'Bored' teenagers murder college baseball player for 'fun&

BillsWatch

Christopher Lane was a 22-year-old baseball player for East Central University in Oklahoma. Friday, he was killed in a completely random act, according to police. Three boys, ages 15, 16 and 17 are in police custody for the slaying.

"They saw Christopher go by, and one of them said: 'There's our target,'" [Duncan police chief Danny] Ford said. "The boy who has talked to us said: 'We were bored and didn't have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.'"

The local district attorney is expected to file first-degree murder charges Tuesday in Stephens County District Court. It's not yet known if the three individuals will be tried as juveniles or adults.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23227500/bored-teenagers-murder-college-baseball-player

I do not think there should be any question in this type of case. Try as adult.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an Australian and some are calling for Aust tourists to boycott US travel. I don't have a link, but the Herald-Sun quoted the former deputy PM. Blamed gun possession/ culture.

Queue up the NRA ...

However, the deeper issue to me is looking at the environment in which these bored kids were raised. What values and ethics are parents teaching or not teaching? The utter lack of respect for human life in this situation is far scarier than the idea that legally or otherwise these kids had access to a gun.

They could have killed the guy in a number of ways. The fact that they even thought to do so in such a random and senseless way is just mind numbing.

Queue up the NRA ...

However, the deeper issue to me is looking at the environment in which these bored kids were raised. What values and ethics are parents teaching or not teaching? The utter lack of respect for human life in this situation is far scarier than the idea that legally or otherwise these kids had access to a gun.

They could have killed the guy in a number of ways. The fact that they even thought to do so in such a random and senseless way is just mind numbing.

Yup; it's not the gun, it's the kids. We don't teach kids respect, ethics and responsibility anymore. We teach them 'self-esteem'. Sounds like these 3 had plenty of that.

http://www.cbssports...baseball-player

I do not think there should be any question in this type of case. Try as adult.

Makes me sick to my stomach...

When I think about how much this country has deteriorated over the last 20 years, I'm scared to death thinking about the next 20.

Yup; it's not the gun, it's the kids. We don't teach kids respect, ethics and responsibility anymore. We teach them 'self-esteem'. Sounds like these 3 had plenty of that.

Not so sure they had much self esteem but if they did a ong time rotting in jail at such a young age will call it into question.

Queue up the NRA ...

I am not trying to downplay this. It is NOT a sign of the times... That is why I brought up Leopold and Loeb... That case happened in our neck of the woods on the SouthEast side of Chicago. A senseless murder that happened almost 90 years ago and was as every much a shocker as it is today. A time when we were "purer?" Then it was a sign of affluent young men w/nothing to do and too much time on their hands. Hasn't it always been like this throughout human history? Too much time on their hands, giving into pure evil? Power control, nothing to do while questioning what it "feels like" to do something as awful as this. It is nothing that we as a society are doing wrong. Every once in a while a heinous story comes along like this, it is part of the twisted side of the human condition, just be glad it doesn't happen more often... Well maybe it does and we just don't know about it!

Not so sure they had much self esteem but if they did a ong time rotting in jail at such a young age will call it into question.

On the Leopold and Loeb front... The crime happened in 1924... One was killed in prison (the MOFO got shived) in the 1930's... The other lived into the 1960's, dies in prison also.

Makes me sick to my stomach...

When I think about how much this country has deteriorated over the last 20 years, I'm scared to death thinking about the next 20.

Again... That is what people were saying in 1924. How things have changed, but they really haven't changed @ all.

No sense worrying yourself AJ. Really, again... I am not down playing it. Even the Puritans worried about society going to hell in a handbasket!

I am not trying to downplay this. It is NOT a sign of the times... That is why I brought up Leopold and Loeb... That case happened in our neck of the woods on the SouthEast side of Chicago. A senseless murder that happened almost 90 years ago and was as every much a shocker as it is today. A time when we were "purer?" Then it was a sign of affluent young men w/nothing to do and too much time on their hands. Hasn't it always been like this throughout human history? Too much time on their hands, giving into pure evil? Power control, nothing to do while questioning what it "feels like" to do something as awful as this. It is nothing that we as a society are doing wrong. Every once in a while a heinous story comes along like this, it is part of the twisted side of the human condition, just be glad it doesn't happen more often... Well maybe it does and we just don't know about it!

On the Leopold and Loeb front... The crime happened in 1924... One was killed in prison (the MOFO got shived) in the 1930's... The other lived into the 1960's, dies in prison also.

Again... That is what people were saying in 1924. How things have changed, but they really haven't changed @ all.

