Bills release WR Rogers, WR Sampson, C Turnley, CB Rolle, DB Ellis

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those that say he won't be on NE. The Pats look for players with good heads, not meat heads. Rogers appears to be the latter.

One thing folks forget about Rogers' history is that all college environments are not the same. At TN (his first stop), the program is likely very "professional" with strict rules on player performance and behavior. TN Tech is likely less football focused. So, it's easy to see him being treated and acting less professionally at TN Tech. So, he's not trying to make the jump between the SEC and the NFL. He's leaping several levels of football and trying to make it in the most professional of football leagues.

That's a tough adjustment and it doesn't look like he can make it.

I believe he goes on waivers first, and if he clears waivers, he can be re-signed to the practice squad. I could be wrong.

Practice squads are assembled after the final rosters are set, so he'll be a FA for another two weeks. Some team may take a flyer on him in the meantime, but he'd very likely have problems picking up a new playbook in a week. If he likes the coaching staff, it's possible he'll be back...

Practice squads are assembled after the final rosters are set, so he'll be a FA for another two weeks. Some team may take a flyer on him in the meantime, but he'd very likely have problems picking up a new playbook in a week. If he likes the coaching staff, it's possible he'll be back...

MAybe they do not like the way he practices, and do not want him on the PS. Maybe someone else offers to take him on THEIR PS. Do the Bills have any priority on getting him on their PS at all? If not, Da'Rick has likely seen his last Buffalo area Applebees.

All the talk about Rogers on the PS - it ain't happening. They'd keep him on the roster for the final pre-season game if they had the intention of keeping him on the team as a PS player. They released him now so he has the chance to catch on with someone else.

All the talk about Rogers on the PS - it ain't happening. They'd keep him on the roster for the final pre-season game if they had the intention of keeping him on the team as a PS player. They released him now so he has the chance to catch on with someone else.

Not really true. Players who were cut in the pare down to 75 have in the past been brought back to the Practice Squad.

Not really true. Players who were cut in the pare down to 75 have in the past been brought back to the Practice Squad.

Any examples? I don't doubt you I just don't recall this happening.

The mistake everybody is making while judging Da'Rick is calling him a "project" with only potential on his side. That's not true. He's got an NFL body already and was considered to be one of the more NFL-ready coming in. The issue with him is attitude. It looks bad out there on the field if he's dogging it a lot. That's the real issue with him.

I'm mad that he got cut because I think that kind of value is dumb to pass up, but it's not the end of the world I guess.

I agree. In this case I think you would have kept him to final cuts because it gives other teams less time to work with him. Since they released him now I think some team will sign him because he will be an upgrade to their wr corps and they don't have to make a quick decision on him. Look at what's been happening with Sinkfield.

I am in the camp that it was a mistake to cut Rogers. His impact this year would not be much less than Hogan for example. He may not be quite as productive but in a year or two could develop into a player that is far superior to Hogan, Brad Smith, etc... You cannot teach talent and you have to protect it. Think about it, we are talking about a guy to full the role previously held by Kamar Aiken. Would you rather that role be filled by someone with Kamar Aiken's ability or someone with 1st round ability?

I am in the camp that it was a mistake to cut Rogers. His impact this year would not be much less than Hogan for example. He may not be quite as productive but in a year or two could develop into a player that is far superior to Hogan, Brad Smith, etc... You cannot teach talent and you have to protect it. Think about it, we are talking about a guy to full the role previously held by Kamar Aiken. Would you rather that role be filled by someone with Kamar Aiken's ability or someone with 1st round ability?

i tend to agree, but am hoping that behind the scenes they had the info they needed to make the right call here.

I don't get people still standing by Rogers. But I stand by what I wrote a couple days ago...

Roger's problems go way beyond his drug history. Here's what one predraft scouting report had to say about his weaknesses:

"Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down."

http://www.nfl.com/d...gers?id=2540179

We've already heard of similar things at St. John Fisher - like Rogers loafing back to the huddle instead of running like the other receivers. This doesn't sound like the kind of guy that Marrone wants on the team.

Right now the NFL WR that Dar'rick Rogers most resembles is Charles Rogers who also had tremendous potential but never accomplished anything as a pro because of issues with maturity and consistency of effort. "Potential" just isn't worth much without some other important attributes.

Ike Hilliard will have to do heroic work as receivers coach for Rogers to survive the Turk.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/160674-bills-wrs-revisited/page__st__40

It takes more than an athletic receiver's body to be a good NFL WR. Rogers just doesn't currently possess the necessary mix of skills and attitude needed to succeed.

I don't get people still standing by Rogers. But I stand by what I wrote a couple days ago...

Roger's problems go way beyond his drug history. Here's what one predraft scouting report had to say about his weaknesses:

"Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down."

http://www.nfl.com/d...gers?id=2540179

We've already heard of similar things at St. John Fisher - like Rogers loafing back to the huddle instead of running like the other receivers. This doesn't sound like the kind of guy that Marrone wants on the team.

Right now the NFL WR that Dar'rick Rogers most resembles is Charles Rogers who also had tremendous potential but never accomplished anything as a pro because of issues with maturity and consistency of effort. "Potential" just isn't worth much without some other important attributes.

Ike Hilliard will have to do heroic work as receivers coach for Rogers to survive the Turk.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/160674-bills-wrs-revisited/page__st__40

It takes more than an athletic receiver's body to be a good NFL WR. Rogers just doesn't currently possess the necessary mix of skills and attitude needed to succeed.

I gave my reasoning for thinking that it is a mistake. It is really easy to find The Chris Hogan's and Kamar Aiken's of the world. If you cut them you can bring in a guy the next year just like them. They grow on trees. Charles Rogers was obviously a huge bust but I would rather give that talent a chance to done out. Worst case scenario you lose Brad Smith, Hogan or Easley. How many games are any 1 of those guys going to win you? I am no saying that Da'Rick would have either but in time he might have. They certainly cut him early to try to sneak him onto the PS. They gave him the Michael Jasper treatment. A project with a lot of raw ability that with either become a star (Jason Peters) or flame out (Michael Jasper). IMO, you see if he becomes a star at the expense of a guy that you can easily replace.

IMO, you see if he becomes a star at the expense of a guy that you can easily replace.

The problem with this thinking is that he would have become a star in Buffalo. With a player like Rogers - where it's effort and not talent that's holding him back - getting cut a few times can be the impetus that finally gets his motor going. Obviously not getting drafted didn't do it. Perhaps getting cut will. At some point that talent means zilch and you can't keep giving a guy with talent a free ride because he "might turn into something." Giving him a free ride is what prevents someone like that from every amounting to anything.

Da'Rick was too stupid to learn the play book and was basically playing like he thought his athleticism could make up the difference. The problem is that guys like him grow on trees. Making it in the NFL either requires raw skills that MOST other NFL players don't have (Mario Williams), or the intelligence to make the most out of what you're bringing to the table in the absence of that athletic advantage (Wes Welker). Da'Rick is neither.