Negativity

dayman

It is preseason .... sky is falling .... no-fun crowd is no fun .... shut up ... why are you here ... blah blah .... why watch the Bills if that is your attitude ... you are wrong these guys will play better ... coaches put players in difficult spots on purpose in preseason .... etc etc ... (there--we got that out of the way).

The bottom line that any rational Bills fan should understand (and I do believe Bills FANS should be able to be rational on this board) is that nobody in their right mind should believe this defense will be good until they see it at this point. Defensive line doesn't play the way it looks on paper consistently. LB crew is terrible. And DBs are barely a notch better than LBs.

Additionally, we have no QB at this point other than the hope that EJ will get it done. There is a strong likelihood that between the offensive line, QB situation, and WR corp....that offense will be inconsistent at best, if healthy, and terrible if even a few injuries happen.

IF....EJ ends up being awesome....we may be able to do something. IF that happens...we probably win 9 games (looking at the schedule now) and end up missing the playoffs. That would be an amazing season and I would love it if that became reality. But the best case scenario never becomes reality.

So what is the point of this topic? No point. Other than to just say that all signs point to another 5-7 win season ... which is fine b/c nobody on this board is here b/c we are front runners. But all in all ... it is time to get our heads straight since the season is about to start. No sky is falling threads once the season actually starts b/c we all know what is coming deep down. Unless EJ lifts us to the heavens (which will almost definitely not happen based on his college career) ... it is the sameoldbills.

Go Bills. Lets enjoy the season, and be happy to root for this average at best team yet again. :)

PS: Preseason means nothing ... but the players you know you have do.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with any NFL team it comes down to the QB. If Manuel develops into a good QB the Bills will be fine and on an upward path. If he turns out to be another in a long line of scrubs the Bills have placed behind center they will continue to wallow in the lower tiers of the league.

It's not any more difficult to understand than that.

I am a homer. I think we're going to turn it around every year. I don't care how many bad years in a row. Yes it is very frustrating, not being a fan of a competitive team. But I don't care. I think it's just as rational to have hope that thing we were missing just might come to us one year. Maybe it's EJ. So I'm going to put my faith in him. I don't have to, I prefer to look at it this way instead.

The two preseason wins proved nothing. The preseason loss proved nothing.

We're probably not as good as we looked against the Colts. We're probably not as bad as we looked against the Skins. We won't find out until the regular season gets under way. I'm taking this game like any other preseason game... with a grain of salt.

It is preseason .... sky is falling .... no-fun crowd is no fun .... shut up ... why are you here ... blah blah .... why watch the Bills if that is your attitude ... you are wrong these guys will play better ... coaches put players in difficult spots on purpose in preseason .... etc etc ... (there--we got that out of the way).

The bottom line that any rational Bills fan should understand (and I do believe Bills FANS should be able to be rational on this board) is that nobody in their right mind should believe this defense will be good until they see it at this point. Defensive line doesn't play the way it looks on paper consistently. LB crew is terrible. And DBs are barely a notch better than LBs.

Additionally, we have no QB at this point other than the hope that EJ will get it done. There is a strong likelihood that between the offensive line, QB situation, and WR corp....that offense will be inconsistent at best, if healthy, and terrible if even a few injuries happen.

IF....EJ ends up being awesome....we may be able to do something. IF that happens...we probably win 9 games (looking at the schedule now) and end up missing the playoffs. That would be an amazing season and I would love it if that became reality. But the best case scenario never becomes reality.

So what is the point of this topic? No point. Other than to just say that all signs point to another 5-7 win season ... which is fine b/c nobody on this board is here b/c we are front runners. But all in all ... it is time to get our heads straight since the season is about to start. No sky is falling threads once the season actually starts b/c we all know what is coming deep down. Unless EJ lifts us to the heavens (which will almost definitely not happen based on his college career) ... it is the sameoldbills.

Go Bills. Lets enjoy the season, and be happy to root for this average at best team yet again. :)

PS: Preseason means nothing ... but the players you know you have do.

It's really any given Sunday... During the course of an NFL season countless things can happen to make one team have an advantage over it's opponent. A key player can be injured, referee may blow a call, etc.

There's no telling what each Sunday brings so we can't just say we're going to win 5 or 7 or 9 games cuz we just simply don't know. I refuse to judge this team based solely on todays performance.

Im an EJ fan until the kid shows me something that has me question him. He's yet to throw a pick, makes pretty decent decisions, has been getting better each day and according to Marrone, never makes the same mistake twice.

I WAS very disappointed in today's performance but I will reserve judgement of the team til about week 4 or week 5 in the regular season.

Oh and I do believe that Washington has a GREAT shot at winning the division this year. They seem like a very complete team. I say that based on their 2nd and 3rd string players playing lights out. If we are smart, we might take a look at some of the guys they cut in the next couple of days cuz there WILL be some good players being cut...

I am a homer. I think we're going to turn it around every year. I don't care how many bad years in a row. Yes it is very frustrating, not being a fan of a competitive team. But I don't care. I think it's just as rational to have hope that thing we were missing just might come to us one year. Maybe it's EJ. So I'm going to put my faith in him. I don't have to, I prefer to look at it this way instead.

I agree with you completely. Optimism is cheap and plentiful, and helps keep a bounce in your step. Negativity and complaining is just a really lame way to go through life, and few people want to hang out with people like that to begin with.