No sense worrying yourself AJ. Really, again... I am not down playing it. Even the Puritans worried about society going to hell in a handbasket!

To your points serial murder is probably as much an act of senseless and infathomable violence.

Chicago certainly has a violent history that carries forward to today, no?

To your points serial murder is probably as much an act of senseless and infathomable violence.

Chicago certainly has a violent history that carries forward to today, no?

Sure. It sure does. Chicago too, but don't all places? Think of the powerful throughout history and society... Haven't there always been evil? Especially among the "bored." Kings and Queens... Roman emperors come to mind. Even the "bored" Roman masses channeled that evil in different ways.

Again... I am not downplaying the incident... I am just not shocked. And by no means is this incident a reflection on society or where it is moving. As evil as it is... It is very human.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

boredom was the subject of this weeks lecture by Dr. Vogel on Dexter...she said boredom is what leads to all the trouble....art imitating life??

This is a great subject to be discussed with good friends over a beer. My (brief) take is that society has changed drastically over the past 20 years. Kids are raised in a hyper-stimulated environment where it is considered necessary for them to be 'doing something'. As a child, if the if a child is sitting with his toys, parents may think ' oh he has nothing to do, put on the tv for him'. Then it is tablet PCs or phone or internet. CONstant stimulation to a point where a grown up kid is always expecting to be 'doing something'. Contrast that with 30 years back when I grew up. If I sat around, I would find something to do such as read, play with friends, call a friend for long conversations, hang out with friends, go for walks etc. I suppose I may have been 'bored' a lot but people around us never made a big deal of it and parents didnt label it as boredom. They did not think that it was their obligation to 'do something about it'. Yet, these days there is a terrible malady of said 'boredom' which leads to undesirable pursuits such as alcohol, drugs, violence etc.

This current situation is really really sad in that the value of a human life has been reduced to a few minutes of 'entertainment' where kids cannot distinguish real life from video games or movies. I am not going to blame guns or parenting on this. That is a different discussion.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

This is a great subject to be discussed with good friends over a beer. My (brief) take is that society has changed drastically over the past 20 years. Kids are raised in a hyper-stimulated environment where it is considered necessary for them to be 'doing something'. As a child, if the if a child is sitting with his toys, parents may think ' oh he has nothing to do, put on the tv for him'. Then it is tablet PCs or phone or internet. CONstant stimulation to a point where a grown up kid is always expecting to be 'doing something'. Contrast that with 30 years back when I grew up. If I sat around, I would find something to do such as read, play with friends, call a friend for long conversations, hang out with friends, go for walks etc. I suppose I may have been 'bored' a lot but people around us never made a big deal of it and parents didnt label it as boredom. They did not think that it was their obligation to 'do something about it'. Yet, these days there is a terrible malady of said 'boredom' which leads to undesirable pursuits such as alcohol, drugs, violence etc.

This current situation is really really sad in that the value of a human life has been reduced to a few minutes of 'entertainment' where kids cannot distinguish real life from video games or movies. I am not going to blame guns or parenting on this. That is a different discussion.

I have to disagree... How many times have we seen murders like this and the reason they did it used... Not many... Yet, stuff like this has been going on since the dawn of time... It isn't video games, guns, modern society. How do you explain killings like this in the past? The only reason they can use the "bored" reason, we are more easy handing out punishment now... That, I do agree has changed drastically in the last 100 years. You are seeing this in the common ranks because people have way too much time on their hands. Joy killing was only really for the powerful (can get away with it) @ one time... Again, not that it didn't happen through all levels of a society...

I wish I could feel that way, man...I just can't. I've seen apathy and indifference increase substantially over the last 20 years. I would love to have the same confidence you do, cause now that I'm in my 40s I think about what it will be like 20 or 30 years from now when I'm a senior citizen and most likely relying on others for some degree of support. I can structure my life any way I want to right now, but the idea of having to be reliant on anyone else for my well being scares the bejeezus out of me.

good points Exiled. I'd like to point out that not only has the world been like this for the history of mankind (think of the Egyptians or Romans). It's also just as common now than it was back at the turn of the century. The only difference, is that with social media and out "got to have it now" type of news postings and instant information received by wireless Internet, cell phones, emails make it known instantly. A story like this 100 years ago might have nevertheless it out of the local news. Now it's a worldwide event.

I do believe society is in a downfall but that mostly because I think the Internet, cell phones, computers have ruined the minds of our youth. When I was a kid I was outside all day playing games and stuff like that. Kids now days are online in their rooms, playing video games and talking to pedephiles on the Internet.