So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

Well this all has to be a figment of our imagination because I distinctly remember all the experts saying that Byrd had zero leverage.

In the context of being honest he did.

Now IF he is lying about his PF then he has stooped to the level of a thief.

Now i have no clue if he does or does not have PF. But as zazzie pointed out, he played with it last year, he has had all offseason to let it heal. The evidence does not paint Byrd in a good light to anyone in the NFL. I think that is what Parker and Byrd are missing.

Let's say the Bills let Byrd walk and do not franchise him after this year. I am very interested to see what another team will pay for him.

A. He is a guy with a bad foot condition that their is no cure for and can act up at anytime.

B. He is a guy with bad character and thus a team will not want him around. Byrd and Parker feel the Bills hosed them by franchising them. that is an opinion not fact. So what happens next time Byrd and Parker feel hosed? Does the PF act up again to prove that they hold the cards???

The more the Bills win the better this gets for us fans and for this situation.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you. Feel better now?

I hate posts like this. Not one person on this board has any idea what Byrd is dealing with and we all just assume he's faking. This reminds me of a few years ago when someone claimed McGee was faking his injury and it turned out he had nerve damage and could barely walk, much less play.

Byrd might be upset, but he gains no leverage by faking an injury. None

Hindsight is 20/20 isnt it? This just has the smell of lies. It's just TOO convienient of an injury. One that he was able to play with last year. One that is wholly dependant on the person to say when he's ready and when he's not. You would be a fool not to see that (not callilng you out specifically).

Over the summer it appears there was nothing but acrimony on the Byrd camp, and they wouldn't even reach out for a negotiation as it was reported. Now they didn't get what they wanted and it appears they are pouting like babies because they didnt get their way. Byrd has to expect that he's going to get flack for this. To me, it's more likely he's trying to not have an injury. However, if it turns out to be that he has a real injury (which cannot be quantified mind you), he cant really blame the fans either. The fans are not wrong in feeling this way.

I hate posts like this. Not one person on this board has any idea what Byrd is dealing with and we all just assume he's faking. This reminds me of a few years ago when someone claimed McGee was faking his injury and it turned out he had nerve damage and could barely walk, much less play.

we don't know for certain but we can extrapolate. If his PF is as bad as that after three weeks of treatment, he is a big time out-lier, way out at the end of the bell curve. Possible? Yes ok. But very, very unlikely. And what a convenient coincidence!

These contracts are not guaranteed anyways. He could sign a 7 year contract get hurt, not be as good as he used to be & the team could still cuit him. Just because a guy signs a $50 million contract does not mean he is going to see every penny of that.

No Gordio. Byrd is a liar and a jerkface. Teams treat players who get injuried, old, & not deemed good enough like gold. A kid just die playing football. But Byrd should just accept whatever a team gives him out of the goodness of his heart. This whole situation sucks but it goes both ways. And the trashing of a man who has by all accounts a great head on his shoulders is sad and pathetic.

No Gordio. Byrd is a liar and a jerkface. Teams treat players who get injuried, old, & not deemed good enough like gold. A kid just die playing football. But Byrd should just accept whatever a team gives him out of the goodness of his heart. This whole situation sucks but it goes both ways. And the trashing of a man who has by all accounts a great head on his shoulders is sad and pathetic.

The bolded is a rediculous statement. So you're saying he wont play now because he has PF and he's afraid he's going to die because of it?

Also, THE BILLS ARE PAYING HIM 6.9 MIL!!! Thats not nothing! It doesnt go both ways anymore. If he's lying, then he's nothing more than a robber, he's pulling a heist.

thanks for your input Jairus

The bolded is a rediculous statement. So you're saying he wont play now because he has PF and he's afraid he's going to die because of it?

Also, THE BILLS ARE PAYING HIM 6.9 MIL!!! Thats not nothing! It doesnt go both ways anymore. If he's lying, then he's nothing more than a robber, he's pulling a heist.

What Byrd is saying is that without a long term commitment by the team, he is not going to risk aggravating his injury and make it worse like he risked it last year. It's highly likely that if he and the Bills agreed to a long term deal, he'd be paying through the pain. But without a guarantee for next year, he is not going to take that risk.

Bills knew his medical situation last year. They should have factored that into their negotiating tactic when they franchised him.

I can't imagine Byrd would play without at least a week of practice. As the season progresses and our defense is playing well, I can see us just staying with Leonhard rather than a possibly quirky and disenfranchised player who is only marginally better. I think Byrd is jeopardizing his position as each week goes by. The Bills can try and trade him but do you want a safety with a quarter of the season over who may or not be physically able to play? What do you give up to get him? This is not working out the way Byrd would like.

