafted him :thumbsup:

Moorman played great

5 punts, 48.8 yard/ave, 2 inside the 20 and very good hang time.

I thought he played well too. But is it an unfair criticism to ask why he gave them the opportunity to make a return on the final punt? I know he was punting out of his end zone, and I know nothing about the finer points of punting.

He was given a nice welcome back when he came out early for warmups and even more so later, when introduced with the team. You could tell he really appreciated it, and fed off the crowd during the game . That punt to the one laid down the gauntlet to Kiko for "legend" status.

:worthy:

I thought he played well too. But is it an unfair criticism to ask why he gave them the opportunity to make a return on the final punt? I know he was punting out of his end zone, and I know nothing about the finer points of punting.

Turns out changing punters can't cover up the fact that the Bills can't cover a punt to save their life (or a game).

Turns out changing punters can't cover up the fact that the Bills can't cover a punt to save their life (or a game).

True, but Moorman had a better game yesterday than Powell had all year long. Plenty of hang time, directed towards the sideline and deep. Let's hope he can consistently do it.

Moorman played great

5 punts, 48.8 yard/ave, 2 inside the 20 and very good hang time.

I have turned into quite the Moorman homer, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

But I thought he was outstanding. And when the game was on the line in OT, he kicked the perfect punt--super hang time. Two coverage guys were right there to make the tackle for zero gain, and they both whiffed.

I also have to say it was like out of a movie that his first punt went out at the 1/2 yard line--how awesome was that?

I am not going to delude myself into thinking that we have Moorman version 2002-- but we have a great vet who is not going to choke every game and who gives us some nice stability at the position. Great to have him back.

• 2 weeks later...

Does one terrible punt in three make for a great game these days?

I'm talking about the booming 39 yarder from our 18. Can't call a game "great" when that constitutes 33% of your attempts, IMO.

I think that was intentional. They brought him here to do exactly that-- 40 yarder, high hang time, no return. With Sproles back there, you can't shoot for a few extra yards and risk a return.

I think that was intentional. They brought him here to do exactly that-- 40 yarder, high hang time, no return. With Sproles back there, you can't shoot for a few extra yards and risk a return.

So then his 54 yarder from our 24 was a mistake?

So was the 45 yarder from our 15?

Then he had one GOOD point among three?

So then his 54 yarder from our 24 was a mistake?

So was the 45 yarder from our 15?

Then he had one GOOD point among three?

I think the point I was trying to make was he has to kick it high. Hang time is the most important thing. That the punt travels 40, 45, or 54 yards is of less importance, so long as its high and can be covered well. I say that mission was accomplished on all 3 punts yesterday. I am pretty sure Moorman could do what Powell was doing all day, which was kicking 50-yard line drives with no hang time.

• 4 weeks later...

How much rope does Moorman have after the last couple of weeks? Should the Bills look at any other Punters during the bye week?

I think you know I have turned into quite a Moorman homer. But I thought his drop last game was inexcusable. I hope he bounces back, but my sense is that this is the final season we will see him in the NFL. Nice run.

Onto whether we sign another punter this season, I doubt it. While inconsistent, moorman's been adequate enough that it probably doesn't make sense to bring a new guy in.

I think you know I have turned into quite a Moorman homer. But I thought his drop last game was inexcusable. I hope he bounces back, but my sense is that this is the final season we will see him in the NFL. Nice run.

Onto whether we sign another punter this season, I doubt it. While inconsistent, moorman's been adequate enough that it probably doesn't make sense to bring a new guy in.

It's all about accountability not nostalgia these days right? Do the job or be gone. We can still be fond of him as an ex-Bill. BTW, he can take Crossman with him.