CJ Spiller......official count up to 2,000 rushing yards thread

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills/Titans part of this thread stemmed from a poster essentially saying that CJ's bad production was due to Levitre leaving. You are attacking a poster who disagreed with this concept.

Even worse... he is attacking a poster (me) who agreed with someone disagreeing about that. His failed attempt at humor (the Chas Rhinegold joke which ran it's course months ago) drew a great response about ypa Bills vs. Titans that I agreed with. Somehow that made me his target :lol: .

As to the actual thread itself, I don't quite understand it. Is this thread so Badol can say look at me I was right in predicting someone wouldn't do something that only 6 people in the HISTORY of the NFL have done? Or is it because CJ shouldn't want to be that good and proclaim that as his goal? Is it to "prove" other posters wrong that he can't do it so Badol can say I told you so?

Please explain to me what your goal was in starting this thread because all I can come up with are db reasons for you to do so, and I'd really like to believe that isn't the case...

Can you please explain how he struggles with the mental part of the game? No one was saying that last year when he was torching defenses. I just dont get it, kid has one bad game and now all these alleged problems come up from you and other posters that have not been true.

Lets play fact or fiction with some of the gibberish claims:

1. CJ is a fumble risk: FIction - he has never had more than 2 in a season where Fred has doubled CJ's fumbles 3 times since CJ has been on the team.

2. CJ cant hit the hole: Fiction - He exploded through holes, up the middle too, all last year. HIs on field vision went to a different level last year.

3. He cant stay healthy and handle full time job: Fiction - He has never had a serious injury and missed very little time since being in Buffalo and missed no times as the featured back when Freddy went down AGAIN last year.

4. He cant get to 2000 yards: Fiction - If he would have had the same number of carries as AP last year, not only would he had gone over 2000 yards, but at his pace he would have broke the single season rushing record. Is he going to get to 2000 yards? Who knows, but to say he can't do it like so many peopls want to say after one game is absurd.

And very few people are even willing to take into considertion the immense family tragedy he is coming off of. Football players are human too, and to see so many dip sh*ts just wanting to pile on this guy and give him no respect for what he just went through is pathetic. As a fan base, they should be rallying around this guy, lifting his spirits, and letting him know we got his back and know he will be a major part of this team. But instead, all these irrational, emotionaly dramatic, drama queens we call fans wanna piss all over our best player on the offense, and one of the best on the team because he struggled one game after a huge tragedy in his life where he missed time with offense leading up to the game.

Cant wait to watch the pathetic flip flopping by so many ridiculous posters when he has a big week.

Re not hitting the hole, I think Badol is referring to this: http://www.wgr550.co...-drive/17263530 .

Spiller clearly had a poor game, as he admitted in the Mark Gaughan piece today. Whether it's a one-time only thing or a trend is to be determined. As I mentioned above, he actually blew up before last season -- in the final quarter of 2011, to be precise. That 18 game stretch is remarkable. But before that, he struggled. My understanding is that things had to be kept very simple for him at Clemson. He apparently doesn't have a license in rocket surgery ( http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/10487/spillers-low-wonderlic-score-no-cause-for-concern ), but that's hardly a disqualifier given his position. He simply has to take what's given every play and wait for the big plays to come (and they will).

Edited by dave mcbride

At same point, and I'm just making a point here, someone like yourself was calling Spiller a bust after 1 season. It goes both ways. The 49ers, maybe the best organization in the NFL, drafted a 1st round wr who never had a catch and traded him for another bust. Mistakes happen.

I would like to clarify my stance.....I said that IN MY OPINION Spiller was a bad selection before he played one down for the Bills. He turned out to be a good player, but as you said earlier, the team continues to lose. So was he a good selection at #9? I will leave this up to you and others to decide. And maybe we all will be glad that we selected him so early at some point. Count me in when he wins us some football games.

Like I said, he now owes us one for 2013.

Please explain to me what your goal was in starting this thread because all I can come up with are db reasons for you to do so, and I'd really like to believe that isn't the case...

