I think we're overreacting with the game yesterday.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I saw a lot of blitzes out of the Bills D yesterday which I would not call vanilla. I could be wrong though. What would have made it not vanilla to you?

I've only watched the 1st half so far but though they have done some blitzing, the defensive sets seem basic or "traditional," not like they looked in the previous weeks or even in practice. It's not blitzes that make Pettine's D dangerous, it's putting uncertainty into the O bymoving players around befor the snap. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen much of that so far today. Now I'll go watch the 2nd half.

I've only watched the 1st half so far but though they have done some blitzing, the defensive sets seem basic or "traditional," not like they looked in the previous weeks or even in practice. It's not blitzes that make Pettine's D dangerous, it's putting uncertainty into the O bymoving players around befor the snap. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen much of that so far today. Now I'll go watch the 2nd half.

you could just skip the parts we are on offense if that wouldn't take longer than the actual drive

Other than our defense letting them go down the field on us on multiple occasions (which is a legitimate concern) I think our offense we shouldn't take too much away from this game.

EJ was out and Kolb went out with concussion symptoms after that I'm sure Marrone told Tuel to not go out there and get himself hurt, just finish the game. Which is why you didn't see a lot of throws down the field and a lot of 2 runs 3 and outs which is why the defense got put in a tough spot all game.

I think the only thing we should take away from this game is the lack of pressure (which could have been by design) and the lack of run defense. Other than the special teams played well, CJ played well, our starting O went down the field and responded to Washington's TD drive. I wouldn't focus too much on the offenses 3 and outs.

Does my argument seem valid? Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't think Marrone wanted to come out of the game with 0 quarterbacks and didn't want his only quarterback going out there in preseason looking down the field 10-20-30 years while he gets blasted.

I agree on the offense being out of sync --- there were two sure TD's or at minimum long completions to Graham that went back due to PI/poorly thrown balls --- and the SJ13 turnover -- As for the Defense --- that's 50% of the team ? --- my concern is limited to the 1st team getting out physicaled by Skins O-line and run/passed all overed by White/Grossman --- if I didn't know it, I would have thought this was the 2012 D -- and that's not good --- over-reaction is being limited because it is pre-season -- let's hope Pettine rallies this group --- or Brady will put another 52 spot on us and no offense will be able to overcome that !!

It was very disappointing to say the least to watch them play. Washington is a legit playoff and superbowl contender. It shows us how far we need to go to be a contender again. we will beat bad teams and get beat by good teams. Could be another 6 and 10 season.

I disagree. The NFL is a QB driven league. Washington was the Buffalo Bills of the NFC before they got RGIII. Look at how far away the Colts were in 2011 without Manning. What this team needs is for EJ Manual to become a franchise QB to be a contender again.

Other than our defense letting them go down the field on us on multiple occasions (which is a legitimate concern) I think our offense we shouldn't take too much away from this game.

EJ was out and Kolb went out with concussion symptoms after that I'm sure Marrone told Tuel to not go out there and get himself hurt, just finish the game. Which is why you didn't see a lot of throws down the field and a lot of 2 runs 3 and outs which is why the defense got put in a tough spot all game.

I think the only thing we should take away from this game is the lack of pressure (which could have been by design) and the lack of run defense. Other than the special teams played well, CJ played well, our starting O went down the field and responded to Washington's TD drive. I wouldn't focus too much on the offenses 3 and outs.

Does my argument seem valid? Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't think Marrone wanted to come out of the game with 0 quarterbacks and didn't want his only quarterback going out there in preseason looking down the field 10-20-30 years while he gets blasted.

yeah but it was annoying how flat they were, no one on the same page either, hopefully this wakes them up

My biggest disappointment was that our offense went 3-and-out on their last SEVEN drives. For guys who are fighting for their roster spot including our 'stable of talented wide receivers' it was a shame that they could not get ONE first down on those seven drives. That showed LACK of EFFORT. On the biggest stage of their lives, they were not motivated? Something is very wrong here.

Same over reaction that has been the last 13 years... Oh wait we were right! I don't know how else to put it, we got our asses kicked starter to starter and it wasn't really close. Their THIRD STRING QB looked like Tom Brady / Joe Montana on us. Still can't stop the run, still can't cover the pass, still can't get pressure against good teams.

what are you talking about? Our D set records last year.

My biggest disappointment was that our offense went 3-and-out on their last SEVEN drives. For guys who are fighting for their roster spot including our 'stable of talented wide receivers' it was a shame that they could not get ONE first down on those seven drives. That showed LACK of EFFORT. On the biggest stage of their lives, they were not motivated? Something is very wrong here.

It could also show lack of ability.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Read my avatar. This is the precise reason I created it.

Also, it's the same reason I changed my title. Even though some things/times will look bad this year, we cannot surrender to despair. We are finally moving in the right direction. That much is obvious. Anyone who thinks we aren't, either isn't thinking much at all, or, has an agenda that includes being negative for the sake of being negative.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The most important takeaway: Washington is much better than Minnesota (who barely limped into the playoffs on the back of near-record setting performance from AP) and Indianapolis (who barely limped into the playoffs on the back of a giant horseshoe rabbits foot).

Thats because Iron man Kevin Kolb, leader of men, tamer of the domestic dog, went down in a blaze of fire, felled by his only weakness: physical contact. Every single one of those players will tell you Old Wooden sides Kolb is the heart and soul and adenoids of that team. Those players would gladly follow Kolb into battle no matter how badly the odds were against them. They'd follow him to the gates of hell or to IR and back and then back to IR again, if Kolb asked them to. You can't fault them for losing all hope when Kolb went down. After all, if Kolb can't handle the dreaded Skins 3rd stringers than what chance do the rest of them have?

It could also show lack of ability.

It could also show a watered down, conservative approach in an effort to protect the only healthy QB suited up. The second half offensive performance is not of concern to me. The first half defensive performance is. Hopefully there is an answer for that, although without Gilmore I fear they will be forced into more conservative schemes.

I thought I saw a lot of blitzes out of the Bills D yesterday which I would not call vanilla. I could be wrong though. What would have made it not vanilla to you?

Vanilla as i always understand it in the preseason context is where they run base defenses without scheming or game planning for a specific opponent.

They may still blitz, but they don't target the blitz to the Side a respective o has more difficulty picking it up for example.

They don't disguise pass coverage to confuse the QB they are facing or figure out how to shutdown the opposing key player or running/passing play.

So little or no game planning, film study and adjustment for tendencies.

Vanilla as i always understand it in the preseason context is where they run base defenses without scheming or game planning for a specific opponent.

They may still blitz, but they don't target the blitz to the Side a respective o has more difficulty picking it up for example.

They don't disguise pass coverage to confuse the QB they are facing or figure out how to shutdown the opposing key player or running/passing play.

So little or no game planning, film study and adjustment for tendencies.

I am pretty sure they were doing this in order to weed out guys to cut. It looked bad. But there were a lot of guys out there we won't see again. And a lot of guys who were not out there who will start.

I am pretty sure they were doing this in order to weed out guys to cut. It looked bad. But there were a lot of guys out there we won't see again. And a lot of guys who were not out there who will start.

I'd like to agree with you but Theisman was adamant the bills defensive starters were out there well into the fourth quarter. What a Super beta douschebag he is.