Thoughts on opening day

billsgpr88

So the recent injuries have the bills faithful shaking their heads at the premature yet seemingly inevitable collapse at any chances of being respectable this year. I have to say despite the key injuries and glimpses of potential weaknesses in the washington game, I still feel like the bills have a GOOD chance of beating the pats come opening day, especially if EJ can play, for the following reasons.

1.) CJ IS THE MAN. Once he gets past the first level, he's as dangerous as anyone in the league and he's gonna get the ball more than he ever has. Marrone and Hackett both have a history of running the ball and the pats rush D was 27th in the league last year.

2.) EJ has looked like a leader on and off the field. Gone are the days of Bills qb looking at the ground, shrugging their shoulders during postgame interviews (Fitz was the biggest culprit of this), I honestly feel we have someone who hates to lose and will do whatever he can to win the whole game. I swear between Fitz and Edwards, it looked they would only realize in the fourth quarter that it was their job to score points.

3.) Wannsted is gone. I, like almost everyone else, was pumped last year in the preseason. A single interview with Dave Wannsted deflated nearly any hopes I had for the season before it even started. He had a lazy, complacent demeanor, and next to nothing to say about what he had planned for the D. The last thing you want from the leader of defense. On the other hand, Pettine seems really, relentlessly competitive (not to mention a real philosophy on defense and a playbook that isn't 20 years old). A big factor in my mind

4.) Pats lost their SEVEN best wideouts. I think everyone knows this, but it can't be stressed enough. They had two pro bowl caliber TE's and the best slot receiver in the game. Say what you want about Ammendola, he has never been close to Welker's level in his career as of yet.

5.) The bills had the pats at the ralph last year. If it wasn't for a monumental 2nd half collapse, that game was ours to win. I always think that divisional games are always totally different than all others because the teams are so familiar with each other, but the pats won't fully have that advantage because of the brand new playbooks, coaches, and several new players.

As bad as it was losing EJ, Kolb, and Gilmore in quick succession, I think the bills do have a decent chance on opening day. I don't know about the season as a whole, but I'm tired of reading about how brady is gonna tear them to shreads. And I'm tired of hearing about next year's draft prospects every time the bill's hit a bump in the road. Mark my words, it will NOT be a blowout.

GO BILLS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a shred of a silver lining in Gilmore injury, it's that few of the teams in the first 4-5 weeks have scary WRs.

The key to controlling Pats' passing is not so much pressuring Brady but punishing the small receivers as they catch the ball. Brady has proven that he will get his completions no matter what the pass rush does. It's taking a page out of Belichick playbook in superbowl xxv. That is what giants and Ravens did to them.

So Manuel misses maybe one game, Kolb is probably gone but let's face it the back up QB for the last couple of years was Thigpen. One of the three guys vying for that position has to be better than Thigpen. Gilmore will only miss four or five games, which means he plays in eleven or twelve. Hairston hurts depth. Biggest lose is Gilmore and he'll be back.

As for opening day I still think Manuel starts. Somebody said "it's going to be a war" let's hope so.

So the recent injuries have the bills faithful shaking their heads at the premature yet seemingly inevitable collapse at any chances of being respectable this year. I have to say despite the key injuries and glimpses of potential weaknesses in the washington game, I still feel like the bills have a GOOD chance of beating the pats come opening day, especially if EJ can play, for the following reasons.

1.) CJ IS THE MAN. Once he gets past the first level, he's as dangerous as anyone in the league and he's gonna get the ball more than he ever has. Marrone and Hackett both have a history of running the ball and the pats rush D was 27th in the league last year.

2.) EJ has looked like a leader on and off the field. Gone are the days of Bills qb looking at the ground, shrugging their shoulders during postgame interviews (Fitz was the biggest culprit of this), I honestly feel we have someone who hates to lose and will do whatever he can to win the whole game. I swear between Fitz and Edwards, it looked they would only realize in the fourth quarter that it was their job to score points.

