'Bored' teenagers murder college baseball player for 'fun&

BillsWatch

I can't be apathetic about this....It's a fellow Aussie. This boy was raised in Essendon, which is a suburb of Melbourne. He showed a lot of talent in junior Aussie Rules football, but baseball was his first love. Ironically, my Aussie Rules football team is the Essendon Bombers. Any of you who are parents....think about your child getting killed half way around the world "for fun". I'm sure this must hurt more than losing a son in combat.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Park, not Essendon, Not a great time to admit supporting the Bombers either, thats another off topic thread :P Go Pies! It's big news on all tv, print and paper. How does boredom equate to murder? Just when we'd seen a player with literally everything allegedly give it for a pointless killing, we see teens throw their lives for...

Just sickening. Every week there seems to be another wacko(s) trying to outdo last weeks

bizarre crime.

These sub-human cretins should never see the light of day nor have their names mentioned again.

I'm still ticked at the chit eating grin on that sick douche when one of his captive/tortured young woman

was brave enough in his sentencing to say it like it is. Keeping 3 woman locked up for 10 years and then not

taking any responsibility is pathetic. Can't wait, in a few years when someone finally gives him the "Dahmer broom handle"

treatment or poisons his baloney sando.

We apparently had a school shooting here in Atlanta yesterday...I couldn't even bother looking at the news. Just too much stuff like this going on.

Blamed gun possession/ culture.

It's a horrible story, but to blame guns on this is embarrassing on a multiple levels. Does anyone actually believe that a bunch of bored kids SO willing to murder someone wouldn't have found another way to kill him if they didn't have guns? Beat him? Stab him? Run over him?

When your parents are so useless that they raised you to be a miserable dirtbag, the gun isn't what sets you apart.

Edited by LABillzFan

This is a great subject to be discussed with good friends over a beer. My (brief) take is that society has changed drastically over the past 20 years. Kids are raised in a hyper-stimulated environment where it is considered necessary for them to be 'doing something'. As a child, if the if a child is sitting with his toys, parents may think ' oh he has nothing to do, put on the tv for him'. Then it is tablet PCs or phone or internet. CONstant stimulation to a point where a grown up kid is always expecting to be 'doing something'. Contrast that with 30 years back when I grew up. If I sat around, I would find something to do such as read, play with friends, call a friend for long conversations, hang out with friends, go for walks etc. I suppose I may have been 'bored' a lot but people around us never made a big deal of it and parents didnt label it as boredom. They did not think that it was their obligation to 'do something about it'. Yet, these days there is a terrible malady of said 'boredom' which leads to undesirable pursuits such as alcohol, drugs, violence etc.

This current situation is really really sad in that the value of a human life has been reduced to a few minutes of 'entertainment' where kids cannot distinguish real life from video games or movies. I am not going to blame guns or parenting on this. That is a different discussion.

I think this is an excellent post. We were at a family reunion Sunday @ Elma Meadows. Beautiful day, there is a basketball court, wiffle ball, nature walks but most of the kids were all complaining they were bored. I was telling my wife when we had these type of picnics when I was a kid the parents tell the kids what time dinner was & make sure your back & you would not see the kids all day. Kids today have no imagination & are married to electronics. If there is not a computer in front of them they are not happy. So many of the teenagers were just sitting on the benches fugging texting on their phone all afternoon. What a way to go thru life. I feel sorry for a lot of these kids, they don't have a clue.

I have to disagree... How many times have we seen murders like this and the reason they did it used... Not many... Yet, stuff like this has been going on since the dawn of time... It isn't video games, guns, modern society. How do you explain killings like this in the past? The only reason they can use the "bored" reason, we are more easy handing out punishment now... That, I do agree has changed drastically in the last 100 years.

Fair enough. But I was using this extreme example to express how sad and disgusted I feel about the general apathy of the teens. Granted I am stereo-typing but I live in a middle-class suburb (Carol Stream which you may know) and see public places devoid of children involved in outdoor activities. When my kids were younger, they would indeed play outside. But things changed over the past 5-8 years with the proliferation of electronic technology. Maybe things will loop back around and the kids will eventually see the light.

What a way to go thru life. I feel sorry for a lot of these kids, they don't have a clue.

I think we will see interpersonal skills reducing drastically over time. Which will mean that the people who are good at interacting with others and being social will be at a premium - both personally and professionally. As we move to a more service oriented industry, these abilities will be required at an increasing pace.

Anyway, Exiled and Gordio, as I said, this is a great conversation to be had face to face and not necessarily here on a message board.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Why haven't Al and Jesse weighed in on this?

This is so useful. Three kids, including a white one, senselessly killed a person. What is there to weigh in on? Or this just an excuse to race bait? Luckily, no groups of white people have have committed a crime.

Get rid of these POSs from society as soon as possible.

This is so useful. Three kids, including a white one, senselessly killed a person. What is there to weigh in on? Or this just an excuse to race bait? Luckily, no groups of white people have have committed a crime.

