Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

Sorry JR, but I don't think that there is 1 GM in the league that would take Reed, Woodson or Polamalu for 1 season over Byrd. All of those guys WERE great players, not good players but great players. Reed is still a good player and I don't think that the other 2 are right now. Polamalu is not even the best safety on the Steelers. Byrd is on the verge of being a great safety; he does everything well. I am not sure that he will ever get to the level that those guys were at but none of them are there anymore.

If Polamalu's decline was a result of age-related injuries, I wouldn't be making this argument. He had some tissue-related injuries in his calf, which never healed. Supposedly, he has trained differently and is over them. As a 32-year old safety, I still go with him, But I understand the consensus that would prefer the younger, healthier saftey in his prime.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why everyone so happy about this. Yes it's great he will be on the field, but does he really want to be on this team? Sounds to me something like we are renting him for a year. Not the way to build a franchise. He will be playing for a contract, which is good, but the guy cannot be happy being here at this moment. couldn't be.

What a weird interpretation of the situation.

+1

Ok apparently people need quotes from the defense as well.

"Extremely different. There's times, you know, I couldn't tell you what position I play exactly, because I really don't know." - Mario Williams

"It's like I'm a rookie all over again. I had to go to Office Depot and get more flash cards." - Bryan Scott

But you're probably right. He's probably going to pick it up in 2 weeks time without any game experience, and without any issues.

"Extremely different. There's times, you know, I couldn't tell you what position I play exactly, because I really don't know." - Mario Williams

"It's like I'm a rookie all over again. I had to go to Office Depot and get more flash cards." - Bryan Scott

But you're probably right. He's probably going to pick it up in 2 weeks time without any game experience, and without any issues.

I don't think anybody's saying that, but I think the assignments for an LB/S hybrid and a rush LB are going to be a bit more complex than those of the safety. That said, I'm glad he's here now vs. two weeks from now.

One presumes he'll get some game experience over those two weeks' time, though, and I can't imagine he has not been in contact with his teammates at all. I think he'll be fine.

Not sure why everyone so happy about this. Yes it's great he will be on the field, but does he really want to be on this team? Sounds to me something like we are renting him for a year. Not the way to build a franchise. He will be playing for a contract, which is good, but the guy cannot be happy being here at this moment. couldn't be.

I haven't heard one peep about Byrd not wanting to be in Buffalo. Except from people here who have no idea what these players are thinking

I don't think anybody's saying that, but I think the assignments for an LB/S hybrid and a rush LB are going to be a bit more complex than those of the safety. That said, I'm glad he's here now vs. two weeks from now.

One presumes he'll get some game experience over those two weeks' time, though, and I can't imagine he has not been in contact with his teammates at all. I think he'll be fine.

In which game? The final game against the 2nd and 3rd stringers? I doubt he's going to play one day after he shows up, so that rules out the Washington game.

Everyone is happy because the team got one of their best defensive players back. How is this confusing?

The team isn't "renting" him...he's been on the team for 4 years, and he's returning for a 5th. He also didn't get a no-tag clause, so there's nothing that prevents the team from keeping him for a 6th season.

And yes, he absolutely can be happy being here. Getting a guaranteed salary of $6.9M this year can do that.

What a weird interpretation of the situation.

It's not weird if you're familiar with this poster...he tends to accentuate the negative in every situation. To each their own I suppose.

You do realize that the front seven are the ones that are going to be moving and changing their positions and trying to confuse the offense about where they are rushing from, if they're rushing at all, and not really the safeties, don't you? (Granted, sometimes the safeties will blitz)

At least say, "of course."

In fact, the two safety positions are pretty much interchangeable in Pettine's defense, although the FS, Byrd, will stay back a little more than the SS. Safety may have a bunch of different responsibilities but it's going to be the easiest position to learn and to play in this defense. Plus, the players, and maybe even the team, have been keeping Byrd in the know to some extent.

In which game? The final game against the 2nd and 3rd stringers? I doubt he's going to play one day after he shows up, so that rules out the Washington game.

So is the problem that he won't face premier gameday talent, or that he won't learn the defense? He will still practice and learn the defense and get game time.

Relax.

So is the problem that he won't face premier gameday talent, or that he won't learn the defense? He will still practice and learn the defense and get game time.

Relax.

Part of learning the defense is executing it. That is why we have scrimmages and exhibition games. That is their entire purpose.

If you believe that learning a defense (or offense) is as simple as learning the playbook, then I would venture to say that you haven't played many organized sports.

You do realize that the front seven are the ones that are going to be moving and changing their positions and trying to confuse the offense about where they are rushing from, if they're rushing at all, and not really the safeties, don't you? (Granted, sometimes the safeties will blitz)

At least say, "of course."

In fact, the two safety positions are pretty much interchangeable in Pettine's defense, although the FS, Byrd, will stay back a little more than the SS. Safety may have a bunch of different responsibilities but it's going to be the easiest position to learn and to play in this defense. Plus, the players, and maybe even the team, have been keeping Byrd in the know to some extent.

If I remember correctly, the staff said that Byrd's position is who will be calling many of the plays...

You can argue with me if you want. But the fact of the matter is that he is far behind the other players and two weeks of practice is not going to catch him up.

Part of learning the defense is executing it. That is why we have scrimmages and exhibition games. That is their entire purpose.

If you believe that learning a defense (or offense) is as simple as learning the playbook, then I would venture to say that you haven't played many organized sports.

Please don't condescend. You can execute the defense in high-speed, full-pads practices, and you can go back and discuss directly with the coach what you are doing correctly and incorrectly. As a fifth year veteran I am pretty sure that Byrd will be able to handle all of this, and the fact is that what his opponents are doing is less likely to have changed, so studying them and game-planning them is going to be his priority. As Kelly says, the FS is not the most complicated position on the D.

Now, if you want to drum up a quote from Pettine showing me that the FS is calling the plays, I'm all years. Link, please.

Please don't condescend. You can execute the defense in high-speed, full-pads practices, and you can go back and discuss directly with the coach what you are doing correctly and incorrectly. As a fifth year veteran I am pretty sure that Byrd will be able to handle all of this, and the fact is that what his opponents are doing is less likely to have changed, so studying them and game-planning them is going to be his priority. As Kelly says, the FS is not the most complicated position on the D.

Now, if you want to drum up a quote from Pettine showing me that the FS is calling the plays, I'm all years. Link, please.

I believe that's Kiko. I've never heard of a safety calling defensive signals. A safety may set a certain coverage after the defense has been called and BEFORE the snap, but he has no playcalling duties, typically.

My bet is that Kiko has a green sticker on the back of his helmet.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I'll have to find it. I can't remember where I saw it.

Edit: Found it. I'm on my cell phone, and I'm having trouble copying the link so just google it. "It's a new system, and it's an intricate system. Safeties make a lot of calls, so he's missed that. (He's missed) a lot of the tempo of practice, so he's going to have some ground to make up.

And I never said Byrd wouldn't be able to handle it. I said he won't be able to do it in 2 weeks time.

Edited by microscopes