Just an idea...

billsgpr88

Since our secondary is a mess right now... ron brooks to strong safety?

I'm not big on the x's and o's, so I'm sure some of you can give me a hundred reasons why this is a bad idea but hear me out. Mckelvin covering the top wide out is a nightmare to me, he has no chance. As much of an optimist I try to be, a guy who's been in the league for six years has had more than enough time to show you what he brings to the table and unfortunately that isn't much as far as mckelvin goes. This means aaron williams (in my mind) HAS to return to corner, leaving the SS slot open (he didn't look that comfortable there last week anyways). With Searcy looking terrible in the preseason and all other possibilities being completely unproven, why not plug in arguably the biggest hitter in the secondary to the position in the secondary where that matters the most? Brooks hasn't impressed with his coverage skills, but I think that forced fumble against the colts showed you something we haven't seen from a bills db (and rarely from ANY bills player) since antoine winfield: a BIG A$$ hit. The kind that gets the crowd going, and makes the wideouts tentative. Of course he's undersized, not familiar with the position and wasn't even projected as a potential safety in the draft, but the secondary's in dire straits and something's got to give. I'm tired of seeing every offensive player that plays against the bills fall forward after a hit, or even worse pick up a few yards after contact. I'm sure my ignorance of the game is showing now, but the secondary is desperate and in need of an attitude change imho.... I dunno, just an idea

And for the love of God get Bryan Scott off the field... He covers receivers like guns and roses do knockin' on heaven's door

Ron brooks is a better CB than Aaron Williams. Aaron Williams is a better SS that Ron brooks. Now, why would we do this?

I think we are past the point of having a coaching staff that drafts player A at X position and transforms them to play position Y.

I don't think there is any real evidence that supports either of those statements

Have you watched preseason? Even to the casual football fan, I thought it was obvious that Aaron has been performing better as a saftey than he did as a corner. If they didn't switch him to safety, I honestly don't see Aaron Williams even making the team. Out of our starters from last year, he was close to the worst we had

Have you watched preseason? Even to the casual football fan, I thought it was obvious that Aaron has been performing better as a saftey than he did as a corner. If they didn't switch him to safety, I honestly don't see Aaron Williams even making the team. Out of our starters from last year, he was close to the worst we had

I'm not advocating this idea, but Williams was horrible in Q1 against Redskins. Both big pass plays were his fault. He was totally out of position and also poor tackling

Well the only pattern that I'm noticing is we talk more about how bad our players are playing than players who are doing something good... THAT is a problem...

McKelvin can barely speak understandable English and Byrd is "unhappy"... There's no George Wilson to give the secondary any veteran leadership... We have talented players but unfortunatelt they're either rookies and haven't developed yet or 2nd and 3rd year players who just don't have the it factor and are just solid backups at best...

Seems every year we have issues... I just hope this "up tempo" offense doesn't go 3 and out and tire our defense throughout games which seems to be the most concerning to me on offense... I DO believe though that EJ and his legs will get us more 1st downs than Tuel and Kolb, so offense REALLY is in his EJ's hands this year. We all know CJ is going to break big runs and the wide receivers are quick. If the O-Line can give EJ four seconds to scan the field we should be alright on offense...

The defense relies on the front 4 getting pressure on the QB consistentlt for this young secondary to even have a shot at being decent without Gilmore...

Bills key to success for the first half of the season is basically the O-line needs to give EJ time and the front four on defense needs to get pressure on the QB... Obviously (In my best Marrone voice)

Since our secondary is a mess right now... ron brooks to strong safety?

I'm not big on the x's and o's, so I'm sure some of you can give me a hundred reasons why this is a bad idea but hear me out. Mckelvin covering the top wide out is a nightmare to me, he has no chance. As much of an optimist I try to be, a guy who's been in the league for six years has had more than enough time to show you what he brings to the table and unfortunately that isn't much as far as mckelvin goes. This means aaron williams (in my mind) HAS to return to corner, leaving the SS slot open (he didn't look that comfortable there last week anyways). With Searcy looking terrible in the preseason and all other possibilities being completely unproven, why not plug in arguably the biggest hitter in the secondary to the position in the secondary where that matters the most? Brooks hasn't impressed with his coverage skills, but I think that forced fumble against the colts showed you something we haven't seen from a bills db (and rarely from ANY bills player) since antoine winfield: a BIG A$$ hit. The kind that gets the crowd going, and makes the wideouts tentative. Of course he's undersized, not familiar with the position and wasn't even projected as a potential safety in the draft, but the secondary's in dire straits and something's got to give. I'm tired of seeing every offensive player that plays against the bills fall forward after a hit, or even worse pick up a few yards after contact. I'm sure my ignorance of the game is showing now, but the secondary is desperate and in need of an attitude change imho.... I dunno, just an idea

And for the love of God get Bryan Scott off the field... He covers receivers like guns and roses do knockin' on heaven's door

So your saying that Scott is pretty good, B-)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

so what your saying is you dont actually want any feedback?

No I definitely want feedback but neither player has proven themself at either position so we can't say it's an open and shut case. Williams looked passive against the redskins and I'd like to see brooks in a position to do what he does best: hit

Yes there is. See 2012. AW is a good safety. Bad corner. Brooks is an decent up and coming nickel corner. I am thinking Byrd can man that other safety spot.

Agreed. Lets face it people, most strong safeties can't cover very well. And I don't just mean lil Donte the pro bowl SS for San Francisco that cost them the superbowl with his coverage skills. If they are covering someone it's usually a big TE in which case you need them to have some height and reach. Aaron Williams has that type of body, and he hits hard in run support. He's our best bet in there with Byrd obviously at FS.

We are going to need pass rush from Hughes and Mario in a big way, with Pettine dialing up some tricky blitzes or zone stuff to get at the QB. That's how you can partially make up for having weak corners.

The rest is going to be ball control offense, which unfortunately is not Hacketts specialty.