Apparently one of the 'kids' was dancing and laughing while he was being indicted

We apparently had a school shooting here in Atlanta yesterday...I couldn't even bother looking at the news. Just too much stuff like this going on.

That's the problem AJ. It's the news. You watch it & you don't want to leave your house. But stuff like this has been going on forever. I wasn't around in the 60s or 70s but they had their serial killers, riots, wars, & senseless murders.

My best advice is ignore the news (and places like PPP :) ) and realize that vast majority of human beings are good people. And just be prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

Apparently one of the 'kids' was dancing and laughing while he was being indicted

Well, lets have the courtroom laugh & dance when they get sentenced. And there is zero excuse to not sentence them as adults.

That's the problem AJ. It's the news. You watch it & you don't want to leave your house. But stuff like this has been going on forever. I wasn't around in the 60s or 70s but they had their serial killers, riots, wars, & senseless murders.

My best advice is ignore the news (and places like PPP :) ) and realize that vast majority of human beings are good people. And just be prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

I need to stay off Drudge, too! That place scares the hell out of me lately, man...one of these days someone will have to break into my house after not hearing from me for days, only to find me curled up in the fetal position while moaning incoherently :ph34r:

Don't want to get this all in a lather... BUT, the only white kid was NOT chraged w/1st degree murder... Maybe that would/will change? He was charged w/accessory to murder... Interesting... Not race baiting either.

Well, lets have the courtroom laugh & dance when they get sentenced. And there is zero excuse to not sentence them as adults.

I totally agree w/you C. People are just consumed with the news stuff. A couple guys @ work, that is all they do is just listen to News... Consumed by it. I am not saying be apathetic... But come on...

Was the weapon and vehicle stolen? Did they figure out where a vehicle and murder weapon came from and how a 15,16, & 17 old got them. Were they stolen?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Society just seems to be degrading. If someone wants to hurt others they will find a way whether it's with a gun, knife, car, home made explosives, a bat or whatever they can get their hands on.

Banning items isn't the solution otherwise we will end up banning every sharp object imaginable. Whether some of us have kids or not we must try to express to them how important respect is. Self esteem is nice but what does it mean if kids don't learn to respect others? We as a society must try our best to turn this thing around even if some parents aren't willing to. Do we have a choice? I suppose we can sit back and watch things unfold and go to crap and complain. I'd rather we all do something about it. The alternative is ****.

For the most part we've let society slide too far and we've been ok with it. It's up to us to make sure we have good neighborhoods. Befriend your neighbors and cultivate some sort of neighborly bond if you haven't already done so. If we rely on each other more so than on the government then we'd be in better shape. Be self reliant as much as you can. Rely on yourselves and the ones you trust.

For the most part we've let society slide too far and we've been ok with it. It's up to us to make sure we have good neighborhoods. Befriend your neighbors and cultivate some sort of neighborly bond if you haven't already done so. If we rely on each other more so than on the government then we'd be in better shape. Be self reliant as much as you can. Rely on yourselves and the ones you trust.

This is critical, but the larger problem -- and as far as I'm concerned, THE largest problem -- is the erosion of the family. It's absolutely stunning to me that, according to NBC News, 72% of black children are born out of wedlock. The numbers aren't much better for Native Americans (66%), Hispanics (53%) and whites (29%). Children demand guidance, and if it's not properly provided, they will seek it out elsewhere. Deadbeat fathers, probably born out of wedlock themselves, see what they do as the norm. Welfare mothers find they receive more money from the government if they have more children.

Think about that; the government literally has an incentive program for deadbeat parents to have more children.

It'll take generations to fix this, and that is only after the majority of Americans finally have had enough. That won't happen until you shut down the incentive program.

It starts with family. If you're not willing to manage one, you should not be starting one.

my oldest was conceived out of wedlock, but we married before he was born, had 2 more, now we are divorced...wedlock isn't the issue...the issue is as you said the guidance...you can be unmarried parents and raise the best kids society has ever seen, and on the other side you can have the menedez brothers....

This is critical, but the larger problem -- and as far as I'm concerned, THE largest problem -- is the erosion of the family. It's absolutely stunning to me that, according to NBC News, 72% of black children are born out of wedlock. The numbers aren't much better for Native Americans (66%), Hispanics (53%) and whites (29%). Children demand guidance, and if it's not properly provided, they will seek it out elsewhere. Deadbeat fathers, probably born out of wedlock themselves, see what they do as the norm. Welfare mothers find they receive more money from the government if they have more children.

Think about that; the government literally has an incentive program for deadbeat parents to have more children.

It'll take generations to fix this, and that is only after the majority of Americans finally have had enough. That won't happen until you shut down the incentive program.

It starts with family. If you're not willing to manage one, you should not be starting one.

Excellently said. Amongst African Americans, their is a direct correlation between the erosion of the family unit and the rise in crime amongst their people. Add to the that the value placed on the "gangster culture" and you've got a bleak outlook for black Americans.