Our Depth, or Lack of is a Real Issue

If we are truly trying to compete then somehow this team has got to find , now or in near future depth on the OL and also defensive backfield. To be 20 million or so under the cap and not have a vetereran CB or OL to bring in for a few games due to injuries is a sin. We could also use a veteran QB off the bench as well. If we truly are going to compete in this injury prone league this is a necessity for us to be taken seriously. Time for The front office to step up as we have a good young upcoming team but no depth. Just look at our backups at C, G and T on the offensive line. Too risky unless we don't want to compete with real teams.

I'd say every team in the league would be struggling with depth in the defensive backfield if they had 4 CBs and 1 safety injured.

And please feel free to list those free agent DBs that would help this team win right now. I'll wait.

Edited by Bangarang

OL, yes. Honestly after today I'm not worried about our DB depth. We are down our top 4 DBs. How often does that happen? All 4 at one time. AW played well at corner, Rogers is a liability but after 3 corners go down, what can you expect? And has Robey made a bad play yet? I mean, it can never hurt to bolster your DB depth, but I feel like once we get our guys back, we will be very, very good.

The secret is every NFL team is thin right now. In today's league it is better to keep the rookies and non-tenured players then it is to keep the experienced vets. Carolina barely has a starting RB right now and no one to push their "starter." Their DL has two good players and nothing but scrubs. Their LB's are as Keuchly and no one. Their DB's are as good as our 3rd stringers or worse. They have Steve Smith and Armanti Edwards as starting WR's. Who's their TE? Their OL is average at best.

Across the league each team is like this.

Crezdon Butler made some plays for the Chargers today. I don't understand why they kept Rogers over him. But, the Bills depth in these areas has certainly surpassed expectations.

Rogers played pretty damn good today, in all honesty. He was able to bend and not break and not be taken advantage of in the game.

The secret is every NFL team is thin right now. In today's league it is better to keep the rookies and non-tenured players then it is to keep the experienced vets. Carolina barely has a starting RB right now and no one to push their "starter." Their DL has two good players and nothing but scrubs. Their LB's are as Keuchly and no one. Their DB's are as good as our 3rd stringers or worse. They have Steve Smith and Armanti Edwards as starting WR's. Who's their TE? Their OL is average at best.

Across the league each team is like this.

Rogers played pretty damn good today, in all honesty. He was able to bend and not break and not be taken advantage of in the game.

Their TE is Greg Olsen. Who is Armanti Edwards? Also, using Carolina is not a great example because they have not been great. But your general point is true. Do the Saints have any big names on that D? They have been surprisingly great this year.

Rogers was the man beat on both touchdowns, but no doubt he was better this week.

Their TE is Greg Olsen. Who is Armanti Edwards? Also, using Carolina is not a great example because they have not been great. But your general point is true. Do the Saints have any big names on that D? They have been surprisingly great this year.

Rogers was the man beat on both touchdowns, but no doubt he was better this week.

The Panthers are the perfect example. The team that built up through the draft, remember? Got the QB we dreamed of, too. They are a year ahead of us in their rebuild.

Want me to do another team? Detroit...

Their LB's are hit and miss. Their DB's are weak. The DL is all blue chippers and that's wonderful because their D is 18th in the league...behind #4 Cleveland. Yeah, Cleveland is #4 in total yardage. But, that's ok, because their DL helps them to...gulp #21 in the league in run defense? Yikes.

On offense, oh yeah... Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush...reads like your all star team on Madden. Don't worry about the rest of their starters, because you just push A and B real fast and you'll have a great game on the Lions O.

BTW, who is the backup QB should the starter get injured? I hope it doesn't happen, but EJ gets me worried when he takes off and doesn't exactly slide.

That's the most dangerous scenario and their backup is an undrafted rookie FA.

Jeff Tuel

Kolb is on IR. Brad Smith is on IR to be the E-QB.

Lets take a look at Atlanta.

Offense:

They have a good QB, one who is always on the cusp of breaking through. They have an OL that is weak, but they do have a good LG - or at least that is what I was told. Their skill positions, WR, TE and RB are stacked but it does not matter at all. I bet this team would kill to have a 2nd change of pace running back and the likes of our backup OL.

Defense is a joke in Atlanta. They can stop the run but can't stop the pass. Their LB's always over achieve. Their CB's always play up to talent. But at DL and throughout the defensive roster they have no backups to help rest starters.

Why choose tonight to start this thread? Our crappy backups played pretty well today, I think. Go Bills!

Agree, very weird timing on this thread. Three of your four starting DBs out, your fourth starting DB playing out of position, your right guard goes out, and you beat the Ravens anyway? You gotta be kidding me.

Hopkins is still on the active roster, yes.

Did Gragg get any playing time? I saw Smith a lot. Chandler did a few things, too. But, Gragg?

I only saw Gragg in on ST... He stood in front of my with this 'who crapped in the pinch bowl' look on his face most of the game... Maybe it was the plumbing issue...

Guess what? Years of lousy drafting will put a team in a position like this. They seem to have snapped out of it a bit recently, but it's still gonna take time to turn the ship around.

The secret in the NFL is still: RUN the football and STOP the Run...And you will win most of the time!! And that is exactly what we did today.

The secret in the NFL is still: RUN the football and STOP the Run...And you will win most of the time!! And that is exactly what we did today.

Even worse is that some making this point then use Carolina as the example but excuse me did we not beat them a couple of weeks ago? They can argue vainly but fruitlessly when it comes to reality that yes the Bills were at home and yes it was by a point with last minute heroics but the fact is that Carolina is no no brainer example of building a better team than the Bills. In fact I prefer the bills over the Carolina approach and choices as bad as some of our choices demonstrably were.