Da'rick Rogers cleared waivers

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We will see - next up is swallowing his pride and us hoping he still doesn't get any offers if that's the plan.

I'm still surprised that no one claimed him. Would've been essentially a free couple day tryout. Even titus young was claimed off waivers this offseason for that purpose.

Titus Young. Didn't he claim he was the best receiver ever? He was so good he even didn't have to run the called route on plays.

And were not even close to being as good as Jason Peters. Not remotely close my friend.

Is an LT really a difference maker on a team when compared to a DT or safety? There have been quite a few teams in recent times that have mediocre LTs that went quite far in playoffs .

The thing about this is, it's hard at this point to view Jason Peters as anything other than a star tackle (albeit he's had injuries and most of us think he's greedy and lazy) but back when the Bills put him on the PS, they didn't have to sneak him on at all. He was a MAJOR project, a shot in the dark. This is what makes the fact that JP wasn't our anchor at LT for his entire career all the more disappointing. Obviously he had raw talent, but the Bills organization developed and shaped him. We made him what he was. We gave him a shot. Definitely too bad about Da'Rick, but I think it's quite a different situation than JP.

He was also a tight end at the time. An immensely huge TE, but a TE none the less. And perhaps the greatest wedge buster that ever played special teams. Wedge blockers were literally afraid to hit him.

GO BILLS!!!

Kyle Williams and Jairus Byrd were an all-pros.

Second team. Nice designation, but essentially an alternate.

Peters and punter Brian Moorman are the only two players that the Bills have developed in during the 13 years of failure that have earned a first team All Pro honor in their career.

Takeo Spikes was first team All Pro in 2004 after being acquired in free agency. There have been a few other second team honors. Antoine Winfield, Jason Peters three other times, etc..

To those saying no one would pick him up now because they're trimming their own rosters, the Saints thought enough of Jumal Rolle to pick him up off waivers. That's Jumal Rolle, and it's not like we don't need CB help. So Rogers makes it through waivers on early cuts, but Rolle doesn't. Interesting.

Why do you think that?

Maybe he is very immature and he is not ready for how tough it is? Sad really, because he has the talent. I work with many 18-23 y/o guys and i try to give them advice. Some take it, but many do not.

Rogers had all of us hoping he was another piece to our puzzle. Unfortunately it does not appear so. He will be in the NFL some where this season on a PS i am sure. Mabe in a year or two his maturity mentally will catch up with his maturity physically.

To those saying no one would pick him up now because they're trimming their own rosters, the Saints thought enough of Jumal Rolle to pick him up off waivers. That's Jumal Rolle, and it's not like we don't need CB help. So Rogers makes it through waivers on early cuts, but Rolle doesn't. Interesting.

With receivers it is about quality, with corners it is a bit more about quantity. That said, I liked what I saw of Rolle as a developmental prospect. Not surprised he was picked up, but it would seem to be an uphill climb to make a roster this late. He still might end up back on the PS in Buffalo if NO isn't impressed.

I think you're all missing something. Practice squads aren't created until the day after everyone has to be down to 53 players on the roster.

I feel like Rogers was cut for one of two reasons: 1) he was horrible in some way and the coaches felt like they didn't want him on the team or 2) He would be expected to play a lot in this final game, so if they are trying to get him onto the practice squad, not being on the team for the 4th game combined with his very limited number of snaps means that there is very little tape on him. Other teams don't know anything about him as a pro, other than that he was one of the first cuts, and he would have very little time to learn a new playbook. Therefore, cutting him now is probably the best way to "sneak" him onto the practice squad, if that's what they are trying to do.

I think the Bills (either Marrone, Whaley, or the WR coach) went to Da'Rick and told him he isn't ready, but if he clears waivers and wants to come back to learn how to be a pro they will sign him to the PS. Those guys get to practice with the team all year.

I have no basis for this; just my gut.

I hope you are correct. I was a big Da'Rick fan, but he just did not show much in the games. He is physically gifted, no doubt, but the complexities of an NFL offense must be tough to grasp for some folks.

His lack of hustle on that fumble is a bad sign, like a lack of football instincts.

As the PS went on, I thought DeMarco Sampson was doing well.

I would not be surprised to see Sampson signed to the PS, but not Rogers. I would prefer both make the practice squad, but time will tell.

Rogers is a classic example of one of the things I find simultaneously amusing and exasperating every year: in this case it's the overemphasis/angst over the 6th receiver spot. We all love it when the Bills find the low round draft choice or UDFA that makes it (Charlie Romes for the real old timers, Howard Ballard, Jason Peters, for that matter Stevie Johnson) but when you look at this team, the top 4 receivers (Johnson, Woods, Graham and Goodwin) are locked in, hopefully for the foreseeable future. It doesn't preclude a better one coming around, but they have made big time draft investments in upgrading their receiving corps and if they all pan out the #6 won't be active on game day and #5 (presumably Brad Smith) will mostly be a special teamer.

