McKelvin Island?

Dr. K

Weird how a better coach can bring the best out in a player, huh? Haha. That's what pisses me off about people--they write guys off without understanding how important scheme and coaching is on a player's development, and production in general. Someone sucking or playing good on one team or with one set of coaches doesn't at all mean it'll be the same result with another

McKelvin was playing better at end of last year too so its not just the system or new coaching staff

Edited by Max997

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so is it a better position coach ? I mean he was always "there" on coverage but could not knock the ball away now he does with the off arm- has played great. I'm impressed with the pressure without Byrd and Gilmour would have to think things could get fun when they return. Kudos to the defense they won the game today.

Leodis came out of college born to play press man. Unfortunately none of the defensive coordinators seemed to understand this until Pettine came to town. His weakness is playing defense in space. Problem solved with a competent DC.

Great post, this is absolutely correct. To me, this was the most frustrating thing about the guy. He is finally being put in a position to succeed.

I want to be pessimistic, but he has looked very good. I think better than we have ever seen him play before, which is stunning to me. I'm currently licking my chops at the thought of seeing a backfield of him with a healthy Gilmore, and AW and Byrd in at safety.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I want to be pessimistic, but he has looked very good. I think better than we have ever seen him play before, which is stunning to me. I'm currently licking my chops at the thought of seeing a backfield of him with a healthy Gilmore, and AW and Byrd in at safety.

Why? :D

Fantastic performance today. I was singing his praises (and the secondary in general after week one), but today he wasn't just solid... he was shut down status. Great plays on the ball and at really big points of the game too. W2G Leo... now if we could get a little punt return for a TD, that would be really nice!!

BTW why did they have Woods back deep on that one return instead?

I think he will. his body language is oozing with confidence. he has turned the corner.

I noticed the good body language from McKelvin as well. For some players, confidence is the biggest factor, and he seems to be one of those guys. If he keeps it up, we suddenly have a very, very good corner duo when Gilmore comes back in a few weeks. Pettine's already doing a great job, and this would make his job much easier. Very encouraging for #21.

I know it's premature, after just two games, but could Leodis finally be living up to expectations?

I noticed the same thing, it's like who is that guy, it's Leodis, how did that happen?

Pettine must be the CB whisperer.

Leodis has never been as bad as some make him out to be.

He is a suberb athelete, without an inept pass rush a lot of cornerbacks struggle........now theres a pass rush and all of a sudden Leo is making plays.

in the past he has bitten badly on the first fake step and let big receptions happen while seemingly in perfect position. Maybe they pointed out some simple technique changes that he didn't know before.

I don't know if I ever posted it here, but I've been telling anyone who would listen that McKelvin was going to have a good year. Some players just take a little longer to develop and he always had the skill. Happy for the guy.

It doesnt matter who we have had at CB...We haven't been able to create a consistent pass rush for years. CB is one of the largest learning curve positions on the defensive side of the ball, Leodis coming from a small school his learning curve most likely is little higher that and the fact that he is not awful bright to begin with. He has shown flashes great athleticism and effort in the past, with a very poor supporting cast around him. Its got to be tough to be drafted by a team like the Bills where there has been so little talent that are rookies are needed to play at a high level immediately for us to have success. Im very happy he is finding his niche finally, while not always successful he has given 100% every time he has suited up for Bills. :thumbsup:

I was always a little higher on Leodis than most, even though I acknowledged his terrible ball awareness. But the second half of last year, and the first two games, he has been excellent. No CBs have all great games. But Leodis has been very good. Very smart signing by The Bills front office, IMO.

Yet at the time, this board was slimy with caustic criticism of the FO and Buddy in particular.

Oh, how winning does changes folk's minds.