Jerry Hughes

Reading the Colts board it sounds like most of them are happy that Hughes is gone and think that Sheppard is an upgrade. Here are some good examples:

This is honestly the most lopsided trade of the year, and it's not even close. Hughes only has potential, Sheppard has capitalized on his!

What a great trade for us Sheppard was one of the best young run defending ILB's in the league. Hughes showed flashes as a pass rusher but he was bad against the run.

Wow. Awesome move by Grigs here. Can't believe we actually got a decent player for Hughes. Fantastic!

Traded a bust for a serviceable player and saved 1 million on the cap? In Grigson I trust.

Personally I think it was a good trade for both teams. We needed an outside rusher and they were looking for an inside run stopper.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys crack me up.

If this season plays out like the rest everyone that's replied as such in this thread will be calling for the FO heads that can't draft and made this trade.

Nothing like a massive overreaction to preseason.

By that logic Goodwin will post 8 KRs for TDs this season too.

I'm sorry, but it's so funny.

Naw. Trading a non-factor like Shep for a player that may potentially add to a suspect pass rush is good business. Stop pissing in my Cheerios.

Can I be somewhere in the middle? Seeing Hughes beat Kalil on the 1st play raised my eyebrows a bit. You can't help but be enthusiastic about seeing that sack and the chop fumble later on in the game. It shows aggression in a way that has been rare in Buffalo.

Yet, it is preseason. I'm not prepared to call it a good trade until we see the relevant part of the picture (the reg season). Maybe Shep turns out to be a tackling monster in Indy (doubt it). Maybe Hughes peaked on August 16 (who knows). All I can say is this offseason is WAY more interesting than any of the past.....oh I can't remember that far back.

I have hunch we won't be hearing much from T-Ghost and his ilk this season.

PTR

Something always goes wrong in every game and every season. There will be plenty of ilk to go around.

The deal was an OLB/DE for an ILB---with buffalo drafting an ILB they felt he was expendable and Hughes was stuck behind depth after Indy switched to a 3-4 system under their new coach last year.

different perspective on this:

. http://forums.colts....elvin-sheppard/

Thanks for the link. I haven't read it yet but Hughes was no longer "stuck behind depth" as they let Dwight Freeney walk.

Why would a team trade away a pass rusher on the heels of saying goodbye to their greatest pass rusher of all time?

Personally I think it was a good trade for both teams. We needed an outside rusher and they were looking for an inside run stopper.

Not to be a jerk but since when is Kelvin Sheppard an inside run stopper?

He certainly wasn't in Buffalo.

Can I be somewhere in the middle? Seeing Hughes beat Kalil on the 1st play raised my eyebrows a bit.

Yep.

Hughes beat a good tackle on the one sack. He doesn't have the power aspect to his game but he's a bit short and can get underneath some of these tall tackles pretty well. It looks like Hughes can get engulfed and wired to a blocker but with a running start and space to operate, he's a nice weapon. He's good in space and a small target for a pass blocker.

I'm still trying to figure out who Hughes reminds me of.

Not to be a jerk but since when is Kelvin Sheppard an inside run stopper?

He had his share of tackles and I certainly wouldn't consider him a cover guy. So Indy didn't take him for his drop back abilities, it was to stop the run. Oh, and he played in the inside. :D

5 year deal. Late first so really cheap regardless of structure. Whole thing was like 10m and likely hit none of his escalators along the way. Should be two years on the cheap.

But then Parker sends back "your d could be looking better"

Unless someone's challenging to take byrds starting spot, a backup olb playing well isn't going to force their hand. Hell be back in about 2 weeks anyway.

Not force the hand.

Look i think he will be back and back with out any concessions by the Bills. They will tag him again next offseason if they want to. Parker and Byrd will reside themselves to the fact that the Bills control Byrds destiny for the next two years and be done with it.

Reading the Colts board it sounds like most of them are happy that Hughes is gone and think that Sheppard is an upgrade. Here are some good examples:

Sheppard to me looked like he was to slow to react to anything while he was here and heavy footed, the only reason he started for us because he was a drafted guy and we had ****ty linebackers. He might blossom in Indy but imo he will be a fringe guy if hes' even in the league in five years, time will tell!

defenses and kickers should be taken in the last 4 picks. No if, ands, buts about it.

Guess its my fault for warping this into fantasy... But in a typical scoring format, yes... But one of my leagues rewards team defenses 5 points per turnover, among others... SF had one game last year that scored 60 points... That's an anomy...

Byrd is getting on my nerves at this point. Put that contract bull---t aside and join your team already. He's going to get paid what a tagged player gets paid anyway. How can you sit back and watch your team play as good as they are right now and not want to join them?

Byrd's contract is guaranteed only if he is on the roster on day 1 of the season (I believe), unless the Bills and Byrd renegotiate the terms of the ONE year contract (the # of years cannot be changed). I believe the biggest issue would be that Parker will want in writing from the Bills that they will not tag him again next year. That is what will delay this signing as that is the only bargaining power for Parker.

Greg Lloyd - similar size - Hughes is heavier.

If Hughes can be half as fearsome as Greg Lloyd in his hay days, this trade will be a deal-buster for the Bills!

Greg Lloyd - similar size - Hughes is heavier.

Not bad.

There aren't a lot of players who fit Hughes' body type and skill set.

He's fairly short and thick for a pass rusher. Also his first step get-off isn't quite elite although it's good.

Dwight Freeney and Elvis Dumervil are true one-of-a-kind players but there aren't too many players who are similar to Hughes.

It seems like he'll be a nice contrast in style and change-up to Mario.

Maybe 6-7 sacks?

If Hughes can be half as fearsome as Greg Lloyd in his hay days, this trade will be a deal-buster for the Bills!

one of my all time favorites. If he ends up even a shadow of that monster ill be buying a Hughes jersey very quickly.

I happened to hear him on the John Murphy show last year and I loved his attitude. At the time I was (as most of us were) just incredibly frustrated with the team and so sick of underachievement. Listening to this guy's passion was like a breath of fresh air to me and the guy got me fired up. He's far more a student of the game than I gave him credit for and he just struck me as the type of guy I'd want to go to war with. I was rooting for him to raise his game to match his motivation.

He had motivation and work ethic, great attitude. It was also evident in preseason that we were in Trig Bubble with Shep as the MLB. I wish him well in Indy.