I. Rapoport on Tuel/Manuel.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if that is your take, why ask a GM anything?

Because reporters have to write stories and a GM's or coach's quotes add instant credibility to your story, no matter how disingenuous the answer may be in reality.

I'm sure most reporters will tell you that GMs and coaches alike answer questions with some kernels of truth in them, however they also try not to let themselves answer a question in a way that undermines their team or gives away any competitive advantage. Even while participating in pressers, coaches never stop coaching and GMs never stop GM'ing.

But wasn't it the hated, despised, and loathed Buddy Nix who was the GM that signed Tuel?

SSh! You're going to ruin the ongoing "Buddy was terrible, Doug's a genius!" narrative. Edited by BillnutinHouston

But wasn't it the hated, despised, and loathed Buddy Nix who was the GM that signed Tuel?

You're always clouding my mind with facts!

(No kidding, I once read a transcript of a civil trial from some decades ago where the judge said that to one of the attorneys.)

kj

Quote from Marrone:

“Everyone heals a little bit differently. Right now he’s telling me he’s ready to go, but obviously he’s not. But that’s the mentality of EJ. So I’m excited about it. I’ve watched him do footwork drills in cones and watched him ride a bike, and just talking to him you’d think he’s starting on Thursday.”

EJ's already out there doing cone work; does anyone really think he isn't going to be practicing by next Monday and starting against the Pats*?

Quote from Marrone:

“Everyone heals a little bit differently. Right now he’s telling me he’s ready to go, but obviously he’s not. But that’s the mentality of EJ. So I’m excited about it. I’ve watched him do footwork drills in cones and watched him ride a bike, and just talking to him you’d think he’s starting on Thursday.”

EJ's already out there doing cone work; does anyone really think he isn't going to be practicing by next Monday and starting against the Pats*?

This is the best thing I've read all day, THANK YOU.

And compared to about 78% of all threads on TSW, this post is akin to "The Odyssey."

It's never going to happen (us beating the Pats with Tuel that is) but let's say it did, how will the EJ era ever start?

It would start the following week. Even if Tuel was able to beat the pats*, it is assumed from practice and preseason that EJ is still the better QB. So just because Tuel turns out to be a good QB, doesn't mean that he is better than EJ. I don't see much of a chance Tuel starts over a healthy EJ.

At least not at this point.

Quote from Marrone:

Yup. Marrone's double talk is fooling a lot of people, including ESPN who is running with Tuel starting on their Bottom Line. It's cool to see a Bills coach tricking people. However I imagine Belichick is among those who sees through the smokescreen and is preparing to face Manuel and the read option. Can't wait to see it play out on gameday.

And if he gets to that level, we should all be celebrating his signing as one of the great moves of the Whaley era.

I thought the Whaley era officially began after the draft and undrafted free agent signing period when Nix announced his retirement.

Quote from Marrone:

I'm not a doctor...but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

I think we all should be prepared for a brutal season, and hopefully pleasantly surprised if they do well. As much as I wanted to believe Manuel would come in and help move this team into the right direction, it was more likely going to be a tough season in which we witnessed the team playing hard, staying close in games, and finish about 5-11 or so. With Manuel possibly out (and at least missing the back half of training camp/preseason), Kolb out, and Gilmore out for at least the first quarter of the season, it's likely we are closer to the 1st pick in the draft than the playoffs.

I just hope Marrone and Co. are building a good culture around OBD and we see vast improvement in the second half of the season, which might set us up well for a good 2014.

Put yourself in the GM's chair answering that question from Rapoport. What are you supposed to say? No, we don't think we hit on anything with Jeff Tuel. He's just a camp arm and I can't believe you even asked me that question.

Exactly.

Nothing to see here....

Edited by Lurker

Quote from Marrone:

As long as he doesn't have any increases in swelling the day after, that's pretty good news. :thumbsup:

It's interesting because the one single thing I remember about Reich before he actually got a chance to play in a regular season game (the Monday night gave vs. the Rams) was that he looked terrible in preseason games...I'm not saying I remember everything because that was a long time ago...But I do remember specifically thinking he was going to be awful based on what I saw in preseason...And obviously he proved me very wrong... B-)

I was at that game, and Reich was simply awful for two thirds of the contest.

He made a few good plays late in the game, and built on the positives quickly. We won the game in the last minute and a half,(1:21?) and Reich's confidence was not to be diminished for the rest of his tenure in Buffalo!