I was optimistic after reading some of the hype put out by the Bills and by those who watched them at camp. That all evaporated.

Hated the drafting of Graham. Hate it more, now.

Very disappointed in how Alonso looks so far.

Wondering if Hughes will turn into Maybin 2.0

Wannstedt was not the problem. He played vanilla because vanilla looks like it may have been the best optiin.

How can a team go so many seasons without an excellent linebacker?

How many players would hurt this team if they got hurt? Spiller has a decent backup and RB is the most overrated position on the field.Having a great RB means nothing in the standings.

Gilmore would hurt. Maybe a couple guys on the D line. SJ. EJ, even though we have no idea what he is.

All that said, they have an outside chance at .500 because the NFL is a game of attrition, so if you get luckier than the other guy with injuries you can still compete.

I was optimistic after reading some of the hype put out by the Bills and by those who watched them at camp. That all evaporated.

Hated the drafting of Graham. Hate it more, now.

Very disappointed in how Alonso looks so far.

Wondering if Hughes will turn into Maybin 2.0

Wannstedt was not the problem. He played vanilla because vanilla looks like it may have been the best optiin.

How can a team go so many seasons without an excellent linebacker?

How many players would hurt this team if they got hurt? Spiller has a decent backup and RB is the most overrated position on the field.Having a great RB means nothing in the standings.

Gilmore would hurt. Maybe a couple guys on the D line. SJ. EJ, even though we have no idea what he is.

All that said, they have an outside chance at .500 because the NFL is a game of attrition, so if you get luckier than the other guy with injuries you can still compete.

You have to be trolling here. Some of those points are absolutely ridiculous.

"They were who we thought they were." I just love that quote from Dennis Green.

Has any Bills play so far this summer surprised you? Honestly? Fred Jackson looks slow. The o-line is not opening holes for the backs. The d-line is not getting enough pressure. Etc. All of this and more comes as no surprise to me.

So what's my point? We pretty much know what we have with the players. I'm interested in what the coaches are going to look like during a regular season game. Chan Gailey would wuss out when it came to going for it on 4th down or kicking a 50yd field goal. The DC would go to a prevent defense to try and preserve a lead. Bleck! I want to see how Marrone & Co. call their game when it counts.

Which points are ridiculous? If you want to make a sweeping declaration you could at least offer up something specific. I believe everything I posted in that comment. Refute whatever you think is ridiculous.

Perhaps you believe that RB is incredibly important and you could point out how the best teams depend on great running backs. That was true before the NFL became a pass first and run as an afterthought business.

Great running backs don't equal success. Great quarterbacks do. Having a great D matters, especially a great pass rush. The Giants have demonstrated that repeatedly.

Or maybe you believe taking Graham was a good pick.

Or maybe you think Posluszny was a great linebacker.

The two preseason wins proved nothing. The preseason loss proved nothing.

We're probably not as good as we looked against the Colts. We're probably not as bad as we looked against the Skins. We won't find out until the regular season gets under way. I'm taking this game like any other preseason game... with a grain of salt.

Makes the decisions on who to cut easier for sure. A little adversity will call out the players you don't want on your team. Lets hope those bad players revealed themselves last night. This could be the best thing that has happened this preseason. Plus Manny Lawson, Kiko A. and Larry Hughes look like real ballers to me. Best LB crew we've had since mid 2000's

I just think the team was gassed from the opening kickoff. It was a grueling training camp and they were on the road. They just did not have much gas in their tanks yesterday... or so I hope

We were sloppy everywhere, and obvioulsy the coahces are trying new stuff to see how it works and how players react as well.

At some point the personnel on the DL need to be questioned. With all the supposed talent there, I would think they could stop the run, which no Bills defense has done in almost forever. And regardless of it being pre-season, the Pat White/Rex Grossman trio should not be beating you through the air like that.

This will be a season of growing pains and that's precisely what happens when you have so many rookie or 2nd year players starting like Buffalo has. But what's more concerning is the DL should be a strength and yesterday it wasn't. I guess I should apologize in advance for my negativity.

I was very high on our team before the game. Head coaching and QBs rule the roost in the nfl. I think we have 2 good ones. Finally. We are headed in the right direction. The black cloud that is currently over my head regarding this team, is Stephon Gilmores wrist injury. I think, if he misses significant time, we could lose the majority of the games, if not all of the games he misses. He is THAT important to this defense. Our other CBs cannot be counted on as of now. Our defense will most likely get decimated. I'm still extremely excited about our team, but its evident that we need to draft a CB #1 next year. While I really think brooks can be a solid nickel CB, we need to upgrade our #2. I love Leo, but I'm not so he can be "the guy" opposite Gilmore.

Lets just hope and pray that Gilmores injury doesn't require him to miss any time. Game 1 could get ugly without him.

A lot of posters come here solely to vent. They have to make sure that others feel their frustration.

I just think the team was gassed from the opening kickoff. It was a grueling training camp and they were on the road. They just did not have much gas in their tanks yesterday... or so I hope We were sloppy everywhere, and obvioulsy the coahces are trying new stuff to see how it works and how players react as well.

I was disappointed with their play yesterday but this is my theory too.

The team looked overworked and they just broke camp on Wednesday. They had an off day on Thursday to move and it was just one of those games (which happen to all teams) where the team wasn't sharp for a variety of reasons.

They're not robots.

I remember thinking on that one play where Helu fumbled and the ball bounced right back into his hands "this is just one of those days."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan