Bills release WR Rogers, WR Sampson, C Turnley, CB Rolle, DB Ellis

Im interested to see who we are going to bring in at CB with the Gilmore Injury. Surely we will add someone??? What say ye??!!!

They still need to cut one more player today by 4:00 to get down to 75. They would have to cut another player to bring in a replacement for Gilmore.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought was this season and into next training camp. That would have been ample time IMO. You would have a full season and offseason with him. I am not saying he would have a lifetime free pass, more of an extended chance.

So you're going to give a guy that hasn't put in the work, that doesn't pay attention and that hasn't made any plays "an extended chance"? What message does that send to the other players grinding hard to make the team? "Oh well, no matter how hard I work, the guy with the potential wins". Sorry, but Marrone doesn't operate this way...

I just don't get the man love for Rogers.

People on this board need to listen to more GR55 - Murph, pre-game and post-games always provide insight on players.

As has been mentioned, Chris Brown, Joe B and others who have been at practice every day have repeatedly commented on Rogers' gaffes and lack of effort. After the game last week the first 3 callers we're whining to Sal that they were sad Rogers didn't get on the filed - eventually he basically said "shut up, the guy didn't put in the effort and doesn't deserve to be on the field." It's pretty much that simple...

I think it's crystal clear now that Rogers problems are all between the ears...I have a distinct feeling the kid is just not smart enough to play the NFL game...I think that's probably why he gets down on himself so much...Maybe he's just not the brightest bulb on the tree?...Does anyone have his Wonderlic score? I can't find it anywhere... B-)

So you're going to give a guy that hasn't put in the work, that doesn't pay attention and that hasn't made any plays "an extended chance"? What message does that send to the other players grinding hard to make the team? "Oh well, no matter how hard I work, the guy with the potential wins". Sorry, but Marrone doesn't operate this way...

People on this board need to listen to more GR55 - Murph, pre-game and post-games always provide insight on players.

As has been mentioned, Chris Brown, Joe B and others who have been at practice every day have repeatedly commented on Rogers' gaffes and lack of effort. After the game last week the first 3 callers we're whining to Sal that they were sad Rogers didn't get on the filed - eventually he basically said "shut up, the guy didn't put in the effort and doesn't deserve to be on the field." It's pretty much that simple...

i think anyone thats seen his play extensively in college realizes his physical gifts are on a different level than a typical UDFA. in football talent and potential often win out over effort. these guys have been around the game their whole lives and they know that. thats not to say its something you want to make a habit of, but sometimes you do give a guy a bit more time because his upside is more rare.

now between him going UDFA, and now cut, theres clearly more behind the scenes that we arent aware of - what that consists of can make a huge difference. im not going to pretend to know the behind the scenes, but if you have ever seen rogers play, you know he has the potential to be a special receiver if he gets his head straight. a big if.

i think anyone thats seen his play extensively in college realizes his physical gifts are on a different level than a typical UDFA. in football talent and potential often win out over effort. these guys have been around the game their whole lives and they know that. thats not to say its something you want to make a habit of, but sometimes you do give a guy a bit more time because his upside is more rare.

now between him going UDFA, and now cut, theres clearly more behind the scenes that we arent aware of - what that consists of can make a huge difference. im not going to pretend to know the behind the scenes, but if you have ever seen rogers play, you know he has the potential to be a special receiver if he gets his head straight. a big if.

Agreed...I'm totally guessing here...But I don't think it was an effort thing, or a talent thing...I just have a feeling the kid cannot grasp concepts that are mandatory for the NFL game at WR...And I'm guessing that's why he gets so down on himself... B-)

This franchise has had plenty of Tim Anderson's recently and won nothing. Yes, I would rather have someone with Rogers talent on the roster than someone with Chris Hogan's talent. They aren't going to play much anyways. I will take my chance on developing him into an impact player (as was done with Jason Peters). You are never going to develop Hogan or Brad Smith into anything more than they are. The raw skills just aren't there. The attitude is what it is and would hopefully improve but it isn't that important at this point. An undrafted rookie does not have any kind of pull or influence in the locker room. His poor attitude wouldn't impact anyone but himself. If he doesn't develop by this time next year so be it. At that time I would be cool with him moving on. Jarius Byrd's attitude on the other hand....

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I really was hoping that they kept DaRick on the roster. I was looking at it like this, we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year no matter what. That is really all that matters to me. I can't see how a guy like Kaufman is going to get us closer to that goal. Down the road, Da'Rick is talented enough to be a potentially be a difference maker on the offense and the type of guy that can drastically improve an offense. It's worth the small risk of keeping him on the roster and trying to develop him.

Hopefully, Marrone just thought he was a lost cause. If that's the case, I hope he's right.

This franchise has had plenty of Tim Anderson's recently and won nothing. Yes, I would rather have someone with Rogers talent on the roster than someone with Chris Hogan's talent. They aren't going to play much anyways. I will take my chance on developing him into an impact player (as was done with Jason Peters). You are never going to develop Hogan or Brad Smith into anything more than they are. The raw skills just aren't there. The attitude is what it is and would hopefully improve but it isn't that important at this point. An undrafted rookie does not have any kind of pull or influence in the locker room. His poor attitude wouldn't impact anyone but himself. If he doesn't develop by this time next year so be it. At that time I would be cool with him moving on. Jarius Byrd's attitude on the other hand....

