Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills disgruntled safety Jarius Byrd would welcome trade

September 8, 2013 10:49 am ET http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23540901/bills-disgruntled-safety-jarius-byrd-would-welcome-trade

"It's only logical to wonder if he had contract security beyond this season if he might be more willing to extend himself medically to play."

in street talk...that's Man Up, take a shot and quit faking the seriousness of your injury.

Oh, goody, the same damn story with no attributed sources and more speculation.

I guess CBS sports needs the clicks. GIVE THEM ALL THE CLICKS.

What is so hard to believe about the story? All it's saying is that he's open to a trade, not that he's demanding one. I'm sure he feels betrayed by the front office and/or doesn't know what more he needs to prove to them. Hence he would welcome a tree somewhere else where he could get what he feels he deserves.

Bills disgruntled safety Jarius Byrd would welcome trade

September 8, 2013 10:49 am ET http://www.cbssports...d-welcome-trade

And this report says that the Bills offer was just a little bit more than the tender, about 7M/yr. Don't know who to believe at this point.

If the Bills' goal here is to keep this guy on the roster and for him to continue being a productive player, I think their strategy has failed.

I am beginning to think that they just are not all that terribly interested in keeping him around. Regardless of whether the Bills made him a fair offer and he is just greedy or if they made him a crap offer he had no choice but to reject, the bottom line is that we are out one pro bowl safety. This is not a successful outcome. I don't think anyone in the front office is cackling, "bwahahaaha, just the way we planned it!"

Edited by Mickey

And this report says that the Bills offer was just a little bit more than the tender, about 7M/yr. Don't know who to believe at this point.

If the Bills' goal here is to keep this guy on the roster and for him to continue being a productive player, I think their strategy has failed.

I am beginning to think that they just are not all that terribly interested in keeping him around. Regardless of whether the Bills made him a fair offer and he is just greedy or if they made him a crap offer he had no choice but to reject, the bottom line is that we are out one pro bowl safety. This is not a successful outcome. I don't think anyone in the front office is cackling, "bwahahaaha, just the way we planned it!"

I would argue that the very definition of "interested in keeping him around" is the application of the franchise tag which guarantees exactly that.

GO BILLS!!!

What is so hard to believe about the story? All it's saying is that he's open to a trade, not that he's demanding one. I'm sure he feels betrayed by the front office and/or doesn't know what more he needs to prove to them. Hence he would welcome a tree somewhere else where he could get what he feels he deserves.

It's the same story whether you believe it or not.

The other thing I would like to say on this matter is that I don't want to ever see the Bills draft a safety or interior offensive lineman in the first three rounds again if they aren't going to pay them should they develop into premium players. If you don't think these positions are that important then don't waste the picks and then have to let them go later.

good point

I agree to disagree if you're agreeable.

GO BILLS

I'd be agreeable but what Rapaport apparently said in detail (Howard Simon was relaying what Rapaport said) was that the Bills called the league office and asked them for an explanation of the rule and the league said no, that neither the Bills, nor any team, could even talk to them. This reporting is not the "rumor" variety of Byrd wants to be traded, or "a league source" says kind of thing. This was straight, this is a fact reporting. It's possible that Rapaport got it wrong. But to me it's highly unlikely he did on a story like this.

I'd be agreeable but what Rapaport apparently said in detail (Howard Simon was relaying what Rapaport said) was that the Bills called the league office and asked them for an explanation of the rule and the league said no, that neither the Bills, nor any team, could even talk to them. This reporting is not the "rumor" variety of Byrd wants to be traded, or "a league source" says kind of thing. This was straight, this is a fact reporting. It's possible that Rapaport got it wrong. But to me it's highly unlikely he did on a story like this.

ill say even if he got it right its flat out unenforceable and likely has near nonexistent consequences.

the nfl can barely (if at all) even handle tampering from other teams.

right - but could you have written the entire article 3 weeks ago without a source? easily. 2 weeks ago using rappaports tweet as a source? yup. many did. last week using 30 other guys on twitter as a source? yup. its missing the new factor that news normally comes with.

its not about proving he could be open to a trade - because that should be obvious and not shocking to anybody. that its another unsourced recycled article solely to get clicks was RTDB's point

"Im just waiting on my feet honestly, Byrd said Monday. Whenever they get ready or get right thats when Ill be out there. I've got to be 100 percent to go out there and get ready to go. Once it's ready to go I'll be the first one to say I'm ready to go and get back in there."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/09/09/feet-have-byrd-playing-waiting-game/

now he needs to be 100% healthy.....that should happen around the BYE week in november.

Edited by papazoid

"Im just waiting on my feet honestly, Byrd said Monday. Whenever they get ready or get right thats when Ill be out there. I've got to be 100 percent to go out there and get ready to go. Once it's ready to go I'll be the first one to say I'm ready to go and get back in there."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/09/09/feet-have-byrd-playing-waiting-game/

now he needs to be 100% healthy.....that should happen around the BYE week in november.

even as someone thats been of the wait it out approach, the 100% comment irked me some. simply saying "healthy enough to play" wouldve been a far more pleasant quote as a fan.

What rule are you talking about? I'm sure it's somewhere back on this megathread, but it's too hard to find things lately.

even as someone thats been of the wait it out approach, the 100% comment irked me some. simply saying "healthy enough to play" wouldve been a far more pleasant quote as a fan.

Contrast that with the post-game comments from our young QB, which were something to the effect of "you're never going to be 100% in this league, and my opinion is that if you can run, you can play. So I just go out there and ignore the pain and play because that's the only way to do it"

I'm paraphrasing from memory of course, but the difference in attitude is palpable.

What rule are you talking about? I'm sure it's somewhere back on this megathread, but it's too hard to find things lately.

That teams are not even allowed to talk to Byrd and his agent about a new contract from July 15 until the end of the season. They definitely can't sign him to one. There is a difference of opinion as to whether they can talk and negotiate. From what I imagine, and have heard, they cannot even discuss it. But as No Saint says, they probably do anyway and it's pretty unenforceable. Still, it's hard, if not impossible, to imagine that a team would give up a decent draft pick without knowing they could sign him long term. So I'm sure they would bend the league rules and nudge, nudge, wink, wink it.