Not Tuel. Playcalling/Running Game (or lack thereof) in Q4

ChicagoRic

Blaming Tuel for this loss is just silly.

Yes, he is an undrafted rookie and yes he performed poorly, but too much was put on his shoulders.

Especially down 2 WRs, you'd expect the Bills would let Tuel manage the game and hand off to Spiller/Jackson/Choice.

Wrong.

The running game/playcalling in the 4th qtr was the game loser here.

Down by only 3 for much of the 4th qtr, and we had 3, yes 3, rushing attempts for a grand total of 5 yards. This is not how you win games when a backup QB is in.

Discuss.

It was Tuel and special teams that lost it in my opinion.

We were rolling good until the injury in the 2nd half.

Once Tuel came into the game they stacked the box and forced the Bills to throw more than run in the 4th.

Browns did the old "8 in the box" for most of the game, especially after Tuel came in. They played 8 guys up and dared them to throw. Also noticed the Browns safeties playing close to the line and sometimes stacking 2 on one side 5-7 yards from the line. Almost impossible to run against that. I saw one screen pass, maybe two. I saw a whole bunch of three & outs. Obvious they couldn't run and they couldn't pass, CJ & Fred are banged up, they were down to 3 WR's at one point, it was Tuel's first game. Our TE's are awful by the way. What can you do?

The Bills should have come into this game running the spread to attack all of that predictable 8 in the box garbage the Browns ran. They just kept running it into the teeth of their defense until it was a predictable 3rd and long, in which case the Browns just teed off. Hacket is calling the type of game that will get everybody hurt, including his own defense.

It was Tuel and special teams that lost it in my opinion.

We were rolling good until the injury in the 2nd half.

Once Tuel came into the game they stacked the box and forced the Bills to throw more than run in the 4th.

Exactly...

And no offense to the OP...But Tuel's an NFL QB now...If he could do what Weeden did the Bills win that game easy...And Weeden is not that good...He just has more experience...And probably a lot more talent...No question in my mind Tuel cost us the game...But it's not his fault...Hindsight is always 20/20...But it's looking like the Bills made a BIG mistake going with Tuel as the back-up...And Tavaris Jackson should have been in there tonight...Not Tuel...There are a lot of NFL back-up that could have won us this game tonight...Tuel was definitely not among them... B-)

Let me say this again. 3 rushing attempts in the whole 4th qtr vs 20 passing attempts. Stacking the box or not, this is just silly.

The Browns are a good run Defense normally...With Tuel in there it just made things easier for them...No way were they going to let the Bills run the ball...The Bills could have tried more and they would have failed...Sure the play calling could have been better...The screen to Freddie worked pretty well...But Tuel has to make those short throws that were there to keep the chains moving and he was WAY off...I don't question the run/pass ratio much...If you're the Browns who are you worried about?...Jackson/Spiller, or a back-up, undrafted rookie QB who looks like a deer in the headlights and can't hit the broad side of a barn?...It's not the 1st half of the game...The Bills needed to move the ball a long way to score...The Browns only had to neutralize Freddie and CJ and it was game, set, match...Tuel was going to have to beat them...And there is no way he's up to that yet... B-)

I disagree. We had every chance in the world to win this game. Tule looked flustered and repeatedly threw the ball at his receivers feet. We were likely to win if EJ was in the game. Tule never gave us a chance.

Yep. Tuel is crap.

Yes, he is an undrafted rookie and yes he performed poorly, but too much was put on his shoulders.

Especially down 2 WRs, you'd expect the Bills would let Tuel manage the game and hand off to Spiller/Jackson/Choice.

Wrong.

Down by only 3 for much of the 4th qtr, and we had 3, yes 3, rushing attempts for a grand total of 5 yards. This is not how you win games when a backup QB is in.

Discuss.

Sorry, somehow I double posted.

Dude, this is too foolish to write out a proper response to.

Wrong.

Discuss.

Wrong. Coach Marrone preaches that every one *must* prepare every week to play as a starter as they never know when their number will be called. Tuel failed, because he was unprepared.

Wrong. Coach Marrone preaches that every one *must* prepare every week to play as a starter as they never know when their number will be called. Tuel failed, because he was unprepared.

You can't prepare an UDFA QB who wasn't even good in college and wasn't all that good in preseason for a nationally televised game in week five.

Wrong.

Discuss.

They ran the ball like crazy. Tuel was something like 1 for 7 at one point for 6 yards. We ran for 3 straight series because he couldn't throw the ball near a receiver. I am not sure what you are talking about. It was this stretch of play calling that made the most sense.

If we want to complain about play calling, lets start talking about why EJ was rarely behind center this week, or why we play zero press coverage? Those are the head scratchers.

I think it is safe to say at this point we could cut Tuel and sneak him onto the practice squad where he belongs.

You can't prepare an UDFA QB who wasn't even good in college and wasn't all that good in preseason for a nationally televised game in week five.

If that is the case (which I find it hard to believe), then the blame lies on Marrone for not having an effective back up if Tuel would be unprepared. Either way the blame lies on Marrone and Hackett, because they either did not find a good backup or did not prepare Tuel to be able to step in if EJ went out with an injury. This game was winnable, if we had a decent QB playing in the 4th Qtr.

They ran the ball like crazy. Tuel was something like 1 for 7 at one point for 6 yards. We ran for 3 straight series because he couldn't throw the ball near a receiver. I am not sure what you are talking about. It was this stretch of play calling that made the most sense.

If we want to complain about play calling, lets start talking about why EJ was rarely behind center this week, or why we play zero press coverage? Those are the head scratchers.

I think it is safe to say at this point we could cut Tuel and sneak him onto the practice squad where he belongs.

this... I just don't know why this coaching staff went away from something that was working well last week.

Can't disagree more. They protected Tuel as much as they possibly could with the play calls except, perhaps, that flea flicker. Bottom line is Tuel simply wasn't up to the task. The game was too big for him. And he showed why he wasn't drafted at all.

That said, I don't pin this loss on Tuel, he just didn't win it for us. The game was lost on special teams which gave up direct scores and allowed Norv Turner to operate on short field all night long. Weeden only led one long scoring drive; the one in the second quarter. Other than that, they didn't have to work hard for much of anything. Gotta give credit to Weeden for some money throws, though.

That said, I think we win this game going away if EJ doesn't get hurt. He was starting to feel it in the 3rd quarter.

GO BILLS!!!