My 52

Justice

I like it. A few changes I would make.

First of all the roster is 53. So I'll add Rogers right now.

I'd rather have Kaufman in a heartbeat over Smith. I still think he's a waste of a roster space.

I think Dickerson makes it over Smith at TE. He's been practicing as a WR and we all know he can play FB. I think he fills many roles. He's a good choice.

I really like what Summers has done but its going to be touch tough to not take Gaskins at this point. This week will allow us to decide.

If rather have Meeks than Robey. I think????

I think I agree with all of this.

Its a good thing I (sometimes try to ) read all posts before I post something myself, so i dont repeat or plagarize.

I think the bubble decision will be Troupe vs. Searcy.

Carry on, sir.

Edited by maddenboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The discussion re; 53 can be interesting and some my questions already covered,.like traiding B. Smith..What is going on with Caldwell? And, about PS, you have to cut the guy first;then re-sigh him,they dont automatically go to the PS. So a number of Bills could be exposed.

I've seen enough. Here's my prediction on our top 52.

QB

Manuel

Kolb

Tuel

RB

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Summers

TE

Chandler

Gragg

Smith

WR

Johnson

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Easley

Smith

Hogan

OL

Glenn

Brown

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young

Legursky

DL

M. Williams

K. Williams

Dareus

Carrington

Branch

Ross

Blatnick

Gilbert

LB

Hughes

Lawson

Alonso

Moats

Bradham

Dowtin

Scott

DB

Gilmore

McKelvin

Brooks

Rogers

Butler

Byrd

A. Williams

D. Williams

Robey

ST

Hopkins

Powell

Sanborn

Practice Squad

Kaufman

Chibane

Meeks

Pough

D. Rogers: I doubt that he will clear waivers, but if he does he'll be on the PS.

Overall nice job. Appreciate the effort

Few notes:

We don't need to leave spots for PUP guys like Hairston until they return

Ditto guys who haven't signed

Interesting 1-sentence evaluation of all players containing some info on PS performance, which is the underlooked factor in choosing between backups.

Why can't Jim Kelly help in that regard? I can't see the point in using a roster spot on a QB no one wants to see in a game.

PTR

1) He's not a coach. Honestly, if I'm Marrone, I kind of don't mind if Kelly is around enjoying the scenery, but I'm not having him provide counseling sessions for my young QB. These guys get too much information as it is to be worrying about another voice in the room - especially one that hasn't played QB in the NFL in 16 years.

2) Tuel still hasn't seen a first-string defense.

3) Has Brad Smith even taken one practice snap? Disaster QB is called what it is for a reason. It's like when your utility infielder is pitching relief in the 19th inning. You hope for the best and know that the odds are not very good for you. I'm not sure Brad Smith would do much better than any of these other guys who have played QB in high school at this point. He just hasn't gotten QB reps.

Good job. Allow me to make a few tweaks and add a 53rd player.

QB

Manuel

Kolb

Tuel

Note: Manuel is easily our best QB. That's a good thing. Hopefully Kolb will stop playing like he's groggy. Tuel is a keeper and another young QB to groom.

RB

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Summers

Note: These are our four best RBs. Choice is a solid #3. Summers is a monster blocker, can catch the ball out of the backfield, and is an excellent ST player. I think the team needs a big back for short yardage/goal line situations.

TE

Chandler

L. Smith

Note: As long as Chandler is healthy I think the Bills only keep two TEs so they can keep seven WRs. Gragg goes to PS. Don't be surprised to see the Bill pick up a TE via the waiver wire after all teams make their final cuts. I would look to add a vet TE. Dickerson and Gragg are not ready to contribute at the NFL level.

WR

S. Johnson

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Hogan

B. Smith

D. Rogers

Note: Woods is one of my favorite players. Hogan earns a spot because of his consistency. Rogers stays because of his potential. Smith stays because of his versatility. Easley and Kaufman go to PS.

OL

Glenn

Brown

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young

Legursky

Note: These are our best eight OLs. Don't be surprised to see the Bill pick up an OL via the waiver wire after all teams make their final cuts.

