(OT) Worst Personnel Change To A Band

Rico

Brent Mydland never really grew on me. I thought it was a good voice, but more suited for the Allman Bros. or Skynard...not so much the Dead. Pigpen was a tough act to follow for any of his successors.

205834[/snapback]

Speaking of the Allmans,

ex-Allman Brother Chuck Leavell has pretty much ruined the Stones live shows since 1989 with his plinking on lead piano. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Halen went from being the greatest Rock Party band around to a Pop, joke version of themselves.

I agree for the most part but just wanted to mention that Van Halen was already heading that direction when Diamond Dave hit the bricks.

"Jump" was not the only bad pop song on 1984.

Cya

Brent Mydland never really grew on me. I thought it was a good voice, but more suited for the Allman Bros. or Skynard...not so much the Dead. Pigpen was a tough act to follow for any of his successors.

I was never a big Brent fan either, but it wasn't so much his voice that I didn't care for, but at time his organ had me convinced I was at the circus.

Figures that the only one of the Dead who drank instead of doing drugs was the first to die. :(

All hail Mr McKernan! :huh:

I agree for the most part but just wanted to mention that Van Halen was already heading that direction when Diamond Dave hit the bricks.

Cya

205848[/snapback]

Drop Dead legs, Hot for Teacher, Panama (Popular doesn't make it Pop) all rocked. Top Jimmy and Jump could have been left on the floor in my opinion.

Unfortunatly it seems that it was Eddie who ended up pussing out and ruining this band.

Question to ponder... Was Valerie Berteneli the Yoko Ono of Van Halen????

Cya

205848[/snapback]

I'd have to agree... the last Van Halen album I liked from start to finish was Fair Warning.

I was never a big Brent fan either, but it wasn't so much his voice that I didn't care for, but at time his organ had me convinced I was at the circus.

Figures that the only one of the Dead who drank instead of doing drugs was the first to die. :(

All hail Mr McKernan!  :huh:

205853[/snapback]

I never minded Brent too much, I'm a fan of the Hammond b3 organ sound (but I get the circus reference :( ).

The string of keyboard players in the Dead rivals that of drummers in Spinal Tap, but my favorite, near their end (Jerry dying) was when Bruce Hornsby would sit in and play with them live. It was the PIANO that had been missing since Keith was around

Question to ponder... Was Valerie Berteneli the Yoko Ono of Van Halen????

I don't know when she became a bandwife, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she played a major role in getting the band to give wildman Roth the boot so that he wouldn't corrupt her sweet innocent boys.

B word :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Greatest GUITAR album EVER.

205860[/snapback]

<Fonz On>

Darin... I agggg

I aggrrrrrr

I agree. (Whew, its not easy to agree with Darin)

Mean Streets may be my favorite VH song from a guitar point of view. GREAT STUFF!!!

I don't know when she became a bandwife, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she played a major role in getting the band to give wildman Roth the boot so that he wouldn't corrupt her sweet innocent boys.

B word  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

205864[/snapback]

I doubt she had anything to do with it. Virtually everyone who comes in contact with DLR grows tired of his act in short order. The same can pretty much be said for EVH, though the incubation period is longer. That's probably why the music was so good.

I'm split on the mustaine/metallica thing.

Part of me fantasizes about a modern day metallica with Cliff Burton and Mustaine instead of hammett and trujillo.

Wow! Now there is a band with talent/balls to compete with Zepplin for the title of greatest rock band ever.

As it is, they aren't far from that distinction

I was always hard on Jason Newsted simply because he wasn't cliff.

But I guess u never realize what u have til it's gone.

When I look back, the energy/talent of Newsted represented everything that metallica stood for. And he really added a lot to the live shows.

He really was just what the band needed after Cliff's death.

Which is probably why Burton's name hasn't been mentioned on this thread.

This trujillo guy just doesn't do anything for me.

I'm surprised not many are with me on the Hagar thing.

They have gone to the pop side, but I still think Hagar/VH really made

great music. I guess opinions are like, Well ... you know.

I never minded Brent too much, I'm a fan of the Hammond b3 organ sound (but I get the circus reference  :huh: ).

The string of keyboard players in the Dead rivals that of drummers in Spinal Tap, but my favorite, near their end (Jerry dying) was when Bruce Hornsby would sit in and play with them live. It was the PIANO that had been missing since Keith was around

205862[/snapback]

I shouldn't be too hard on Brent cuz I liked his work most of the time. But when he forgot he was a role player and started trying to overpower the band he could be a little much.

And agreed on Hornsby, a talented player who brought more to the Dead than anybody had in a very long time. I'm partial to his work on the bluegrass circuit but he was also a good fit with the boys.

Cya

P.S. Oh and thanks for the mental image of Vince Welnick sitting on his stool and then combusting into a little green globule :(

Virtually everyone who comes in contact with DLR grows tired of his act in short order. The same can pretty much be said for EVH, though the incubation period is longer.

Well yeah, there is that isn't there :huh:

Virtually everyone who comes in contact with DLR grows tired of his act in short order. The same can pretty much be said for EVH, though the incubation period is longer.

Dave was definitely a guy who got a LITTLE too caught up in his own act.

I never minded Brent too much, I'm a fan of the Hammond b3 organ sound (but I get the circus reference  :( ).

205862[/snapback]

My biggest problem with Brent was his crappy songs :huh: . Same thing for all the Dead shows post-1983.. the newer material they played really paled in comparison to their older stuff. I'd rather listen to Jerry in his prime, and the band playing nothing but classic Dead.