Yeah, I guess I just disagree. Give me the guy that working hard throughout camp, that's catching everything that's thrown his way and that actually IS making plays vs. a guy who someday, because he was good in college, MIGHT make plays.

As for saying Hogan will "never develop into more than he is", that's just not something you can predict. Look at Stevie, a late round pick that developed into more than he was by working his ass off (#HBHF). Hogan had a good off-season last year, almost making a roster and looks to have improved on that enough this year to make a roster (maybe, of course)

And I'm not saying his attitude would bring the team down, but the coaches unfair treatment of "production" vs "potential development" is where I think it gets sticky. Marrone is preaching hard work and a fair chance to make the team - I just don't see how you put the guy that's constantly not paying attention and screwing around on the team...

As for saying Hogan will "never develop into more than he is", that's just not something you can predict. Look at Stevie, a late round pick that developed into more than he was by working his ass off (#HBHF). Hogan had a good off-season last year, almost making a roster and looks to have improved on that enough this year to make a roster (maybe, of course)

but at its very core the fact that its his third year and hes still just competing for a bubble 6th wr/practice squad situation doesnt say to you that hes not likely to explode on the scene suddenly?

I really was hoping that they kept DaRick on the roster. I was looking at it like this, we aren't winning the Super Bowl this year no matter what. That is really all that matters to me. I can't see how a guy like Kaufman is going to get us closer to that goal. Down the road, Da'Rick is talented enough to be a potentially be a difference maker on the offense and the type of guy that can drastically improve an offense. It's worth the small risk of keeping him on the roster and trying to develop him.

Hopefully, Marrone just thought he was a lost cause. If that's the case, I hope he's right.

I would disagree 100%. I would rather have another guy that's working hard to succeed than a (*^*&%^$^#slacker. Give me another Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson that is working hard than a guy like Rogers. When I think of Rogers, I think of Matt Jones. Potential? Sure, but too stupid.

but at its very core the fact that its his third year and hes still just competing for a bubble 6th wr/practice squad situation doesnt say to you that hes not likely to explode on the scene suddenly?

I agree with you. That's kind of why I used Kamar Aiken because we all like what is shiny and new. I like Chris Hogan and keep trying to convince myself that he will become more. In reality it is muh more likely that he becomes Kamar Aiken, Sam Aiken or any other end of the roster WR named Aiken.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would disagree 100%. I would rather have another guy that's working hard to succeed than a (*^*&%^$^#slacker. Give me another Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson that is working hard than a guy like Rogers. When I think of Rogers, I think of Matt Jones. Potential? Sure, but too stupid.

its odd how you use freddy and stevie and then matt jones

what if your choice is tim anderson, or kelvin shepherd vs dez bryant?

if hogan is a future freddy or stevie thats cool but we are also his 4th team in 3 years and hes still not particularly lighting the world on fire. i was a hogan advocate before it was trendy on this board but thats when it was hogan vs kevin elliot and ruvell martin. even with rogers gone, hogan isnt a top 6 talent for us imo.

Well, after three years I guess there is no "suddenly" :D - but I hear ya. And I don't necessarily agree. Just because it hasn't happened for him in two seasons doesn't mean that it won't.

At least he putting in the work, paying attention and trying to make it happen, doesn't sound to me that Rogers was will do to that...

Just like everything in the NFL, time will tell. But if this were me I take the hard worker that's buying to my system, over the guy with potential that is always horsing around.

Well, after three years I guess there is no "suddenly" :D - but I hear ya. And I don't necessarily agree. Just because it hasn't happened for him in two seasons doesn't mean that it won't.

At least he putting in the work, paying attention and trying to make it happen, doesn't sound to me that Rogers was will do to that...

Just like everything in the NFL, time will tell. But if this were me I take the hard worker that's buying to my system, over the guy with potential that is always horsing around.

i hear the point, and i dont know how big of a mess rogers has been around the facilities - so the discussion may be worthless from my end. if the choice is easley vs rogers i feel better than hogan vs rogers though for instance. at some point hard work just isnt enough. likewise at some point physical gifts arent either. if our 6 are SJ13, TJ, Goodwin, woods, easley and smith im not THRILLED but im happy and would like to see kaufman/hogan on the PS.

If you heard Mark Kelso and Chris Brown during the Redskins pregame they said Rogers would often miss his call to the field because he'd be shooting the bull with someone instead of paying attention to practice. I know Da'Rick came in with a lot of hype but do you really keep a guy who can't even pay attention in practice?

PTR

Kelso also said that he tended to take plays off or not complete his routes if he wasn't the primary target or wasn't getting open. When Kelso was asked whether the team could overlook that based on his potential, hoping he would straighten out, and Kelso was very quick to say NO!

He went on to say that Rogers may need to be cut from a few more NFL rosters before he realizes what it takes to actually make one.

Agreed...I'm totally guessing here...But I don't think it was an effort thing, or a talent thing...I just have a feeling the kid cannot grasp concepts that are mandatory for the NFL game at WR...And I'm guessing that's why he gets so down on himself... B-)

That's not what Kelso said after observing him at a number of practices. His head wasn't fully in the game. He was not focused on making the team, but let himself be distracted. Kelso said he took plays off or didn't complete his routes when he wasn't the primary.

This is a kid who still thinks he can get by on talent alone, and that just ain't gonna cut it in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBob