(OT) Worst Personnel Change To A Band

Rico

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one that no one mentioned - Joe Strummer and Paul Simonon kicking Mick Jones out of the Clash. They went from being The Only Band That Matters to being a parody of themselves. The post Jones album ("Cut The Crap") is one of the worst albums I own and I loved this band back in the day.

I was never a big Brent fan either, but it wasn't so much his voice that I didn't care for, but at time his organ had me convinced I was at the circus.

Figures that the only one of the Dead who drank instead of doing drugs was the first to die. :(

All hail Mr McKernan!  :(

205853[/snapback]

I must disagree re: Brent... of course it's just personal preference, but from a musician's point of view, he was the single most energetic and creative source that the band had ever seen on the keys. His organ solo's continually ripped right through to your heart and he poured his heart and soul into every note he sang. He knew his theory better than any of those before him and this allowed him to perform at a much higher level during improvisational moments with the band, as opposed to Keith who besically peaked out in '74-'75 and never really gave much of an effort after that as he was "bored" with his instrument. :huh: The band obviously had many great "eras" ('73-'74, '77,etc.) but none was more energetic and musically thorough than in 1989 with Brent on the keys.

I don't mean to derail the VanHalen thread  :huh:  but just doing a stream of consciousness thang off the top of my bald head...

The Hollies after Graham Nash

The Byrds after David Crosby

The Band after Robbie Robertson (and later Richard Manuel)

The Who after Keith Moon (yes it was mentioned but NO ONE played drums like Moon) and after John Entwhistle (Boris the Spider was/is my favorite bassist)

Every Band He Was In after Eric Clapton left

206209[/snapback]

Both the Hollies and the The Byrds continued on successfully, IMO, after the two departures you mention. And when Clapton left the Yardbirds, it may have changed the band for the better.

But there was only one Keith Moon but then the Who did continue on.

And for those who mention the Doors, JM was a great front man, but the musicians in the band were very, very good. I know Jim wrote the words but I don't know how much input he had on the music.

All these posts and not one mention of your listing of Peter Green.  One of the better guitarists of the late 60-early 70 period.  Too bad he was haunted by his own demons.  But you want to listen to one great album, try "Then played On."  It would probably make my list of all time top 10. 

BTW, I didn't think you were that old. :huh: 

Also I doubt anyone could name a band which had so much success as such different entities.

206117[/snapback]

I am pretty old :( ,

but I never checked out the Green-era FMac until the early 80's...

quite a revelation. :(

Here's a couple that come to mind, in no particular order:

#1 - Diamond Dave out/Sammy Hagar in/Hagar out/Roth in/Roth out/Cherone in/Cherone out/Hagar in - worst musical decisions ever made. Can we please get the real band back together one more time before they're 65 years old? Time hasn't been kind to Diamond Dave and EVH, so how about it before they're both in wheel chairs.

#2 - Axl Rose trying to keep Guns N Roses alive w/o Slash & Co.

#3 - Jimmy Page and Robert Plant getting Phil Collins to try and emulate John Bonham @ Live Aid, sure it was for a good cause, but that was a bad performance all across the board by Led Zeppelin.

#4 - Ozzy out/Dio in - Nice work Sabbath :w00t:

#5 - Ted Nugent joining Damn Yankees....The Motor City Mad Man making power ballad mullet rock. :D

#6 - Trying to keep Lynyrd Skynyrd going after the plane crash.

3. Peter Green leaves Fleetwood Mac. Brilliant blues to AM pop.

And Danny Kirwan leaves Fleetwood Mac. And Bob Welch leaves Fleetwood Mac. And Lindsey Buckingham leaves Fleetwood Mac.

Honorable mention:  Peter Gabriel leaves Genesis.

205697[/snapback]

Phil Collins sucks 2x4's, but the band itself didn't start to suck until Steve Hackett left and Collins' contributions started a) being recorded, and b) charting. This was after 'Duke'.

Judas Priest: Rob Halford for Tim Owens. Not as bad as some think... Ripper is an excellent singer, now with Iced Earth replacing the great Matt Barlow.

Sepultura is a good call. Since Max left, they've sucked.

Yoko Ono? The Beatles were up against it as soon as they started to bring gfs/wives into the process. Ever catch the Linda McCartney isolation track on "Hey Jude"?

Syd Barrett replaced by David Gilmour. Sorry, "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is STILL the best Floyd album. Ah, what might have been; the LSD giveth and the LSD taketh away.

Ray Gillan replaced by David Coverdale, Deep Purple.

Greg Lake replaced by Gordon Haskell, King Crimson.

Terry Kath replaced by Donnie Dacus, Chicago (proof: their next album was "Hot Streets")

Fast Eddie Clarke and Motorhead... good pull. And now you got me wanting some drunken noodles.

Bruce Dickinson for Blaze Bayley, yup.

Potentially THE worst, if anybody had ever actually heard it: Little Billy Bailey (Axl Rose) replacing everybody in Guns N' Roses.

My sleeper pick/worst change: John Arch replaced by Ray Alder in Fates Warning. Anything special that was developing in that band went kaput.

My sleeper pick/best change: Charlie Dominici replaced by James LaBrie in Dream Theater. Their first two albums with James in the lineup were stunning.

#6 - Trying to keep Lynyrd Skynyrd going after the plane crash.

206504[/snapback]

Ahh yep. But it works for people who like to tease trailer park residents; instead of dragging a 20-dollar bill through there to see who chases, they can drag Skynyrd tix.

Both the Hollies and the The Byrds continued on successfully, IMO, after the two departures you mention.  And when Clapton left the Yardbirds, it may have changed the band for the better.

But there was only one Keith Moon but then the Who did continue on.

And for those who mention the Doors, JM was a great front man,  but the musicians in the band were very, very good.  I know Jim wrote the words but I don't know how much input he had on the music.

206312[/snapback]

Never cared for the post-Nash Hollies.

The Byrds were still a good band with Roger McGuinne (sp) but not AS good.

Saw the Who with and without Keith Moon; percussion matters.

It is all just a matter of opinion and taste anyway. :D

What about the Shondells without Tommy James. :w00t:

And for those who mention the Doors, JM was a great front man,  but the musicians in the band were very, very good.  I know Jim wrote the words but I don't know how much input he had on the music.

206312[/snapback]

The Doors are the most over-rated band of all time, with Nirvana a close second. They made mediocre at best jam songs, and the only thing that has made them a "great" band is that Jim Morrison died young. Same with Nirvana.

The Doors are the most over-rated band of all time, with Nirvana a close second. They made mediocre at best jam songs, and the only thing that has made them a "great" band is that Jim Morrison died young. Same with Nirvana.

207638[/snapback]

bull sh--. Nirvana transformed music and was truly unique when they burst on the scene. The Doors kick ass pure and simple. If you dont like them thats cool-music is subjective. But to say the Doors and Nirvana are only "great" because their singers died young is ignorant