It's fun to think they found someone no one else did, but let's hope their investment of a high 2nd and two 3rd rounders are hits and we never have to worry about the 6th receiver making a big contribution.

Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Free Agent

(8/28/2013 12:32pm et)

Former Buffalo Bills WR Da'Rick Rogers cleared waivers Wednesday, Aug. 28, and is now an unrestricted free-agent. He can be signed to the practice squad any time after 6pm ET Saturday, Aug. 31, once the 53-man rosters are set.

So do the Bills sign him to the practice squad ?

ummmm, YES! His potential is to high even with his detractors, you can't afford to not sign him.

BigPappy

I hope you are correct. I was a big Da'Rick fan, but he just did not show much in the games. He is physically gifted, no doubt, but the complexities of an NFL offense must be tough to grasp for some folks.

His lack of hustle on that fumble is a bad sign, like a lack of football instincts.

As the PS went on, I thought DeMarco Sampson was doing well.

I would not be surprised to see Sampson signed to the PS, but not Rogers. I would prefer both make the practice squad, but time will tell.

Yeah I think that scoop and score that he didn't play thru on was indicative of what they saw from him in camp. Rogers had indicated that he wants to do the right things, but he may not understand how to be the player that teams want him to be. I run into this thing a lot when I employ young people who don't really know how to be professionals. They think they are doing a good job and are more concerned about why they aren't getting a ton of recognition for what they are doing than the fact that they aren't finishing jobs etc.. I was the same way as a teenager.

When you get a bad rap like Rogers, you gotta' be all-in to change that perception and I think he doesn't realize that some of the things he does are still perceived as self serving.....like quitting ever-so prematurely on a play where the QB was late with the ball (denying him an opportunity to make a play) even if it did appear to be an incomplete pass and not a fumble.......you simply gotta' finish. Or sulking/expressing self pity.......even if it is a fraction of how expressive he may have been in college. Some people never learn this stuff and they can usually be identified as the chronic whiner at the workplace. Teams don't want that guy.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

To have him in the stable in case a player goes down. To develop him in-house. So a team in our division hungry for a wide receiver doesn't gobble him up. So we don't have to watch him become a superstar elsewhere.

I realize that the likelihood of him becoming a star is low now, that this some serious writing on the wall. But all of this is based on speculation. So !@#$ it. Who gives a ****?

Your words are wise, large feline !

But there are still a couple of variables left relatively untouched: intellect, and emotional state. I believe Mr.Rogers may have overcome his substance addictions, but has other hurdles to surpass. In short, I don't think he's a "quick study", and some of that may be due a natural reaction to his "make it or break it" situation. I feel the kid is under a ton of pressure, feels it, and is not yet able to overcome all that.

To me, he looks a lot like Eric Moulds, physically and mentally. Moulds did nothing for 2 years because of it. I'd pay this cat the NFLs equivalent of minimum wage to see if he follows the same path.

In the words of one of the NFLs greatest:

"not everyone can be the sharpest lightbulb in the shed!"

~ Emmit Smith

~AS

Edited by Andre Speed

Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Free Agent

(8/28/2013 12:32pm et)

Former Buffalo Bills WR Da'Rick Rogers cleared waivers Wednesday, Aug. 28, and is now an unrestricted free-agent. He can be signed to the practice squad any time after 6pm ET Saturday, Aug. 31, once the 53-man rosters are set.

So do the Bills sign him to the practice squad ?

probably, don't care one way or the other.

Doubtful he gets signed to the PS, given they didn't hold onto him longer. But stranger things have happened, I suppose. I'd be surprised though.

Somebody posted this in another thread, but that fumble return for a TD by the Colts where he just stood and watched and offered no pursuit at all, must have pissed off his coaches. Big time. It's shocking how much that stands out when you are going over the tape in meeting rooms. Couple that with his reported mental lapses in practice and I don't think Rogers adds up to Marrone's kind of player.

GO BILLS!!!

yep, we don't need no playa wanabees

Is an LT really a difference maker on a team when compared to a DT or safety? There have been quite a few teams in recent times that have mediocre LTs that went quite far in playoffs .

They are much harder to find. And when you have a really good or dominant LT, he obviously needs less help, and this of course offers an offense more options.

The way the league is today, salaries will probably go down a bit at every position other than QB but in all, the LT will always be a highly sought after position.

Edited by Bill from NYC