DL

K. Williams

Dareus

Carrington

Branch

Ross

Troup

Note: C. Bryant could supplant Troup because he's more agile.

OLB

M. Williams

Lawson

Hughes

Blatnick

Dowtin

Note: Blatnik is a steal. Dowtin is very athletic. Westerman may still have a shot.

ILB

Alonso

Bradham

Moats

B. Scott

C. White

Note: Another solid ILB is needed. Don't be surprised to see the Bills pick up an ILB via the waiver wire after all teams make their final cuts. C. White makes it because of his ST ability and because the team is woefully thin at ILB. Pough goes to the PS.

CB

Gilmore

McKelvin

Brooks

Butler

Robey

Rogers

Note: The Bills have ignored the need for another CB or even two. Don't be surprised to see the Bill pick up a CB via the waiver wire after all teams make their final cuts. Rogers makes it because the Bills are woefully thin at CB.

S

Byrd

A. Williams

Searcy

D. Williams

Note: Meeks goes to the PS.

ST

Hopkins

Powell

Sanborn

Note: Hopkins started kicking the ball consistently out of the end zone on KOs in the Minny game. Lindell never stood a chance.

I can't see a situation where they wouldn't want a veteran QB around in case Manuel were to go down. Just the value of having a veteran to coach up Manuel is invaluable at this early stage of his career.

And does Kolb really qualify as that? He's played what - 30 games?

Easley can't go to the PS...Kauffmann can.

Moreover, Easley has been doing well on S/T - he makes the roster.

I think Smith is gone.

I've seen enough. Here's my prediction on our top 52.

QB

Manuel

Kolb

Tuel

RB

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Summers

TE

Chandler

Gragg

Smith

WR

Johnson

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Easley

Smith Rogers

Hogan

OL

Glenn

Brown

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young Turnley

Legursky

Sanders

DL

M. Williams

K. Williams

Dareus

Carrington

Branch

Ross Troup

Blatnick

Gilbert

LB

Hughes

Lawson

Alonso

Moats

Bradham

Dowtin

Scott

DB

Gilmore

McKelvin

Brooks

Rogers Meeks

Butler

Byrd

A. Williams

D. Williams

Robey

ST

Hopkins

Powell

Sanborn

Practice Squad

Kaufman

Chibane

Pough

Sampson

Gaskins

Heath

Provo

Fixed

Edited by Armchair GM

my take on the 53..has anyone heard anything good or bad on Zebrie Sanders at all??..just wondering how he's doing..was hoping for more from him...I think they keep 3 QB's till at least week 2/3 to make sure EJ is full speed, then they might P.S. Tuel and then bring back someone..maybe OL or DL....will be interesting to see who gets replaced by other teams cuts...also, how has Scott done in pre-seaon?..haven't really heard much from or on him

I think that's the biggest hole in an otherwise decent shot at the roster--I'd be suprised if they kept a total of only 9 OL, especially when you include the PS. I think they will probably keep one more OL on the roster (center/guard) or on the PS for a total of 10. Edited by TPS

I think that's the biggest hole in an otherwise decent shot at the roster--I'd be suprised if they kept a total of only 9 OL, especially when you include the PS. I think they will probably keep one more OL on the roster (center/guard) or on the PS for a total of 10.

Every position coach wants one more guy. They can't all get one. 8 or 9 OLmen is pretty typical, looking for versetility as a plus.

Easley and Hogan have reportedly been taking a lot of special teams snaps. Kaufman has not. Rogers seems mixed there. I would be shocked if Rogers makes the team over either Easley or Hogan.

Why can't Jim Kelly help in that regard? I can't see the point in using a roster spot on a QB no one wants to see in a game.

PTR

I'm still not clear why Tuel and Brad Smith are higher on people's "STARTING QB WHEN EJ ISN'T" list. Is that because you think they really give a better chance to win games? I definitely like Kolb as the veteran clipboard holder with EJ starting 19 times and winning a new Chevrolet in February, but in the event that there is a game he doesn't start, right now I would much rather have Kolb start it than either of the other guys, and I think his track record is getting thrown out based on some preseason play (insert Iverson quote now).