What Byrd is saying is that without a long term commitment by the team, he is not going to risk aggravating his injury and make it worse like he risked it last year. It's highly likely that if he and the Bills agreed to a long term deal, he'd be paying through the pain. But without a guarantee for next year, he is not going to take that risk.

Bills knew his medical situation last year. They should have factored that into their negotiating tactic when they franchised him.

So this makes it alright?

These contracts are not guaranteed anyways. He could sign a 7 year contract get hurt, not be as good as he used to be & the team could still cuit him. Just because a guy signs a $50 million contract does not mean he is going to see every penny of that.

yea but 20m+ is a lot nicer than 6.9m should something happen.

Also for what it's worth, Mike Munchak is an online guy and they went out and signed Levitre AND drafted Womack in the first round.

You mean the team that's 0-2 with a starting running back averaging less than 4 YPC? Levitre is good but he got starting LT money, I think the organization made the right move letting him walk away.

we don't know for certain but we can extrapolate. If his PF is as bad as that after three weeks of treatment, he is a big time out-lier, way out at the end of the bell curve. Possible? Yes ok. But very, very unlikely. And what a convenient coincidence!

How unlikely? Are you a doctor? It was the same last year with Mario's wrist. Then he had Surgery and started playing better. We have no access to the information. None. maybe its not just PF, maybe he has nerve damage like McGee did, or perhaps something else. Teams don't give out all the information, and for good reason. I'm sure you'd be perfectly ok with posting your medical records here?

When Gilmore got hurt people said he could play with a broken wrist, til they saw the picture of pins sticking out of his wrist.

Been reading the other posts and it seems as though most believe Byrd's faking the PF. However, just saw an ESPN preview where Mike Rodak says he doesn't expect Byrd to play. Does anyone have info saying otherwise?

No Idea. Want this guy on the field. 100% difference maker!!!

agreed here.

being angry about it doesnt really fix anything. Assuming the worst about him doesnt make my fan experience better. theres some outright seething hatred for the guy based off what amounts to a 2 word injury report.

So this makes it alright?

It is from his standpoint. It always takes two to tango. The days of players being beholden to the team that drafted them are long gone. Bills could have avoided all this by paying the man what he deserves in the free agency market.

How unlikely? Are you a doctor? It was the same last year with Mario's wrist. Then he had Surgery and started playing better. We have no access to the information. None. maybe its not just PF, maybe he has nerve damage like McGee did, or perhaps something else. Teams don't give out all the information, and for good reason. I'm sure you'd be perfectly ok with posting your medical records here?

When Gilmore got hurt people said he could play with a broken wrist, til they saw the picture of pins sticking out of his wrist.

pretty common knowledge about PF. google it. You will see lots of opinions from doctors.

It is from his standpoint. It always takes two to tango. The days of players being beholden to the team that drafted them are long gone. Bills could have avoided all this by paying the man what he deserves in the free agency market.

You assume he wouldn't be still nursing his wittle boo-boo even after we paid him. It's funny how we can sign players who actually give a damn about their team like Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson, but Byrd is such a special case that he can't possibly play for less than top money. <_<

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You mean the team that's 0-2 with a starting running back averaging less than 4 YPC? Levitre is good but he got starting LT money, I think the organization made the right move letting him walk away.

The Titans are 1-1, losing their one game in OT to Houston, and facing probably 2 of the top-5 running defenses in the league. I will be curious to see how the stats bear out at the end of the season.

But to the bigger point, I am not sure I ordinarily would disagree that you don't want to pay a guard a lot of money. But the fact is that Levitre was probably our most valuable player for several years-- super durable, could and did shift out to play LT and even center, and was extremely effective as a run and pass blocker. I think once in a while it's okay to splurge on a guy like him, particularly if it means keeping Glenn/Levitre/Wood intact as a unit for a decade.

agreed here.

being angry about it doesnt really fix anything. Assuming the worst about him doesnt make my fan experience better. theres some outright seething hatred for the guy based off what amounts to a 2 word injury report.

2 word injury report of an injury that is subjective to the person who has the injury. The only person that can say he's ready is Byrd.

To the point that Byrd has nothing to gain, I categorically disagree. He has played very well over the last few years, he miraculously gets better after not playing an entire season with the Bills and working out in the offseason. Now he works out with some teams and show's them he can be where he was.

Or, he's going to wait for the last few games to lower his chances of injury.

There are ways this is adventageous to him. To opine that there is nothing good that can come from him faking his injury is downright proposterous.

yup - many assume we have highly accurate reports and the truth is, we just dont. we dont know how bad it is, we dont know if Docs have said hed be risking a more major tear by playing. we dont know what damage was done playing on it last year.

someone mentioned his case having to be an outlier? well, yea, id assume that many nfl players deal with injuries that would qualify as that and get written up with simple diagnosis that we think we can relate to. is that the case here? maybe, maybe not.