(OT) Worst Personnel Change To A Band

Rico

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger Waters leaving Pink Floyd. I love all that is Floyd, even "Momentary Lapse of Reason," and "The Division Bell,"  but it is not the same.

205826[/snapback]

Very true...but those latter two are so disappointing to me that I don't have them. Waters wrote 90% of their music and he wanted to pack it in even before The Wall came out. Instead he booted Wright out of the band. Waters defines the embattled, tortured musician. But I read a recent interview and he has mellowed somewhat after the protracted legal battle with the rest of the band. But I don't believe you will ever see him and Gilmour having tea and crumpets together.

I won't be surprised if TheMadCap chimes in on this, too.

Actually I kind of liked the work they did in the studio with her.

205831[/snapback]

Terrapin Station being the example rising first and shining best.... although often crickets and cicadas sang a better tune. :huh:

Man, when Diamond Dave left Van Halen, Sammy Hagar came around and ruined one of my favorite bands.. Sammy hagar sucks, get the best of both worlds cd and compair David Lee Roth's songs to Sammy's.. huge drop off

Sammy Hagar sucks

205892[/snapback]

I guess I just don't know why DLR is so revered.

I'm not saying he was terrible. But I just don't think

he is a rock god either. Songs like Panama, hot for the teacher, Riding with the devil, were really good.

But not classics. From my perspective, he was just this flamboyant, charismatic, so-so talented compliment to eddie van halen, who was always the heart and soul of that band IMO. Some people try to make DLR out to be Robert Plant or even James Hetfield. He is not in the same universe as either one of them.

To me, he was an adequete front man and nothing more.

I'll take "Right Now" over anything DLR did (OK maybe not 'Hot for the Teacher' :huh:).

Yeah they went a little pop with Hagar but just because a band doesn't sing about sex and drugs(for which I certainly have a very healthy appreciation for ) it doesn't mean it's not good music.

DLR-lovers, flame away!

he is a rock god either. Songs like Panama, hot for the teacher, Riding with the devil, were really good.

But not classics.  From my perspective, he was just this flamboyant, charismatic, so-so talented compliment to eddie van halen, who was always the heart and soul of that band IMO.  Some people try to make DLR out to be Robert Plant or even James Hetfield. He is not in the same universe as either one of them.

I'll take "Right Now" over anything DLR did (OK maybe not 'Hot for the Teacher' :huh:).

Yeah they went a little pop with Hagar but just because a band doesn't sing about sex and drugs(for which I certainly have a very healthy appreciation for ) it doesn't mean it's not good music.

DLR-lovers, flame away!

205949[/snapback]

I'm going to guess... just a guess mind you that you did not grow up at a time when the original Van Halen was releasing music, and those albums were going from the record store to your turntable or cassette deck for a first listening sone after they were released.

I flame you not when I say.... You had to be there!.

But not classics.  From my perspective, he was just this flamboyant, charismatic, so-so talented compliment to eddie van halen, who was always the heart and soul of that band IMO.  Some people try to make DLR out to be Robert Plant or even James Hetfield. He is not in the same universe as either one of them.

DLR-lovers, flame away!

205949[/snapback]

No flame, but in the era of big, bold frontmen who could sing, DLR got the job done. VH was one of the premier bands of the late 70s, early 80s and they went downhill without Roth.

DLR-lovers, flame away!

205949[/snapback]

I like them both, though there was something magical about the dynamic of DLR/EVH. I didn't like the direction the band started off with when Sammy joined but liked a percentage of each resulting record (the best of which was F.U.C.K.). I don't think Sammy "wimped" out the band - I think they were going that direction anyway.

Ugh! You get used to her, like you get used to herpes. She added nothing. Why did they bring her on? Was it to broaden their appeal with women? It was a bad move.

205923[/snapback]

I heard she was doin' the keyboard player. :huh:

I heard she was doin' the keyboard player.  :huh:

205958[/snapback]

Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay is still singing in the Heart of Gold Band along with the son she had with Keith. Before she joined the Dead, she was a background singer for Elvis, Etta James, Boz Scaggs, Neil Diamond and others. Hard to believe she could sound so awful at times. But I am sure the drugs and alcohol didn't help.