Last year he beat the Patriots, Eagles, and Dolphins in consecutive weeks scoring 20+ each time. In previous years when not hurt he has another 6 wins with 100+ QB rating. I know he isn't what the Cardinals had hoped for, and I know he has a track record of being fragile, but I think he clearly gives us the best chance to win any individual game not started by EJ, and I want to try to win each game this year regardless of QB or our place in standings or draft.

I'm not sure how Kolb got so deep in our doghouse...probably just the excitement over our franchise QB of the future and the Fitzpatrick like guy who stands in the way of that era starting, but he isn't standing in EJ's way, and is our best backup option. I'm pretty sure that at this point in his career he is aware he probably isn't one of the top 32 QBs in the league and being the best backup QB, clipboard holder, and mentor he can be is something he can handle without controversy, and if so, I think he is a better option to do so than our undrafted rookie, our WR, and than anybody currently on the waiver wire.

Every position coach wants one more guy. They can't all get one. 8 or 9 OLmen is pretty typical, looking for versetility as a plus.

Easley and Hogan have reportedly been taking a lot of special teams snaps. Kaufman has not. Rogers seems mixed there. I would be shocked if Rogers makes the team over either Easley or Hogan.

If they keep only 8 on the active roster (as the OP suggested), I think they would want more than 1 OL on the PS. Certainly it comes down to who you don't want to lose, but also need. I for one will be surprised if they add only 1 OL to the PS with 8 on the active roster.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen enough. Here's my prediction on our top 52. EDITED 8/31/13. So far I only have two players that were released by the Bills. The rest are on injured reserve.

QB

Manuel

Kolb -IR Thad Lewis

Tuel

RB

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Summers

TE

Chandler

Gragg

Smith

WR

Johnson

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Easley

Smith-IR Spot taken by DL Izaan

Hogan

OL

Glenn

Brown

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston-IR-Welch

Young

Legursky

DL

M. Williams

K. Williams

Dareus

Carrington

Branch

Ross

Blatnick

Gilbert-CUT-Corbin Bryant

Troup-I didn't have Troup making the team.

LB

Hughes

Lawson

Alonso

Moats

Bradham

Dowtin

Westerman-I didn't have this one.

DB

Gilmore

McKelvin

Brooks

Rogers

Butler-CUT-Meeks

Byrd

A. Williams

D. Williams

Robey

Searcy

ST

Hopkins

Powell

Sanborn

Practice Squad

Kaufman

Chibane

Meeks

Pough

D. Rogers: I doubt that he will clear waivers, but if he does he'll be on the PS.

BTW. The Bills aren't at 53 yet. Two more cuts coming.

Edited by NoJustice

I've seen enough. Here's my prediction on our top 52. EDITED 8/31/13. So far I only have two players that were released by the Bills. The rest are on injured reserve.

QB

Manuel

Kolb -IR Thad Lewis released. Skelton?

Tuel

RB

Spiller

Jackson

Choice

Summers

TE

Chandler

Gragg

Smith

WR

Johnson

Woods

Graham

Goodwin

Easley

Smith-IR Spot taken by DL Izaan Cross-cut

Hogan

OL

Glenn

Brown

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston-IR-Welch

Young

Legursky

DL

M. Williams

K. Williams

Dareus

Carrington

Branch

Ross

Blatnick-CUT

Gilbert-CUT-Corbin Bryant

Troup-I didn't have Troup making the team. released after all. Got that right.

LB

Hughes

Lawson

Alonso

Moats

Bradham

Dowtin

Westerman-I didn't have this one.

DB

Gilmore

McKelvin

Brooks

Rogers

Butler-CUT-Meeks

Byrd

A. Williams

D. Williams

Robey

Searcy

ST

Hopkins

Powell

Sanborn

Practice Squad

Kaufman

Chibane

Meeks

Pough

BTW. The Bills aren't at 53 yet. Two more cuts coming.

We're at 50 now. Looks like we're going shopping.

Edited by NoJustice