Dustin Keller & Jairus Byrd...

cage

Wow,... I assume everyone has seen/read about the gravity of Dustin Keller's injury on Saturday. Torn ACL, MCL, PCL, with a dislocated kneecap... in a preseason game! Lost for the year and early speculation that he'll never be the same and whether he would even be able to play again.

Then the "wow" part about it that I had no idea. He signed with the Dolphins on a 1 year contract!

I have no idea why he would do such a thing, but that takes us back to Byrd and the reluctance to accept Franchise deals by players. I don't blame them, most players only have one shot to get paid and they have to hold strong for that to happen.

I don't understand why there's a deadline for signing a long-term deal? This injury probably makes it less likely that Byrd will come in anytime soon....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then, he should have signed a long term deal when he could have. Now he's stuck with a 1 year deal, which was his active choice. Still don't feel bad for the situation he imposed on himself.

I suppose not.... I guess the main take-away is that this makes him less likely to show up anytime soon

Some players are only offered one year deals and have no choice.

True, but I doubt that happened in Keller's case. He probably didn't like the long term offers he was getting and figured Miami was spending a ton, should be good, and help him score a big deal next year. He gambled and lost big time. But that's how it goes sometimes.

True, but I doubt that happened in Keller's case. He probably didn't like the long term offers he was getting and figured Miami was spending a ton, should be good, and help him score a big deal next year. He gambled and lost big time. But that's how it goes sometimes.

If he was smart, he did what many professional athletes do and insured himself against major injury with Lloyd's of London.

Some players are only offered one year deals and have no choice.

Exactly...Keller played 8 games in 2012...He was coming off an injury plagued season...

To the OP...Besides the fact that they were both UFA's, I really don't see where Keller's situation is anything like Byrd's...Plus...Byrd has $7 million dollars guaranteed this season, injury or not... B-)

Bills fan or not. I hate to see this. Keller was a likeable guy who didn't cause much trouble which is a big contrast to many other TE's

I was half expecting Miami to make a big push on Tony Gonzalez but that never happened and he is back with Atlanta.

Lengths of deals aren't so much the thing as the guaranteed bonus money that accompanies said deals, but the principle remains the same. Keller has probably seen his last big NFL payday and will be hoping to catch back on to a roster to rebuild his value and make just a little more money, if any at all.

Much as I hate the Phins, this really sucks and is something I don't like seeing happen to anyone.

There is a difference between him and Byrd. Byrd has most likely been offered a good and reasonable long term contract from the Bills and he said no. He thinks he should be the highest paid safety in the NFL and there is just no way in hell. Keller was a dumb ass accepting just a 1 year deal.

Now Keller will be able to get all his injury stuff paid, surgery, rehab etc as it happened in a game aka on the job. That said I am not sure if they will pay his salary for the year or reach an injury settlement with him and let him try to sign elsewhere.

Personally I think they should be on the hook for all of it, IF so then he was to make 4.5 mill this year I believe? 2.25 million is more than enough to retire on IF you do it right.

Edited by Kellyto83TD

There is a difference between him and Byrd. Byrd has most likely been offered a good and reasonable long term contract from the Bills and he said no. He thinks he should be the highest paid safety in the NFL and there is just no way in hell. Keller was a dumb ass accepting just a 1 year deal.

I don't think it's fair to say that we know the details on any of that. We don't know if the Bills have ever offered a multiyear deal, what the guaranteed money details are, or what the years are. We don't know if he thinks he should be the highest paid safety. Until Parker or Whaley go on the record with any of this stuff - which would be stupid in a negotiation process - we simply don't know. I suspect you're right that the Bills feel they have offered Byrd a reasonable multiyear deal, but I also recall years being a question - that Byrd's camp wanted a chance at one last FA window in his early 30s. As for Keller -- it's a risk, isn't it? A lot of guys take a one-year deal to improve leverage the next season and get a better multiyear deal the following season. It doesn't always work out for the player.

Now Keller will be able to get all his injury stuff paid, surgery, rehab etc as it happened in a game aka on the job. That said I am not sure if they will pay his salary for the year or reach an injury settlement with him and let him try to sign elsewhere.

Personally I think they should be on the hook for all of it, IF so then he was to make 4.5 mill this year I believe? 2.25 million is more than enough to retire on IF you do it right.

And if you don't have crippling injuries that make it difficult on a day-to-day basis.

Wow,... I assume everyone has seen/read about the gravity of Dustin Keller's injury on Saturday. Torn ACL, MCL, PCL, with a dislocated kneecap... in a preseason game! Lost for the year and early speculation that he'll never be the same and whether he would even be able to play again.

Then the "wow" part about it that I had no idea. He signed with the Dolphins on a 1 year contract!

I have no idea why he would do such a thing, but that takes us back to Byrd and the reluctance to accept Franchise deals by players. I don't blame them, most players only have one shot to get paid and they have to hold strong for that to happen.

I don't understand why there's a deadline for signing a long-term deal? This injury probably makes it less likely that Byrd will come in anytime soon....

The Byrd should of signed a 5 year deal with the Bills that would of paid him at minimum $20 million in guarantees.. If he holds out til week 10 he will only receive less then 1/2 of that. .

But somehow he thinks its worth the risk and holds out for $7 million franchise 1 year deal and will have to participate at some time, the later he shows up the less he gets.. Way too much risk for the silly pride of being the highest paid S

Much as I hate the Phins, this really sucks and is something I don't like seeing happen to anyone.

Truedat. But, if somebody said "This injury is going to happen this weekend to an NFL team. I'll let you choose the team," which team would you choose?

I'd choose Miami. Instantly. Most fans younger than 35 would probably choose New England.

And nobody cares about the Jest currently, because they are pretty much "on the clock," locked in a pitched battle with Jacksonville in the "Clown for Clowney" race.

Edited by maddenboy

Truedat. But, if somebody said "This injury is going to happen this weekend to an NFL team. I'll let you choose the team," which team would you choose?

I'd choose Miami. Instantly. Most fans younger than 35 would probably choose New England.

And nobody cares about the Jest currently, because they are pretty much "on the clock," locked in a pitched battle with Jacksonville in the "Clown for Clowney" race.

Nah, I just don't go there. I'd rather see the teams as constituted fail and the Bills best them.

Now, if Brady has to be out against *some team*, and it happens to be ours... I ain't complaining.

Personally I think they should be on the hook for all of it, IF so then he was to make 4.5 mill this year I believe? 2.25 million is more than enough to retire on IF you do it right can walk.

(fixed)

Not sure 2.25 is enough. Its gotta last him at least 50 years. And its 2.25 BEFORE tax.

He's gotta walk to be able to work.

Because by "retire" I assume you mean "fund his retirement nest-egg for 30 years from now, when he actually retires from working." And that's not counting buying a house for his mama, putting his kids through college, fending off his cousin who wants to open a pizza shop, his sister who "needs" her nails done every week and a touch-up for her weave every month, etc.

Edited by maddenboy

NFL --unlike other leagues the money generally isnt guarenteed. Even if a player signs a LTC..its really the certain money being paid that really matters.

I didn't catch who the POS was that made that gutless "tackle", but it was a chickenspit, scumbag play and I hope the karmic retribution he has coming is particularly gruesome and exceedingly painful.