What is your favorite Bills memory

In the 60's the Bills held summer practice at the old Camelot Hotel in Blasdell. When our summer baseball league practice would get rained out, our coach would run us by the hotel to see if we could see some of the practice or get autographs. One particular rain out, it even rained out their practice. As we were leaving, a very large man stepped out of the hotel and walked through the parking lot to his car. One of the kids in our group shouted to him, ",,,,,Hey, Are you a Buffalo Bill?" The very large man responded, "No, I am an Ex-Buffalo Bill.....My name is Tom Day." He signed autographs, talked football, baseball, and living a good life. May God bless his soul!!!

I've heard several such stories about Tom Day. Wish I had met him.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was the Monday night game where we beat Miami. My dad and I were at the game and we stormed the field, tore down the goal posts and cut up the field goal netting. I still have a piece of the turf and a piece of the net. Fans mobbed the players coming off the field. It was amazing!

Yes I believe it was two consecutive 36-yard gains and the first play that you mentioned was a more difficult play than the hail mary if I recall correctly.

I think the plays were both shown on Alcoa Fantastic Finishes that afternoon.

(One more comment on the 1981 Hail Mary... quoting not working for the moment, sorry eBall!)

Hooks did make a great catch to set up the Hail Mary. That game seemed over when they failed on downs late in the fourth, but then used their timeouts to get the bacll back with 35 seconds to play.... I still get chills.

Itunes has the "NFL game of the week" video on that game available, if you want to check it out.

This is my first post, been a lurker for a year or so now but finally gathered the courage to post. I am in college so I don't have too many playoff memories of the Bills. But here are mine:

My first real memory of a Bills game was in 2001 a December game against the Dolphins. Ricky Williams ran crazy for like 200+ yards and it was a blizzard for most of the game. Bledsoe had a long TD pass to Peerless Price and the place went nuts.

Also, first game we had TO was pretty good. We beat down the Bucs, who started Leftwich, and TO caught a bomb late in the forth from Trent. Thought maybe we had something going that year...

GO BILLS!

This is my first post, been a lurker for a year or so now but finally gathered the courage to post. I am in college so I don't have too many playoff memories of the Bills. But here are mine:

My first real memory of a Bills game was in 2001 a December game against the Dolphins. Ricky Williams ran crazy for like 200+ yards and it was a blizzard for most of the game. Bledsoe had a long TD pass to Peerless Price and the place went nuts.

Also, first game we had TO was pretty good. We beat down the Bucs, who started Leftwich, and TO caught a bomb late in the forth from Trent. Thought maybe we had something going that year...

GO BILLS!

Your last comment is wrong BTW, TO's first game was against the pats. I'll be keeping an eye on you troll.

So many that I agree with. Here's one that probably slips under most radars: the 44-34 victory over the Fish that put us in the AFC championship against the Raiders - in other words, the game the week before 51-3.

I remember that one because Kelly was coming back from an injury and cornerback Tim McKyer, who had taunted the Bills two weeks before during their last regular-season meeting with "the Bills without Jim Kelly are like a hand without a thumb" -- only to get a beating from Frank Reich -- shot his stupid mouth off again. "I challenge Jim Kelly to throw my way," McKyer said. The first time the Bills got the ball, Kelly & Co. marched right down the field and capped it with a TD pass to James Lofton....over McKyer.

Just loved beating the Fish back then because they always, always yapped, and almost never could back it up. Like Steve Tasker said after one such game, "Don't write a check with your mouth that your body can't cash."

GO BILLS!

JP, welcome to the board. Hopefully this year you'll have better games to remember than just those. Lets hope.

GO BILLS!

Probably the last time that happened.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Mike Stratton breaking the ribs of Keith Lincoln with a hit in the AFL title game :)

I was at the Jacksonville game sitting in the end zone where Flutie ran the ball in. The place was going insane. I was wearing a Flutie jersey that game and you would of thought I scored the touchdown. That was a memory I will never forget.

I was at that game as well. it is was great memory of a team that was not worth remembering a lot about.

I would have to say mine would be when the Bills beat Montana and the Chiefs in the AFC Championship.

One of the coldest games I remember but it was worth it!

CBF

It wasn't that cold that day. It was like 40 degrees.

So many from which to choose, but one that really stands out is 1981, Roland Hooks catches a Big Ben TD on the last play of the game against the Pats. Listening on the radio at home (blackouts were the rule, not the exception back then, kids) with my Dad... Van Miller says... "Ferguson, back to pass... sets up... throws for the end zone.... and it's [eternal pause]... CAUGHT FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!

Four words that make a chilly Sunday afternoon in November magical.

One of the SI yearbooks had great games of the Bills & they had this game. What was even more impressive then the hail mary was the catch the RB made the play before to even put them in position for hailmary. Full lunge out dive around the 50. I believe it was Roosevelt Leaks who caught it. Miller after that catch when fergy is lining up for the last play says "so where there is hope there is life" I don't know what the hell that meant but it sounded pretty cool coming from Van's mouth. Also when they got the TD there did not look like there were too many people in the stands but as he caught the td pass this security guard riases his arms & does this kind of leg kick. It looked kind of cool.

51-3 because it almost erased every horrible memory I had growing up a BILLS' fan. You know, going Oh-fer-the-70s against the Fish, Kay Stephenson, Bruce Mathis, Vince Ferragamo, etc. I'll never forget being up 41-3 at halftime of the AFC Championship game knowing that even the BILLS couldn't blow that lead.

If they'd just hammered the Giants in the SB like they should have.

So many!

The one that stands out is the 1990 Raiders game. The 1st half seemed like a dream. I remember walking the hallway in the upper deck just repeating out loud "My God!!! We're going to the Super Bowl!!" The lots after were the most amazing, joyous party. Then listening to the NFC Championship around the fire in Drive 5 knocking back more beers. Hitting a few bars after and the cheers that erupted when anyone came in wearing Bills gear. Winding down w/ a nightcap at the local where the bartender bought multiple rounds of shots to toast the AFC Champs. Sleeping for 11 hours then grabbing the BN to make sure I didn't dream it. Amazing day/night lol.

I have to mention the 2007 Monday Night game against Dallas, even though the ending was horrific. It was a gorgeous October night in WNY and the electricity in the stadium was palpable. I have never heard noise like that at any stadium and it lasted the entire game. And of course the game was just jam-packed with huge plays--two pick sixes, a kick off return for touchdown, etc. Easily the most memorable sporting event I have ever attended. I believe that was the last Monday Night game at the Ralph, and it is a bloody shame that there have not been more.

GO BILLS!

That was a very fun game. I was in the Jim Kelly boxes for that one and my ass was still cold.

My favorite has to be when Drayton Florence picked of Brady and gave the Bills the lead a few years ago. I have never heard the stadium so loud. I hugged about 30 people I didnt know