He did, back one page in very this thread...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161427-cj-spillerofficial-count-up-to-2000-rushing-yards-thread/page__st__20#entry2905666

Here's a thought for any of you that don't like his opinion, or want a better explanation. When you're at a game, go over to Hammers Lot and meet Badol in person. He's a very nice guy, welcoming to anyone that comes by his tailgate. His tailgate was always a meeting spot for TBD members before the Bills made all the changes to Lot 1 with Disney parking, etc, and his crew plus the Pinto crew moved over to Hammers. A lot of members here, once you meet them in person, you'll have a different view of them than you get over the internet.

http://forums.twobil...20#entry2905666

Here's a thought for any of you that don't like his opinion, or want a better explanation. When you're at a game, go over to Hammers Lot and meet Badol in person. He's a very nice guy, welcoming to anyone that comes by his tailgate. His tailgate was always a meeting spot for TBD members before the Bills made all the changes to Lot 1 with Disney parking, etc, and his crew plus the Pinto crew moved over to Hammers. A lot of members here, once you meet them in person, you'll have a different view of them than you get over the internet.

I somehow missed that and that is what I was hoping for. With so many posters having good things to say about him I figured (more hoped) that I was wrong but the doom and gloom this week on this board/in this thread has gotten to me.

Let me personally apologize to Badol and say I hope CJ proves you wrong on both counts!

Edited by section122

Give it time, it will grow on you.

I'm from Australia. I already use the metric system.......but it would be just wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. 91.44 metre long grounds....ugg.

If the US were to ever go metric(and they should because it is soooo much better), the NFL should ignore it and stay imperial.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/161427-cj-spillerofficial-count-up-to-2000-rushing-yards-thread/page__st__20#entry2905666

Good post and true on all accounts.

This thread is both about optimism and reality. I am all for seeing CJ Spiller rush for 2,000 yards and go to the Hall of Fame one day. It is an opportunity for a countup to a great year.

Do I personally think it will happen? No. I've detailed the reasons why and they are just things that always manifest themselves with CJ in his 7 years at Clemson and in the pros. One that popped up this week is his lack of smarts. Does that make him a bad guy? Of course not. But he continues to struggle with the mental aspect of the game and that costs him not only yardage, but opportunities. Beyond the fact that he admitted that he wasn't following his blockers......which is kind of ridiculous for a 4th year NFL RB......he was also being pulled for pass protection reasons. Not smart enough equals less yards and less touches. I don't care if you average 6 ypc, you still need 21 carries per game to get to 2,000 at that rate. The Bills ran the ball A LOT last Sunday, but CJ only got 17 carries.

Additionally, there is the issue of a change in offensive philosophy. With the Bills changing from an offense that speads a defense horizontally out to an offense that attempts to stretch vertically......the lanes are going to be tighter. There are still opportunities, but they might not come as easy and it might require the synapses to fire just a bit faster.

This is all very reasonable.

I don't see anything wrong with suggesting that CJ won't hit 2,000. I'd actually rather see CJ get more short passes in space, vs running the ball 20-25 times a game. He needs space to work with, it's obvious he doesn't do great with running lanes in the middle.

I somehow missed that and that is what I was hoping for. With so many posters having good things to say about him I figured (more hoped) that I was wrong but the doom and gloom this week on this board/in this thread has gotten to me.

Let me personally apologize to Badol and say I hope CJ proves you wrong on both counts!

Not that you are supposed to care what I think, but this Sir, was one very cool post.

And Jack is right. The man forgot more than most fans will ever learn about football, and is a gentleman. I tailgated with him at least 10 times and personally vouch for him.

Not that you are supposed to care what I think, but this Sir, was one very cool post.

And Jack is right. The man forgot more than most fans will ever learn about football, and is a gentleman. I tailgated with him at least 10 times and personally vouch for him.

I've been a jerk enough times in my life to realize when I need to apologize and accept it :bag::thumbsup:

but thank you for the kind words! :beer:

This thread is both about optimism and reality. I am all for seeing CJ Spiller rush for 2,000 yards and go to the Hall of Fame one day. It is an opportunity for a countup to a great year.

Do I personally think it will happen? No. I've detailed the reasons why and they are just things that always manifest themselves with CJ in his 7 years at Clemson and in the pros. One that popped up this week is his lack of smarts. Does that make him a bad guy? Of course not. But he continues to struggle with the mental aspect of the game and that costs him not only yardage, but opportunities. Beyond the fact that he admitted that he wasn't following his blockers......which is kind of ridiculous for a 4th year NFL RB......he was also being pulled for pass protection reasons. Not smart enough equals less yards and less touches. I don't care if you average 6 ypc, you still need 21 carries per game to get to 2,000 at that rate. The Bills ran the ball A LOT last Sunday, but CJ only got 17 carries.

Additionally, there is the issue of a change in offensive philosophy. With the Bills changing from an offense that speads a defense horizontally out to an offense that attempts to stretch vertically......the lanes are going to be tighter. There are still opportunities, but they might not come as easy and it might require the synapses to fire just a bit faster.

