LB Nigel Bradham Charged with Majijuana Possesion

This is a good point. I have wondered how it affects other jobs in those states now too. For instance most government jobs require drug testing so does that mean in Washington State and Colorado you can still be refused employment for a legal activity you might partake in on your day off?

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds once the rest of the country catches up with this legal reform.

20 states now allow medical marijuana. That includes 11 NFL teams.

PTR

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is going to happen to him. My sons buddy just got busted with a couple of ounces back in the spring and nothing came of it. Judge read him the riot act and tried to scare him a bit, but in the end nothing came of it other than a couple of classes. Not a fine or record of any kind attached to his name.

It's funny seeing everybody get worked up over nothing.

Nothing is going to happen to him. My sons buddy just got busted with a couple of ounces back in the spring and nothing came of it. Judge read him the riot act and tried to scare him a bit, but in the end nothing came of it other than a couple of classes. Not a fine or record of any kind attached to his name.

How many games did you son's buddy get suspended? :nana:

This is a good point. I have wondered how it affects other jobs in those states now too. For instance most government jobs require drug testing so does that mean in Washington State and Colorado you can still be refused employment for a legal activity you might partake in on your day off?

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds once the rest of the country catches up with this legal reform.

Sure, if you are hired with the knowledge that drug testing will occur that doesn't change.

20 states now allow medical marijuana. That includes 11 NFL teams.

PTR

And what does this have to do with this case?

Oh and how can this be a case of DWB when he had tinted windows? Was the cop driving towards him and saw him through the windshield? I have not read every post here so this may be the case. But unless he did its very hard to see the person inside especially at night.

Edited by Chef Jim

---

Also, to some of the other points made recently: I don't know exactly where he was on Sheridan, but near UB you see plates from all of over the country at all times of day. He may have been on his way back from chillin with a college crowd (he is 23 after all).

Someone pointed out that Tonawanda cops are everywhere which is probably more indicative of why he was pulled over than any other single factor. They use traffic stops as a big source of revenue. Get a ticket, but plea down to a non moving violation, and no real harm to the driver except for the inconvenience and their wallet becomes a little lighter.

Once he was pulled over- and I don't want to accuse the officer of anything - it could certainly be the case that the "strong smell" was imagined/exaggerated, since only a small amount of contraband was found, and there was no DUI/DWI charge.

Bradham may have also thought if he came clean, he'd get off with a warning. Again, I don't want to accuse the officer of anything, but I can't help but wonder if the interaction would've played out differently if he was white, regardless of why he was initially pulled over.

It's decriminalized in ny too. That still doesn't make it legal. As for the tint that's just an excuse to pull someone over at 2 am. See if they're drunk or not or in this case see if they've got drugs.

I get pulled over for my tints all the time but never have gotten a ticket...its a 13 year old vehicle that I bought 8 years ago in Ohio that came with tints so I don't think they want to go through it for something that would likely get tossed by the judge...

A few times they let me know they were going to search my vehicle and I responded "What's your probable cause?"

They stammered out some nonsense clearly flustered I knew the law and my rights and I told them if they want to get a search warrant they can do so but that's the only way they would be searching my vehicle.

Their response "Well, you certainly know your rights, have a nice day"

No reason for them to search my vehicle, I have a shirt and tie on coming home from work. I have nothing to hide, I don't drink and have never even smoked a cigarette but its the principal...they think they can take advantage of people who don't know their rights and that's just wrong.

Bradham obviously was probable cause to search the vehicle if the officer smelled Marijuana tho, so that really wouldn't apply to him...

My issue is you are supposed to be in Rochester at camp, wtf are you doing in Buffalo at 2am?

Edited by matter2003

Serious question (and please pardon me if it's addressed somewhere in the previous ~200 posts): Bradham has to deal with the league's personal conduct policy as a result of this. If he played for the Broncos or Seahawks (in states where marijuana is legal), would his possession of a personal-use quantity still be a violation of that policy? In other terms, does the NFL policy prohibit breaking the law, or does it prohibit possession of marijuana?

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Sure, if you are hired with the knowledge that drug testing will occur that doesn't change.

Right, but the question is will people still be tested for something that has become legal or will marijuana be removed from the "bad" list?

I find it funny they get worked up about weed, but its perfectly fine for doctor's to prescribe medications that are much more dangerous and have side effects that include "death" many times...

Oh how we are so willing to be herded up like cattle, put in a pen and sent up the conveyor belt to the slaughterhouse by Big Pharma and the FDA...

I find it funny they get worked up about weed, but its perfectly fine for doctor's to prescribe medications that are much more dangerous and have side effects that include "death" many times...

Oh how we are so willing to be herded up like cattle, put in a pen and sent up the conveyor belt to the slaughterhouse by Big Pharma and the FDA...

my cattle find that offensive...

Serious question (and please pardon me if it's addressed somewhere in the previous ~200 posts): Bradham has to deal with the league's personal conduct policy as a result of this. If he played for the Broncos or Seahawks (in states where marijuana is legal), would his possession of a personal-use quantity still be a violation of that policy? In other terms, does the NFL policy prohibit breaking the law, or does it prohibit possession of marijuana?

The NFL prohibits the use of marijuana, so if one of those players failed a drug test, the "legality" of his use goes out the window.

Since it is unlikely that a player in one of those states would be cited with a violation or arrested for possession, the NFL would never know- but a player using marijuana would still have to beat the NFL's drug test.

So to answer your last question, the NFL policy prohibits breaking the law AND the use of marijuana. In other words, a player can use marijuana legally, but still be subject to discipline by the NFL.

See page 20: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

People keep using the word "profiling" and it makes me laugh. Do you even know that criminal profiling is a completely legitimate/legal tactic used by law enforcement? Besides, how is it profiling (in your negative understanding of the practice) when there is PC to stop based on dark tinted windows? Seems more like a pretextual stop to me. Which is, BTW, another perfectly legitimate tactic.

Yes, let's cut one of the best hitters on our D. We have so many good LB'ers we can afford to get rid of them.

PTR

Not to mention he was one of the highest graded coverage LBs in the NFL by PFF last year successfully defending 83% of passes thrown his way...

1. It's still against the law.

2. Both.

See # 1 above.

Edited by Captain Caveman