One favorite memory of a Dead show was when Keith was toasted and hunched over his piano just plink-plunking on one note and Jerry came over and gave him a stiff kick in the ass. It didn't help much and the roadies helped him off during a space jam and he returned more focused a bit later.

I'm going to guess... just a guess mind you that you did not grow up at a time when the original Van Halen was releasing music, and those albums were going from the record store to your turntable or cassette deck for a first listening sone after they were released.

I flame you not when I say.... You had to be there!.

205953[/snapback]

The first record I ever bought was '1984'.

I listened to it over and over again when i was like 8 years old.

I loved that album. That is why I feel bad for coming down on DLR because

he was very good. I just don't think he is on the level you guys make him out to be. But, I know a lot of people do.

So maybe if i was more into my teen years when Roth/VH were in their prime maybe I would feel differently. Then again my buddy, who is the same age, loves DLR, so I guess it may be just me. :huh:

B word  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

205864[/snapback]

Them's FIGHTIN' words!! I loved Valerie! She was my first TV crush!!

BTW, I agree...the discussion begins and ends with Van Halen...twice. Gary Cherone should have kept Extreme going.

Mike

Them's FIGHTIN' words!!  I loved Valerie!  She was my first TV crush!!

206044[/snapback]

The scary thing about Valerie Bertinelli and EVH is how they gradually grew to look alike over the years, until I one day walked by a magazine stand and found my self asking "What's Eddie Van Halen doing on the cover of 'People' magazine?" before I looked more closely and realized it was Valerie...

The scary thing about Valerie Bertinelli and EVH is how they gradually grew to look alike over the years, until I one day walked by a magazine stand and found my self asking "What's Eddie Van Halen doing on the cover of 'People' magazine?" before I looked more closely and realized it was Valerie...

206054[/snapback]

Boy, you're not kidding.

206054[/snapback]

Ah, but they are divorced now, so it's all for naught. :(:huh:

Valerie's still pretty cute. At least she was in the five minutes I've seen "Touched By An Angel" the past few years.

Mike

Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay is still singing in the Heart of Gold Band along with the son she had with Keith. Before she joined the Dead, she was a background singer for Elvis, Etta James, Boz Scaggs, Neil Diamond and others. Hard to believe she could sound so awful at times. But I am sure the drugs and alcohol didn't help.

One favorite memory of a Dead show was when Keith was toasted and hunched over his piano just plink-plunking on one note and Jerry came over and gave him a stiff kick in the ass. It didn't help much and the roadies helped him off during a space jam and he returned more focused a bit later.

205987[/snapback]

That's great.

saw this topic on another board...

My top 3:

1. Mick Taylor leaves the Stones, replaced by Ron Wood.

Woody is cool, but no other band in history can touch the Taylor-era Stones.

2. Kenney Jones replaces Keith Moon. No way Jones could replace the greatest drummer in rock history, RIP Moonie.

3. Peter Green leaves Fleetwood Mac. Brilliant blues to AM pop.

Honorable mention:  Peter Gabriel leaves Genesis.

205697[/snapback]

I still haven't got over Gabriel leaving... :huh:

Ah, but they are divorced now, so it's all for naught.  :(  :huh:

Valerie's still pretty cute.  At least she was in the five minutes I've seen "Touched By An Angel" the past few years.

Mike

206060[/snapback]

Really?? :(

Just a few more nominees:

If we count dead guys, the loss of Terry Kath cost Chicago any chance of long-term credibility -- he was such a great guitar player he NEVER woulda stood for their synthy 80s pop sound.

Firing Ozzy was a definite dead-ender for Black Sabbath, although they had no choice.

Topping all these, however, is the horrible news I've recently heard that Brian May and the rest of Queen may go on tour with a new lead vocalist...Paul Rogers of Bad Company. Bismillah! Let me go! :huh: