Bills release WR Rogers, WR Sampson, C Turnley, CB Rolle, DB Ellis

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Da'Rick was too stupid to learn the play book and was basically playing like he thought his athleticism could make up the difference. The problem is that guys like him grow on trees. Making it in the NFL either requires raw skills that MOST other NFL players don't have (Mario Williams), or the intelligence to make the most out of what you're bringing to the table in the absence of that athletic advantage (Wes Welker). Da'Rick is neither.

daricks physical ability is a cut above what you find easily available.

I guess NFL GM's, who all passed on drafting Rogers this past April, really do know more about NFL personnel than all the amateur draftniks who proclaimed Rogers to be the next Randy Moss.

Heard Chis Brown say on the Bills' pregame this weekend that Rogers may wind up getting released two or three times before the light comes on and he finally realizes what it takes to become an NFL professional. He also said that there's simply no denying Rogers' talent.

I gave my reasoning for thinking that it is a mistake. It is really easy to find The Chris Hogan's and Kamar Aiken's of the world. If you cut them you can bring in a guy the next year just like them. They grow on trees. Charles Rogers was obviously a huge bust but I would rather give that talent a chance to done out. Worst case scenario you lose Brad Smith, Hogan or Easley. How many games are any 1 of those guys going to win you? I am no saying that Da'Rick would have either but in time he might have. They certainly cut him early to try to sneak him onto the PS. They gave him the Michael Jasper treatment. A project with a lot of raw ability that with either become a star (Jason Peters) or flame out (Michael Jasper). IMO, you see if he becomes a star at the expense of a guy that you can easily replace.

I understand and respect your logic. And I agree it's better to gamble on a future superstar than to settle for certain (and replaceable) mediocrity.

But how long should Marrone and his staff wait for the potential to manifest? How much loafing can they suffer before cutting bait? How long should they risk Rogers work-ethic and other issues becoming contagious? I think they gave Rogers enough time and made the right decision.

daricks physical ability is a cut above what you find easily available.

Well apparently, 32 NFL teams agree with me. If that were the case, he would have been drafted. Obviously it wasn't. Further to that point, his "physical ability" has translated to ZERO advantage on the field. This also corroborates my point. If he were a Calvin Johnson, he would be catching balls despite being out of position. If he were a Mike Wallace, he would be outrunning coverage. He's done neither of those things, so your point is just factually wrong.

This guy wasn't even one of the 75 best players at Bills camp. Can he please be removed from that pedestal now?

Is it really likely the coaching staff is devoting so much time and strategic thinking to a player that can't even get it right in practice or produce in preseason?

Potential is nothing more than wasted talent.

I understand and respect your logic. And I agree it's better to gamble on a future superstar than to settle for certain (and replaceable) mediocrity.

But how long should Marrone and his staff wait for the potential to manifest? How much loafing can they suffer before cutting bait? How long should they risk Rogers work-ethic and other issues becoming contagious? I think they gave Rogers enough time and made the right decision.

My thought was this season and into next training camp. That would have been ample time IMO. You would have a full season and offseason with him. I am not saying he would have a lifetime free pass, more of an extended chance.

Too bad about Rogers, but oh well. Now, the question is will the Bills carry 6 WRs, or are Easley and Smith fighting for that 5th final spot.

Doesn't that still leave 8 WR's on the roster? Johnson, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Easley, Smith, Hogan and Kaufman.

This guy wasn't even one of the 75 best players at Bills camp. Can he please be removed from that pedestal now?

Is it really likely the coaching staff is devoting so much time and strategic thinking to a player that can't even get it right in practice or produce in preseason?

Potential is nothing more than wasted talent.

I think that was more of an attempt to sneak him to the PS. They want other teams to think that (like what they did with Jasper a few years back). If it looked like a difficult decision a team may be more likely to take a chance. I still think he ends up in an active roster but if they want to PS him I think that this was the right time to release him.

Doesn't that still leave 8 WR's on the roster? Johnson, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, Easley, Smith, Hogan and Kaufman.

Not interested in Hogan or Kaufman for anything but the PS, and I don't think the Bills are either, hopefully I'm right.

Not interested in Hogan or Kaufman for anything but the PS, and I don't think the Bills are either, hopefully I'm right.

On that we can certainly agree. I do think they keep 6 on the roster. This was one of the toughest positions last year to field a team week to week due to injuries. I like the way Easley has played in the preseason and don't believe you can simply cut Brad Smith given his utility in other aspects of the game. We'll see none the less.

No surprise on Rogers. Marrone telegraphed that awhile ago. Amazing how some misinterpret pretty straightforward comments and conjure up grand conspiracy theories!

This saves Bills fans from saying "good riddance to bad rubbish" three years down the road.

When is this board going to add a "Like" button? LOL.