3.) Wannsted is gone. I, like almost everyone else, was pumped last year in the preseason. A single interview with Dave Wannsted deflated nearly any hopes I had for the season before it even started. He had a lazy, complacent demeanor, and next to nothing to say about what he had planned for the D. The last thing you want from the leader of defense. On the other hand, Pettine seems really, relentlessly competitive (not to mention a real philosophy on defense and a playbook that isn't 20 years old). A big factor in my mind

4.) Pats lost their SEVEN best wideouts. I think everyone knows this, but it can't be stressed enough. They had two pro bowl caliber TE's and the best slot receiver in the game. Say what you want about Ammendola, he has never been close to Welker's level in his career as of yet.

5.) The bills had the pats at the ralph last year. If it wasn't for a monumental 2nd half collapse, that game was ours to win. I always think that divisional games are always totally different than all others because the teams are so familiar with each other, but the pats won't fully have that advantage because of the brand new playbooks, coaches, and several new players.

As bad as it was losing EJ, Kolb, and Gilmore in quick succession, I think the bills do have a decent chance on opening day. I don't know about the season as a whole, but I'm tired of reading about how brady is gonna tear them to shreads. And I'm tired of hearing about next year's draft prospects every time the bill's hit a bump in the road. Mark my words, it will NOT be a blowout.

GO BILLS

Hell yes brother! I'll be at the game for a family reunion and if the bills can pull this one out it will be one of the greatest days of my life!

Man "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" El will start hopefully!

The #1 positive for this team. You gotta hope CJ breaks one or two a game...

If he stays healthy...He's still a rookie, and if he starts he's going up against one of the toughest defensive minds in football...

While I like Pettine, he can't stop the run by himself. If the Bills can't stop the run, it will allow Brady to pick his moments for play-action bombs...

Let's hope Gronk is out. This is also why the Bills have to stop the run, otherwise it's easy pickings regardless of who the WRs are.

There's always hope....

They'll have a chance if they can hold the Pats to 25 or less points; but that's a big IF....

GO BILLS

GO BILLS

LOVE THIS POST

It wont be a blowout.

Maybe with Welker and Gronk and Hernandez it might have been. But don't think the Pats WR's better than Stevie ,Woods, Graham, Goodwin.

The Bills have the better run game, but can they stop the run?? That's my only concern.

I think the Bills would be wise to slow this game down and not run the hurry-up. Tom Brady is still Tom Brady and if you give him too many opps, he gonna get his.

Wish we had Gilmore, Coach Pettine would have blitzed the heck out of Brady. That's one DC who gonna earn his check 1st week out.

Bet Bills will have E.J. out there for sure. If he is we have a 50-50 shot at winning the game.

Why go away from the hurry up. It's what we practiced. Wear their "D" down. Don't let the other team dictate our program. If we did that we would have to change every week. Why is every one so afraid of NE? We can beat them. Just don't make any mistakes and take stupid peniltys.

They won't get to face the Bills every week.

True but I was thinking about 6 games against EJ/Kolb(now Tuel), ass-fumbler and Gino Smith and Tanneyhill with a turnstyle LT and crap running game. Plus whatever other bad teams they play and my other defense is the Bears.

True but I was thinking about 6 games against EJ/Kolb(now Tuel), ass-fumbler and Gino Smith and Tanneyhill with a turnstyle LT and crap running game. Plus whatever other bad teams they play and my other defense is the Bears.

Matchup strategy....Got it.

Just looking at the truth.

Combine youth and new coaching and a new scheme with a shallow CB crop and our star CB out against the top QB / offensive mind in the league and potentially an undrafted rookie who won like 5 games in college slinging the rock, the Pats could outscore us by 40-plus points.

Be prepared and you won't be gloomy after the game. If, in the odd chance the team prevails, you will be elated, as will I.

Edited by Just in Atlanta