I usually enjoy reading your analysis on games and players. But with respect to Spiller you are leaping to unwarranted conclusions based on one game. As far as his intelligence what does it have to do with his running ability. Jamal Lewis ran for 2000 yards when he played with the Ravens a number of years ago. Not intending to be unkind but he wasn't the brightest light bulb in the room. OJ is a HOF runner. Next to Jim Brown he is the second best runner in the history of the game (my opinion), When he gets out of jail I'm very confident that he won't be attending any MENSA conferences.

Spiller isn't a good pass blocker not because he isn't smart but because he simply isn't a good blocker. There are a lot of good receivers who can't block. But that certainly doesn't mean that they are dumb. Your reasoning regarding his intelligence and limitations have me very mystified. What happens if he has a breakout game next week or the week after? Are his brain cells then mysteriously fired up?

You may be right that the offense changing from a horizontal passing to a more verticle passing offense could affect the running space for Spiller. But the problem with that notion is that in the first game most of the passes weren't downfield, they were short and quick passes.

My central point and criticism is that you are making a judgment based on inadequate data. You are drawing a conclusion based on one game with a rookie qb and a defense geared to stop the best player on offense i.e. Spiller.

If you want to make a fair judgment on Spiller then look what he did last year over a full season. He was one of the best running backs in the league (second to AP) and he had a remarkable number of big plays when the defenses were geared to stop him knowing that Fitz was an erratic passer.

My fantasy teams hopes rest on CJ so I hope he can produce, but 2000 yards is overly optimistic, I hope so but I think the hole at LG and susceptible rookie QB are going to make it so CJ can't have monster games on a consistent basis which is what you need to do in order to do something crazy like 2000 yards.

I would like to clarify my stance.....I said that IN MY OPINION Spiller was a bad selection before he played one down for the Bills. He turned out to be a good player, but as you said earlier, the team continues to lose. So was he a good selection at #9? I will leave this up to you and others to decide. And maybe we all will be glad that we selected him so early at some point. Count me in when he wins us some football games.

Like I said, he now owes us one for 2013.

Bill, I don't understand your reasoning. You are implicitedly saying that Spiller hasn't made much of a difference in winning more games. What you don't say is that the Bills, with him and before drafting him, were in general a very bad team. Even with him on the roster the qb situation was abysmal. The defense was in shambles. The roster in general, before his acquisition and after, were less than mediocre. No back, no matter how good, is going to make a deficient roster a winning roster.

The bottom line is that last year Spiller was the best player on the roster. Furthermore, last year Spiller was not only one of the most productive and explosive players on the team but also in the league. What more do you want out of that draft pick? Bulaga? How much of a difference maker would Bulaga have been compared to Spiller last year?

What would be the most influential factor in allowing Spiller to play for a more winning team? Playing on a team that has an upgraded roster and playing on a team that has a legitimate franchise qb. Hopefully, the Bills are moving in on the right direction that will allow him to play for a more successful team.

In Nix's first three drafts he selected a lot of duds. The Spiller selection was a resounding success.

http://forums.twobil...20#entry2905666

I have no doubt that Badol is a very nice guy and a decent person. However, this thread arose out of a previous thread regarding an article written about CJ Spiller. It was in that article that goals of 2000 yds in a season and the HOF were mentioned. They were not put forth by any TBD posters. It then became a debate about whether or not Spiller could rush for 2000 yds in a season. Badol's opinion is very clear on that matter. There are a number of posters, myself included, who happen to disagree with certain foundations of his argument. Debates are debates and intellegent people can arrive at different opinions and agree to disagree. My point to all of this is that I believe Badol would love nothing more than for Spiller to do well, as we all would. However, IMHO, this thread was primarily a shot, with numbers based off of one game, at those people who argued on the side that it would be possible for Spiller to rush for 2000 yds. No disrespect intended to Badol. Like I said, I am sure he is a nice guy. But even nice guys do things like that...and it is well within his right. No big deal - Just be clear about what it is.

My fantasy teams hopes rest on CJ so I hope he can produce, but 2000 yards is overly optimistic, I hope so but I think the hole at LG and susceptible rookie QB are going to make it so CJ can't have monster games on a consistent basis which is what you need to do in order to do something crazy like 2000 yards.

Listening to a national show this morning they went off on CJ being the biggest fantasy draft bust of 2013, by miles. Ugh, it was sad to hear.