Changed Expectations for this season?

Reed83HOF

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're to have a fair discussion, your's is a fair point.

It's also a fair point that Indy was a wild card team last year and was playing at home.

In other words our reserves were not supposed to be dominating their reserves.

Also I thought our starters held their own to Indy's.

There was no scheming; it was straight up football us versus them. We flat out dominated their reserves...

With a new coaching staff, 2 rookie QBs, new WRS 2 new LBs, etc...It was an impressive outing.

There was no scheming; it was straight up football us versus them. We flat out dominated their reserves...

With a new coaching staff, 2 rookie QBs, new WRS 2 new LBs, etc...It was an impressive outing.

I agree 100% It was flat out entertaining. However, dominating reserves is hardly a reason to change expectations.

I agree 100% It was flat out entertaining. However, dominating reserves is hardly a reason to change expectations.

Our starters also held our own with theirs...

I can't tell you how any years it has been since it wasn't a train wreck once the starters came out of the game and yes, at times, it was a train wreck when our starters were in the game.

The enthusiasm and attitude we played with has not been seen on any of this century's Bills teams. We started off Shaky and still held our own. We then put together a very impressive 2 minute drill against a playoff team from last year that didn't have any real turnover from last season.

The real test is how we handle adversity when the game is on the line. Today basically eliminated thoughts in my mind of a terrible rebuilding season...

Its not that we won a preseason game...but how we won...each group kept getting the same results...first second third team players. The game was played smartly in all phases. We didnt barely squeak out a win nor jump out to a huge lead...we simply and slowly outplayed the colts on their field

Maronnes system lets the new and old talent shine . He yells at guys and doesnt sit by and watch like a zombie when someone makes a mistake.(jauron)

He also doesnt idle through offseasons like gailey relying on weak players who everyone knows cant play (trent,fitz,a williams,shep, donald jones)

I am super excited on so many levels for this team...if only we had last years schedule.

Edited by enlightener

Dominating reserves means that you'll stand a chance if some of your starters go down.

Edited by Big C

Wow, FlashGoodwin can really move. wow. EJ made a good start. Woods is feisty. CJ looks strong.

We shall see. We were thinking this after Losman's first regular season game, too. But lets keep a positive view. Anytime the Bills win a game, its is cause for celebration.

Edited by 8and8Forever

If the Bills lost today I would have said "Its pre-season".

They won so its only fair to say "Its pre-season". It was so much fun too watch though.

Every year there are surprise teams in this league. Last year 3 of them had rookie QB's. Why not the Buffalo Bills?

Assuming EJ becomes the starter and Tuell is a decent backup, you want a vet presence that the two rookies can go to. Unless you can find someone with ample experience, comes much cheaper, and would somehow know the offense, I'd think you keep him just to help EJ develop. I think his presence off the field may be needed more than on the field

It's pretty silly to have expectations before any game is played in the 1st place. It's also pretty silly to change them after game 1 of the preseason. But the execution was outstanding.

I think a reasonable expectation coming in was that we'd be young and it'd show, but we are also talented and that would show. Odds are we run a bit hot and cold. Today was a good day. We probably have some bad days in store too. I'm happy we got to see that potential to look good though. We needed to see it, players needed to see it. Hopefully they buy into the system a little extra and it serves as a good building block instead of the adversity out of the gate.

I think a reasonable expectation coming in was that we'd be young and it'd show, but we are also talented and that would show. Odds are we run a bit hot and cold. Today was a good day. We probably have some bad days in store too. I'm happy we got to see that potential to look good though. We needed to see it, players needed to see it. Hopefully they buy into the system a little extra and it serves as a good building block instead of the adversity out of the gate.

Oh definitely very excited. The main thing I loved is how in control the team was and the way both the offense and defense seemed to be so seasoned. It was great to see and the coaches deserved a ton of credit. Long way to go but man that was a great start.

Today's game was encouraging and entertaining.

I am optimistic, but my expectations have not changed.

My expectations were that I did not know what to expect from this team. After today I still do not know what to expect.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree with the poster who said it's not that we won, but how. We seemed energized, disciplined, and confident, which seems like a direct reflection of our coaches. I am extremely excited for the season.

Anyone remember last year's first preseason game, when Gailey hadn't even finished installing the offense, and we just did run play after run play?

When you are playing ROOKIE QB, with a Rookie coach and many new players there is no much thing as a meaningless 1ST preseason game or win. Both are needed and important, and after many years of crap dressed in a Bills uniform it is a pleasant breath of fresh air.

I agree...winning breeds confidence and really helps the coaching staff in starting to change the culture and beliefs around the team...

I don't care when it is, setting a preseason franchise record for points in your first game says SOMETHING good...

Take away from today's game:

EJ looked great on the TD pass, the only real pass he threw today. Everything else was a little dumpoff, and those did not look good. He has to work on his touch passing. Also, someone needs to teach him how to slide. Tuel, as everyone else is saying, looked very poised, no matter what level of Defense he was playing against.

O-line looked solid, good protection, good run blocking

CJ is going to be a top 3 RB. Fred worries me.

We have a lot of depth at WR, and we're going to be releasing players that other teams will be happy to get. We can talk about just about any of them positively. One I'll mention who I'm afraid we'll cut...Brandon Kaufman looked good.

Our D looks so much more aggressive. I love a team that blitzes and fakes a blitz. No vanilla looks like the Stache. CB's need some help still.

Goodwin, good lord! Awesome returns! He'll be fun to watch.

We have a new kicker. Again, some other team will be happy to get Lindell.

For the Colts, their left OT Costonzo is going to get Luck killed this year.

Still, I'm going to give it a few games. I was very encouraged today though.